Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, Mercenary said:

I said prior to the recent timetable changes / ATC issues. Before that non-weather cancellations were pretty much the sole domain of other carriers such as Flybe/Loganair/Manx2

Looking at the 2022 cancellation figures there wasn't much to choose between the two main ones, though levels were lower:

Airport Carrier 2022
Mvmts Canx % Canx
BFS easyJet 215 3 1.40%
BRS easyJet 292 6 2.05%
LGW easyJet 1159 58 5.00%
LPL easyJet 920 17 1.85%
MAN easyJet 404 8 1.98%
DUB Emerald 520 4 0.77%
BHX Loganair 648 13 2.01%
EDI Loganair 312 10 3.21%
LHR Loganair 477 13 2.73%
LPL Loganair 1290 52 4.03%
LCY Loganair 675 50 7.41%
MAN Loganair 1367 38 2.78%
    8279 272 3.29%

easyJet 2990 92 3.08%
  Emerald 520 4 0.77%
  Loganair 4769 176 3.69%
    8279 272 3.29%

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

The IOM is the only airport in the British Isles that is completely closed  for several periods throughout the day because of a shortage of ATCOs. Yes, other places have it bad, but nowhere near as bad as here. Why?

Because they didn't have Ann Reynolds running their shows, answering to Nick Black, with political oversight from Phil Gawne?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Banker said:

Patient transfers contract being reviewed, also with pressures on government finances cannot see both City & heathrow being subsidized after next March 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/patient-transfer-contract-reviwed-625096?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1688797891

Well let’s hope we are not just left with one or two flights to Gatwick ! 

2 hours ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's a shame, they were top of the charts last time Ronaldsway was run properly.

Didn’t Boney M come to the island to perform on Seaside Special in the 1970s, certainly in the days when the island had tourists? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Banker said:

Patient transfers contract being reviewed, also with pressures on government finances cannot see both City & heathrow being subsidized after next March 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/patient-transfer-contract-reviwed-625096?utm_term=Autofeed&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1688797891

I didn't realise that the subsidy on LHR and LCY was still going, never mind that it was for two years.  An article when it was brought in said:

Speaking to a Tynwald scrutiny committee, Dr Allinson confirmed the new journeys would be underwritten and said it was a "question of use it or lose it" as to whether they would continue beyond the initial six-month period.

"We are talking about a 72-seater plane, so if we get 50 people on each of the planes, it will be at no cost to the Manx taxpayer," he said, adding the move was part of a new overall air strategy in development across the government.

So I assumed it had finished that October.

As to loadings, if you look at April figures and the passenger numbers and the (uncancelled) number of flights I've given in earlier posts:

LCY: 1466 pax on 54 flights.  Average = 27.1

LHR: 2273 on 53 flights.  Average = 42.9

LCY looks very vulnerable, which may be part of a larger pattern, its figures were only 60% of 2019 last year.

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

Didn’t Boney M come to the island to perform on Seaside Special in the 1970s, certainly in the days when the island had tourists? 

September 1979 with a stage on the playing fields of KWC, there's footage on YouTube somewhere

Edited by Non-Believer
Typo

32 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I didn't realise that the subsidy on LHR and LCY was still going, never mind that it was for two years.  An article when it was brought in said:

Speaking to a Tynwald scrutiny committee, Dr Allinson confirmed the new journeys would be underwritten and said it was a "question of use it or lose it" as to whether they would continue beyond the initial six-month period.

"We are talking about a 72-seater plane, so if we get 50 people on each of the planes, it will be at no cost to the Manx taxpayer," he said, adding the move was part of a new overall air strategy in development across the government.

So I assumed it had finished that October.

As to loadings, if you look at April figures and the passenger numbers and the (uncancelled) number of flights I've given in earlier posts:

LCY: 1466 pax on 54 flights.  Average = 27.1

LHR: 2273 on 53 flights.  Average = 42.9

LCY looks very vulnerable, which may be part of a larger pattern, its figures were only 60% of 2019 last year.

Looking at loads it’s probably costing taxpayers a lot of money then but with unreliability of easyJet I suppose it’s another option for passengers 

15 minutes ago, Banker said:

Looking at loads it’s probably costing taxpayers a lot of money then but with unreliability of easyJet I suppose it’s another option for passengers 

Well it won’t be as much as the taxpayer paid up to get EasyJet to come here . That was a whopping £44m over 15 years ago ! 

• Like 1

I thought it was an underwriting not a subsidy so unless we actually know what the current figures are we can only guess the costs, if any.

However, being left to the mercy of ezy would not appear to be a particularly attractive option for the IOM.

I wonder what  deal Jersey did with BA to preserve several daily flights to LHR.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Banker said:

Are there any press releases or statements to support this?

Yes where do you think I got it just google it ! It was effectively a subsidy to EasyJet it has been referred to in these posts earlier this year . 

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Well it won’t be as much as the taxpayer paid up to get EasyJet to come here . That was a whopping £44m over 15 years ago ! 

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

Are there any press releases or statements to support this?

21 minutes ago, IOM said:

Yes where do you think I got it just google it ! It was effectively a subsidy to EasyJet it has been referred to in these posts earlier this year . 

@IOM is referring to the runaway extension and resurfacing...

3 minutes ago, newaccount said:

@IOM is referring to the runaway extension and resurfacing...

Correct . That was how much the tax payer paid for the runway extension and resurface back in 2008 because without that Easyjet would not come . It’s not a narrative that suits a lot of people but it’s a fact . Any cost of underwriting for Loganair will be a fraction of that. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1