Airport.

Billy kettlefish

16 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Anyone who leaves less than 4 or 5 hours minimum to connect with an international flight from here is just asking for it. That’s just being sensible. Anything less than that fly the day before unless you’re booked through with Logan Air and you can get rescheduled in the case of a delay. 

The funny thing is I used to do that all the time (pre family and pre airline chaos) some of my connections were hilarious, with regular full on sprints through the airport and I never missed a flight.  Now, I don't go for a full day, but certainly at least 6 hours. 

Edited by The Phantom

3 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

The funny thing is I used to do that all the time (pre family and pre airline chaos) some of my connections were hilarious, with regular full on sprints through the airport and I never missed a flight.  Now, I don't go for a full day, but certainly at least 6 hours. 

It’s worth it for the reassurance. We went to the US earlier in the year and it was touch and go for the connecting flight after delays here but at least you can go ‘fuck it’ at some stage and know that if it all goes wrong you can get re-booked which takes a lot of the stress away. The Dublin to the US connection from here is brilliant too as above. If I was flying to Asia I certainly wouldn’t want to be sat at the airport here stressed out because I hadn’t left enough time to factor in at least a couple of hours spare. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

I'm going out on a limb here..... maybe their business? 

Shockingly in this instance, probably not the taxpayer/DBC/etc.

Assuming it's some sort of office job, then they should be able to work remotely.  No loss of revenue or business, just a loss of a day at home for the unlucky individual.

I've got clients over this week.  Had 4 cancelled over the last few weeks.  We'll see how this works out.  It's almost at the point where I'm going to have to tell clients to not bother coming over.  It's a waste of everyone's time arranging meetings, lunch, hotels...

You make it sound like this is acceptable or you’re ok with the current state of affairs? Part of the government plan is to provide a high quality of life. The added stress and time away from family and home is detrimental to that, not even touching on the impression this gives to the world that we are apparently trying to attract to here. Locate to the Isle of Man…if you can! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

Perhaps they should not be offering 90 min connection it then.

I have often made 35 min connection time at LCY but I accept there is a biggish risk. My criteria is how the company deal with the problem. BA are pretty good but you do pay a premium for that service 

I can assure you that no airline is guaranteed to help you if you're stuck these days. We deal with all carriers and tickets globally all day every day. We had a passenger cancelled by BA in the Far East this morning. Instead of booking him on the Virgin flight that left less than two hours later, they booked him on their own flight two days later. We had someone on a through ticket via Dublin and onto Emirates a couple of weeks ago. The IOM / DUB flight got in late and Emirates refused to help them. We had to sort it.

So, you may be lucky if stranded at Heathrow and on BA, but if you're not at the airlines hub airport, there's a good chance you'll need to figure it out for yourself. Airlines and airports still don't have enough staff at the moment. Plenty furloughed during covid have clearly found better jobs outside of the industry, and were not prepared to have lightening striking twice.

12 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

I can assure you that no airline is guaranteed to help you if you're stuck these days. We deal with all carriers and tickets globally all day every day. We had a passenger cancelled by BA in the Far East this morning. Instead of booking him on the Virgin flight that left less than two hours later, they booked him on their own flight two days later. We had someone on a through ticket via Dublin and onto Emirates a couple of weeks ago. The IOM / DUB flight got in late and Emirates refused to help them. We had to sort it.

So, you may be lucky if stranded at Heathrow and on BA, but if you're not at the airlines hub airport, there's a good chance you'll need to figure it out for yourself. Airlines and airports still don't have enough staff at the moment. Plenty furloughed during covid have clearly found better jobs outside of the industry, and were not prepared to have lightening striking twice.

I can only go on my experience and BA have always been good to sort out but I also know how to sort it out myself, having family in the airline business, and enforce my rights if necessary and will book anothet carrier, claim back and take to ADR or small claims if required.

I will agree it can be a bit of a lottery at first contact with the call centres or "customer service" though.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

I'm going out on a limb here..... maybe their business? 

Shockingly in this instance, probably not the taxpayer/DBC/etc.

Assuming it's some sort of office job, then they should be able to work remotely.  No loss of revenue or business, just a loss of a day at home for the unlucky individual.

I've got clients over this week.  Had 4 cancelled over the last few weeks.  We'll see how this works out.  It's almost at the point where I'm going to have to tell clients to not bother coming over.  It's a waste of everyone's time arranging meetings, lunch, hotels...

charter your own aircraft, you only have the shitness of ATC to deal with then

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

Anyone who leaves less than 4 or 5 hours minimum to connect with an international flight from here is just asking for it. That’s just being sensible. Anything less than that fly the day before unless you’re booked through with Logan Air and you can get rescheduled in the case of a delay. 

Bollox. For thirty years I flew to the rock from the continent two or three times a year - never once did a flight get cancelled, never once did I miss a connection.

What's happening now is ineptitude of massive magnitude.

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

Surely it is time to take a serious look at how we can take control of our transport arrangements rather than trust them to others who do not have us at the absolute forefront of their priorities.

We? Where's the competence to run an airline?

12 minutes ago, Boo Gay'n said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-66153416

"The airline has axed flights during July, August and September, travelling to and from Gatwick airport.

Easyjet blamed constrained airspace over Europe and ongoing air traffic control difficulties, which are causing regular cancellations."

Not only IOM then.

But Jersey, as I am sure @Banker will tell you,  keeps 4 daily flights to Lgw. Maybe due to the fact it is subject to competition from BA mainline to LHR?.

IOM is suffering a 50% cut on certain days, how many other domestic Ezy services from LGW are?.

Edited by ellanvannin2010
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

But Jersey, as I am sure @Banker will tell you,  keeps 4 daily flights to Lgw. Maybe due to the fact it is subject to competition from BA mainline to LHR?.

IOM is suffering a 50% cut on certain days, how many other domestic Ezy services from LGW are?.

I was about to say a similar thing. EZY have cut about 2% of their flights across their whole network this summer. I haven’t done the maths, but that percentage is a lot higher for flights to and from the IOM.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

You make it sound like this is acceptable or you’re ok with the current state of affairs? Part of the government plan is to provide a high quality of life. The added stress and time away from family and home is detrimental to that, not even touching on the impression this gives to the world that we are apparently trying to attract to here. Locate to the Isle of Man…if you can! 

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change" 

No, it is far from acceptable and no, I am not ok with it.  However, I/we had the chance to effect change through Govt 2 years ago, but it seems that despite their most recent jingos or hare-brained schemes, they are riding the gravy train of incompetence, that will quite remarkably reach a depth significantly below their predecessors.  Short of someone arranging a riot and a coup (which I would 100% be behind, I have my pitch fork and Guy Fawkes mask waiting) they are going to be similarly impotent for the next 2 years.  They even appointed a new person to run the Airport, who again is completely feckless.  So no, I could not change a bloody thing.  So best to accept it, adapt, overcome and pray that the Island can survive its slide into oblivion due to completely ineffectual management.  

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

If we were serious about going down this road, I’d start off by talking to our friends in Guernsey. 

I believe they made some sort of offer to explore covering shared routes immediately after covid as they were trying to make it more profitable and we turned them down. 

• Like 1