Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Over the years when it comes to Ronaldsway, both the airport management and politicians have made a series of poor decisions. The consequences of these poor decisions are now becoming apparent. The latest political ‘long-term’ solution to this ongoing debacle is hard to fathom. It seems that the ‘powers that be’ want to broaden the services offered at the airport and to turn it into an ‘international’ shopping precinct (and perhaps ‘win a mystery flight’). Unfortunately, all of this futuristic vision won’t come cheaply – the potential price tag of £300m is awesome (I assume that most of this £300m will be taxpayers’ money). I doubt that many busy people will be content to hang around at the airport for hours not knowing when or whether their flight will go (presumably, even private jets can’t land or take off when air traffic controllers are on rest/coffee breaks) - they may just take their business, and their families, elsewhere.  

Back here in the real world, when the sun is shining and we have perfect flying conditions, there is a shortage of air traffic controllers and flights are at risk. Consequently, passengers are being advised to book their flights a day before they need to fly. It is possible that the air traffic controllers’ daily rest breaks are being put in place by the airport management in the anticipation of the next year’s UK airport safety audit. I hope I am wrong, but I am concerned that, depending on the scope of the audit, the resulting report could be thoroughly damning.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cassie2 said:

So says you, Cllr. Frank Schuengel.

Most ironic given that you are one of just 12 Councillors in the island's capital Douglas whose refuse policies, spendthrift ways and 10% rates increases are all felt by many as the biggest national disgrace. 

I’m not even taking that bait. 

• Like 1

As said above in these tougher times asking people to book a day earlier just to enable you to get off the Island and make connections etc is just so wrong. So a night in hotel and sundry other expenses ,all money lost from our economy , just confirms what a shit show our airport really is. One day they will wake up and realise unless they sort out our basic infrastructure people are never moving here in a hurry. Everybody now knows flights are doubtful with very little confidence that you’re not going to be affected by delay or cancellation . I have booked a day early twice already and in November once again day before and overnight stay. I can’t really afford to but what option do you have. All down to whatever happened to recruitment in ATC it would seem. Previous management and MHK’s responsible have a lot to answer for. But they don’t care as they can afford the stop overs .   

• Like 7

46 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

As said above in these tougher times asking people to book a day earlier just to enable you to get off the Island and make connections etc is just so wrong. So a night in hotel and sundry other expenses ,all money lost from our economy , just confirms what a shit show our airport really is. One day they will wake up and realise unless they sort out our basic infrastructure people are never moving here in a hurry. Everybody now knows flights are doubtful with very little confidence that you’re not going to be affected by delay or cancellation . I have booked a day early twice already and in November once again day before and overnight stay. I can’t really afford to but what option do you have. All down to whatever happened to recruitment in ATC it would seem. Previous management and MHK’s responsible have a lot to answer for. But they don’t care as they can afford the stop overs .   

I flew to Gatwick on Friday morning. As it happened, everything went to plan and we were just 5/10 minutes late arriving there.

But, before we left, it was really noticeable how twitchy virtually everyone was at Ronaldsway. Some really unlikely looking souls gazing constantly at their phones “It’s taken off from Gatwick”, “It’s over Milton Keynes”, It’ll soon be over the sea.” and  even a young girl who collared the Menzies agent and asked “Why is he flying past us? He’s definitely going to land isn’t he.?” when the inbound flight made an unusual approach ! 

Everyone knows that between easyJet and the Airport management the whole thing is in meltdown and members of the public who would usually just rock up to the Airport and expect everything to go to plan have clearly lost all confidence.

We need rapid evidence that both guilty parties are working hard to get things back on track and to restore confidence.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I flew to Gatwick on Friday morning. As it happened, everything went to plan and we were just 5/10 minutes late arriving there.

But, before we left, it was really noticeable how twitchy virtually everyone was at Ronaldsway. Some really unlikely looking souls gazing constantly at their phones “It’s taken off from Gatwick”, “It’s over Milton Keynes”, It’ll soon be over the sea.” and  even a young girl who collared the Menzies agent and asked “Why is he flying past us? He’s definitely going to land isn’t he.?” when the inbound flight made an unusual approach ! 

Everyone knows that between easyJet and the Airport management the whole thing is in meltdown and members of the public who would usually just rock up to the Airport and expect everything to go to plan have clearly lost all confidence.

Totally, over the years it would be the exception for flights to go wrong. But now we have to take steps in advance to legislate for delays or cancellation. Over the last few days most flights seem to  be delayed for a hour or more and then add in the consistent Gatwick flight issues. 

The last Gatwick flight drama has been going on for well over a year. I was furiously checking Flightradar last June to see if the Gatwick flight was going to make it to the IOM in time to take us to Gatwick. And the late sector add-on for us has been in existence since EasyJet started here years ago with that single Liverpool flight that often didn’t make it because of crew hours/airport opening times. EasyJet could work it out fine if they were remotely interested.   

• Like 7

Looks as though EasyJet have surpassed themselves today . Gatwick flight was around 3 hours late this afternoon now it’s showing as delayed overnight and not back out until 9 am . And the evening flight is cancelled. So that’s a sum total of zero passengers leaving the island today to Gatwick . And some posters think they are the answer for the island!!!! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

We need rapid evidence that both guilty parties are working hard to get things back on track and to restore confidence.

Not to mention everyone having FlightRadar24 installed on their phones due to the airport arrivals/departures website being utterly gash.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, IOM said:

Looks as though EasyJet have surpassed themselves today . Gatwick flight was around 3 hours late this afternoon now it’s showing as delayed overnight and not back out until 9 am . And the evening flight is cancelled. So that’s a sum total of zero passengers leaving the island today to Gatwick . And some posters think they are the answer for the island!!!! 

Can they control the weather? I know they've not been great of late but today's is all weather related.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Can they control the weather? I know they've not been great of late but today's is all weather related.

Well Loganair London City managed to go albeit late and it’s scheduled back as well so they seem to be able to manage it ! 

• Like 3

It could be worse; you could have the displeasure of dealing with the incredibly unprofessional, rude lady at the airport that deals with disruptions, the face of the Isle of Man.  Your last memory of the Isle of Man before boarding your flight, being spoken to and treated like a piece of sh1t.  I acknowledge and accept that it is a difficult job. However, if you dislike the job, don't do it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well Loganair London City managed to go albeit late and it’s scheduled back as well so they seem to be able to manage it ! 

aircraft attempting to manage it is likely why manx 2 crashed at cork ,  never a good idea to take a chance.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2