Airport.

Billy kettlefish

6 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Are you seriously comparing City with Gatwick? Good luck checking a bag through with EZY.

You cannot  though check any bag with ezy so comparison on that point is irrelevant, however easyJet connects offers 90 min connection time including picking up and rechecking in bag.

For reference it would have failed both times I tried it

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Banker said:

So airport to blame for medical issues now and what idiot has a connection that they’re going to miss for 90 minutes delay?

I would have missed my EJ connecting flight from Gatwick had EasyJet not - in some weird case of cancelception - cancelled my initial onward flight and I had to rebook via a different airport later today. You just can’t rely on anything with that place at the moment. I know loads of people who book business trips with a one day buffer now. Who’s paying for that additional cost? 

7 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

You cannot  though check any bag with ezy so comparison on that point is irrelevant, however easyJet connects offers 90 min connection time including picking up and rechecking in bag.

For reference it would have failed both times I tried it

Just pointing out you’re comparing apples with pears.

2 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Just pointing out you’re comparing apples with pears.

Perhaps they should not be offering 90 min connection it then.

I have often made 35 min connection time at LCY but I accept there is a biggish risk. My criteria is how the company deal with the problem. BA are pretty good but you do pay a premium for that service 

7 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I know loads of people who book business trips with a one day buffer now. Who’s paying for that additional cost? 

I'm going out on a limb here..... maybe their business? 

Shockingly in this instance, probably not the taxpayer/DBC/etc.

Assuming it's some sort of office job, then they should be able to work remotely.  No loss of revenue or business, just a loss of a day at home for the unlucky individual.

I've got clients over this week.  Had 4 cancelled over the last few weeks.  We'll see how this works out.  It's almost at the point where I'm going to have to tell clients to not bother coming over.  It's a waste of everyone's time arranging meetings, lunch, hotels...

• Like 5

Of course, if there were a set of locally crewed and maintained, and dare I say owned, aircraft that were based here, with no other obligation other to fly to and from the here, then most of these cancellations wouldn’t be happening.

Yes, people bang on about Aurigny having lost huge amounts of money in the past, but they have now got their act together, rationalised their fleet and are turning a profit. 

Surely it is time to take a serious look at how we can take control of our transport arrangements rather than trust them to others who do not have us at the absolute forefront of their priorities.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

To be fair the connection time for easyjet connects is 90 min which is 3 times BA via LCY 

Anyone who leaves less than 4 or 5 hours minimum to connect with an international flight from here is just asking for it. That’s just being sensible. Anything less than that fly the day before unless you’re booked through with Logan Air and you can get rescheduled in the case of a delay. 

• Like 1

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

Of course, if there were a set of locally crewed and maintained, and dare I say owned, aircraft that were based here, with no other obligation other to fly to and from the here, then most of these cancellations wouldn’t be happening.

Yes, people bang on about Aurigny having lost huge amounts of money in the past, but they have now got their act together, rationalised their fleet and are turning a profit. 

Surely it is time to take a serious look at how we can take control of our transport arrangements rather than trust them to others who do not have us at the absolute forefront of their priorities.

We have been here a dozen times before.

I think if we look at how much has been spaffed to the Steam Racket, we could have had air routes sorted too if they could. But it’d need expert people.

I don’t agree with any form of underwriting or subsidy if we can keep it in house as you so wisely often suggest.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Anyone who leaves less than 4 or 5 hours minimum to connect with an international flight from here is just asking for it. That’s just being sensible. Anything less than that fly the day before unless you’re booked through with Logan Air and you can get rescheduled in the case of a delay. 

I flew to the Maldives recently. Loganair to LCY and over to Gatwick for the flight. City flight 3rs delayed, very close timings for making the onward flight. Shall not be doing same day connections again any time soon.

My new favourite plan is to get to Liverpool and use Lufthansa.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, x-in-man said:

Their fucking customers! Are you thick?

Fucking evidently! 

In my 20+ years of flying around the world on business, never once have I charged a client for any delays or travel apart from flights and maybe hotel and then not always as often it's classed as relationship/business development.  Do you charge your clients for sitting in an airport or hotel?  

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I flew to the Maldives recently. Loganair to LCY and over to Gatwick for the flight. City flight 3rs delayed, very close timings for making the onward flight. Shall not be doing same day connections again any time soon.

My new favourite plan is to get to Liverpool and use Lufthansa.

The Logan Air / BA ticketing partnership works fine too I had a friend fly to Asia not long ago. Logan Air flight from here was delayed massively but they were ticketed through and so they re booked them on the next BA flight to Asia and the overnight was covered under compensation. If you don’t have that reassurance I’d never leave less than 5 hours ideally flying out of here. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

We have been here a dozen times before.

I think if we look at how much has been spaffed to the Steam Racket, we could have had air routes sorted too if they could. But it’d need expert people.

I don’t agree with any form of underwriting or subsidy if we can keep it in house as you so wisely often suggest.

However sensible the idea is do you think any political person will stand up and say that easyJet are not good for the IOM air services. Lots still think it's like the Airline tv series i feel.

Aer Lingus through tickets to the US are good value as well. We made a 90 minute connection to Newark with lots of time to spare. Of course, if the IOM flight was delayed we'd have been in trouble, but as it was on one ticket it's their problem if it was delayed.

• Like 2