Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 minutes ago, newaccount said:

https://www.facebook.com/100068909662316/posts/pfbid0etuyR8TyBwZHRyUVMS51fXSausgwj8BWZYLk3c3EVW2M7e3SG6RzE2WSYFvAKws1l/

✈️At present our runway is closed daily between👇

08:30-0905 

11:00-11:35 

13:30-14:15 

16:00-16:35 

18:30-19:15 

⁉️Why? To meet the minimum requirements for ATCO rest periods whilst maximising training availability. 

Why the recent change? We’ve needed short-term closures for some time because of the numbers of qualified staff available, but recently this number has changed again. When we are open, we also need to maximise every opportunity to train. We do everything we can to minimise the disruption to the flying public and we discuss and review these decisions a lot!  

⁉️ Why are your numbers so low? We do need more air traffic controllers for resilience, but if all the controllers we do have were fully qualified, we wouldn’t need the closure periods. However, training air traffic controllers takes a long time; 3-4 years for student controllers with no ATC background and even controllers relocating from other airports can take 12-18 months or more depending on their experience. Air traffic controllers are also in high demand across the UK, so attracting them to our lovely island can be a challenge. We know mentioning BREXIT and COVID can make some people roll their eyes, but both of these have also played a role in our challenges. 

What are we doing about it? We’ve recruited! We’ve already welcomed one experienced controller who is busy training and we hope to have another in the Autumn, both of whom replace staff leaving us. We’ll also be welcoming 3 new student air traffic controllers in the Autumn following a very competitive and popular local recruitment campaign. These new staff members are excellent news, but we mustn’t overload our training staff who need to keep their own skills sharp. 

How long will this go on for? This is likely to go on for a few months over the Summer period. We keep our airlines and operators updated regularly and are doing our best to mitigate the impacts.  

✈️ Important to note: We are not alone in this situation, with other airports having to take similar action. Aviation is a complex system with many factors affecting flight schedules and we will continue to do everything we can to resolve the issues.

I don’t really see how anyone can take issue with that.

A clear and well explained summation of the situation and why it can’t just be fixed over night and isn’t unique to the island.

I am sure a smart arse will be along shortly though 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

A clear and well explained summation of the situation and why it can’t just be fixed over night and isn’t unique to the island.

the issue is that it didn't turn to shit over night  ,  staffing levels reduced with no succession planning , peoples retirements were not exactly going to be a surprise and the fewer there were the worse it got and now we are in the shit .  the wages are good but you  can't just roll up and start asking do you want fries with that, to qualify takes time and you have to actually pass exams/tests to be allowed to continue. if i lived in ballasalla or castletown and was under 40 i'd get my name down.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

the issue is that it didn't turn to shit over night  ,  staffing levels reduced with no succession planning , peoples retirements were not exactly going to be a surprise and the fewer there were the worse it got and now we are in the shit .  the wages are good but you  can't just roll up and start asking do you want fries with that, to qualify takes time and you have to actually pass exams/tests to be allowed to continue. if i lived in ballasalla or castletown and was under 40 i'd get my name down.

But we all acknowledge that there was mismanagement in the past.  That can't be changed.  What is important is what is being done now.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, WTF said:

What has that got to do with the people who are there now and trying to fix it?

What real motivation have they got to try and move things forward of every time they raise their heads above the parapet a load of people come out all guns blazing being smart arsed on social media bleating about things that happened well before the present incumbents were in place.

As an island we seem to have an obsession with feeling on what could have been done better in the past rather than congratulating people who are trying to move things forward.

The negativity and constantly looking back rather than forward is stifling. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Asthehills said:

If a fully qualified ATCO hadn’t recently resigned citing management issues, then perhaps things would be a little better?

The notice says ‘we are not alone in this situation and other airports are having to take similar action’. Which airports are they referring to? I have just spent ten minutes trawling through UK NOTAMs and with the exception of Newcastle (which is closing for periods overnight due staff sickness), I can’t see any that are actually publishing closing for periods throughout the day.

As others have said, this hasn’t just happened overnight. Chronic mismanagement has caused this acute problem. 

Edited by madmanxpilot
Grammar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, newaccount said:

What's also important is that "lessons are learned"

It is a trite phrase, but it is important.  However, the lessons really have to be learnt and used to change what went wrong to prevent something similar going wrong in the future.  The second part of that seems to be what is missed in the learning curve. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gladys said:

What is important is what is being done now.

less than necessary would be my guess , lets see if it is all sorted in 2 years time, maybe get Mr Guard to do a video , at least a lick of paint will be thrown at the place.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Asthehills said:

The negativity and constantly looking back rather than forward is stifling. 

but what is looking back now was current and heading forward at that time, why will forward vision improve now?  lessons learnt again no doubt.

29 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

If a fully qualified ATCO hadn’t recently resigned citing management issues, then perhaps things would be a little better?

The notice says ‘we are not alone in this situation and other airports are having to take similar action’. Which airports are they referring to? I have just spent ten minutes trawling through UK NOTAMs and with the exception of Newcastle (which is closing for periods overnight due staff sickness), I can’t see any that are actually publishing closing for periods throughout the day.

As others have said, this problem hasn’t just happened overnight. Chronic mismanagement in the recent past has caused this acute problem. 

OOOOOH the elephant in the room ! Thanks MMP !!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Pilots should shut up says Chris Thomas.

Yes, because he and his cs know much more about the subject than the pilots do, without even coming out of their offices to look.

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Pilots should shut up says Chris Thomas.

To be fair, whenever we have two self-identified pilots on here opining what should be done about something airport-related, they invariably disagree about everything except that the current situation is shit.  So I know how Chris Thomas feels.

(Also citation required).