Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

Manchester have heavily reduced the opening hours of their second runway due to a lack of ATC cover. Not a complete closure, but still reduces their capacity at the busiest time of year.

ETA not to say the whole thing’s not a shit show. I’m away in a week or so and I’m on the morning Gatwick. My onward flight is the following lunchtime but I’ve still got a squeaky bum about making it.

Thanks. It’s still open during the peak time and I would be very surprised if it has any significant impact on capacity to be honest. I’ve certainly not heard of any issues.

As you say, it’s not a complete closure, which Ronaldsway’s statement (disingenuously IMHO) suggested others were also doing.

I hope your travel plans go smoothly. At least you’ve left enough time to catch the boat and train to London if it all goes Pete Tong here!

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Liverpool & Manchester easyJet cancelled & Gatwick delayed 

I understand the issue is the fog but why do EasyJet cancel the whole flight rather than delay it ? I am sure it’s down to the impact on the aircraft for the rest of the day but it’s of no use to the island . 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IOM said:

I understand the issue is the fog but why do EasyJet cancel the whole flight rather than delay it ? I am sure it’s down to the impact on the aircraft for the rest of the day but it’s of no use to the island . 

I suspect you are right. EJ planes are in the air all day long. Letting one sit on the tarmac to wait for toytown airport to open isn’t making business sense for them. 

16 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

As you say, it’s not a complete closure, which Ronaldsway’s statement (disingenuously IMHO) suggested others were also doing.

I hope your travel plans go smoothly. At least you’ve left enough time to catch the boat and train to London if it all goes Pete Tong here!

I can’t find it now, but I was reading that even Swanwick has staff shortages that is impacting on capacity. Again it is a reduction and not a closure but ATC staff shortages aren’t just a Manx problem.

I suppose the problem here is that there’s no resilience as previous management cut staffing to skeleton levels. And that, in turn, upsets the remaining staff as they end up overworked and stressed, not to mention pissed off with management (who are under their own pressure) who will inevitably end up demanding more and more from the staff.  Staff shortages just make everyone frazzled and make it more likely everyone gets upset.

And yes, I’m half expecting to be on the Liverpool boat then hot-footing it to Lime Street…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Zero accountability for the decisions that have led to this situation

It's an IoMG trait unfortunately with any number of examples to illustrate.

• Thanks 1

So, with the perfect storm of:

1) ATC shortage resulting in closures 

2) Piss poor management 

3)  A smug asshole for a Minister

4) Airlines who are struggling to give a shit

5) Completely hacked off residents

How long do you reckon before Ronaldsway implodes and we need a bigger boat?

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Manx Bean said:

So, with the perfect storm of:

1) ATC shortage resulting in closures 

2) Piss poor management 

3)  A smug asshole for a Minister

4) Airlines who are struggling to give a shit

5) Completely hacked off residents

How long do you reckon before Ronaldsway implodes and we need a bigger boat?

And don’t forget about the  airport facilities that do not support operations in low visibility conditions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

And don’t forget about the  airport facilities that do not support operations in low visibility conditions.

Yes, over the weekend someone was calling Chris Thomas out on FB about the fact they had they installed CAT1 we wouldn’t be in this mess..he (being an expert naturally) was claiming that CAT1 wasn’t the perfect solution..seemingly an experienced ATC and pilots would argue otherwise?

20 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I suppose the problem here is that there’s no resilience as previous management cut staffing to skeleton levels. And that, in turn, upsets the remaining staff as they end up overworked and stressed, not to mention pissed off with management (who are under their own pressure) who will inevitably end up demanding more and more from the staff.

Agreed - and it’s not been helped with staff leaving recently either.

11 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

Good point, didn't think of that. It did a LGW to Glasgow rotation this morning, only slightly late into LGW. The IOM flight was heavily delayed and the A/Cs next flight is showing as tomorrow morning IOM to LGW. So the crew were out of hours to get back to LGW today perhaps?

Screenshot_20230618-222426_Flightradar24.jpg

When that flight Gatwick to IoM landed, there was a further 25 min delay before anyone could get off the plane - apparently  very few  ground staff to bring steps to plane and open  the doors.Having reached the terminal building passengers   then watched an empty luggage carousel revolve for  similar period before their bags appeared.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Capt_Mainwaring said:

LGW heading back. LPL still in the hold.

ETA: Looks like LPL heading in for a landing attempt

ETA 2: maybe not!

I was watching these two circling around together this morning as I was supposed to have clients over. 

I was chatting to a chap I know at the weekend who is retired ATC.  I jokingly asked if he was going to come out of retirement to help sort out this shitshow.  Turns out he is going back in a couple of weeks!