Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Posted on another forum in relation to Gatwick.

easyJet cancelled 24 flights yesterday, many of these after passengers had checked in. So far today, they've cancelled 11 and on time departures are running at 24% - the same as yesterday. The "plan" for 240 departures per day in the height of summer was sheer fantasy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, newaccount said:

It is cancelled

Since the turn of the month, the cancellation rate on Gatwick is running at 33% (5/15). On the late evening flight it is 42% (3/7). There have been some huge delays on those that have operated, meaning people have reached Gatwick when trains etc have finished.

@Chris Thomas @Stu Peters  when are we going to see, or hear, that IOMG are taking some real steps to address this situation directly with easyJet, to censure them, or to ask for sight of their improvement plans. 

Show us that the Airport officials and our politicians do have access to the right people at easyJet, and that you have the collective backbone to tackle this major issue.

We need to know that the IOMG cares and is trying to get some sanity restored to this important link.

If you won't talk to easyJet, what are you doing about getting Loganair (or another carrier) to step up with more seats, at sensible prices to the London Airports. 

This is turning into a major crisis for the Island. The Island simply cannot go on like this for much longer. At least show us that IOMG is taking this seriously.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8

36 minutes ago, newaccount said:

The "plan" for 240 departures per day in the height of summer was sheer fantasy.

Are they employing Ann Reynolds now....? 🤔🤭

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well yes you do keep banging that drum and it may be true sometimes

I can only go off my experience, which is there’s usually very little difference, certainly booking a month or so in advance. £110 to London last week with EasyJet including a 15kg hold bag, £125 coming back Loganair from City with a 15kg hold bag. But then the train to Gatwick is at least £15, even doing the East Croydon shuffle. Loganair to Heathrow is usually another £15 on top again as it’s a more expensive airport to use.

I think EasyJet have more intelligent/different yield management mechanisms so quiet flights can be dirt cheap even a few days in advance. Loganair are genuinely expensive close in as they seem to treat every last minute purchase as a distress purchase and charge top whack.

• Like 1

Who in their right mind would even attempt to fly on that late Gatwick flight. Surely by now you’d give it a wide berth . I certainly do. There also seems to be around 2 hour delay with most Easyjet flights recently.  

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I can only go off my experience, which is there’s usually very little difference, certainly booking a month or so in advance. £110 to London last week with EasyJet including a 15kg hold bag, £125 coming back Loganair from City with a 15kg hold bag. But then the train to Gatwick is at least £15, even doing the East Croydon shuffle. Loganair to Heathrow is usually another £15 on top again as it’s a more expensive airport to use.

I think EasyJet have more intelligent/different yield management mechanisms so quiet flights can be dirt cheap even a few days in advance. Loganair are genuinely expensive close in as they seem to treat every last minute purchase as a distress purchase and charge top whack.

Yes you’re right and Loganair are making sunshine  ( eta I mean hay)with all the distress purchases caused by Easyjet cancellations.

And who can blame them🙂

Edited by The Voice of Reason

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Who in their right mind would even attempt to fly on that late Gatwick flight. Surely by now you’d give it a wide berth . I certainly do. There seems to be around 2 hour delay with most Easyjet flights recently.  

I certainly wouldn’t book it if had anything planned or onward travel, starting to do Manchester more if Liverpool not suitable with boat as backup or even first choice 

7 minutes ago, Banker said:

I certainly wouldn’t book it if had anything planned or onward travel, starting to do Manchester more if Liverpool not suitable with boat as backup or even first choice 

Manchester is so not user friendly though in many ways. Needs must though sometimes. 

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

Where was this opinion given by Mr Peters? 

Facebook 

That’s probably a fair comment but I doubt the approach lights actually affect many flights a year. It’s fixable, and we could also upgrade the new ILS to Cat 2, but at a cost of millions and I’m not sure the benefit justifies the cost.

Edited by cheesypeas
  • Confused 1