Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change" 

No, it is far from acceptable and no, I am not ok with it.  However, I/we had the chance to effect change through Govt 2 years ago, but it seems that despite their most recent jingos or hare-brained schemes, they are riding the gravy train of incompetence, that will quite remarkably reach a depth significantly below their predecessors.  Short of someone arranging a riot and a coup (which I would 100% be behind, I have my pitch fork and Guy Fawkes mask waiting) they are going to be similarly impotent for the next 2 years.  They even appointed a new person to run the Airport, who again is completely feckless.  So no, I could not change a bloody thing.  So best to accept it, adapt, overcome and pray that the Island can survive its slide into oblivion due to completely ineffectual management.  

Sigh….I’m inclined to reluctantly agree with you. Just not sure how long this clownshow can continue. 

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

I believe they made some sort of offer to explore covering shared routes immediately after covid as they were trying to make it more profitable and we turned them down. 

Yes, I understand that to be the case. As they have already entertained the notion of a joint operation, it should be a simple dialogue to restart. 

Set up properly, there will be plenty of advantages to both our communities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Sigh….I’m inclined to reluctantly agree with you. Just not sure how long this clownshow can continue. 

Well if someone at DBC could get behind the coup?  We'll need somewhere to meet and catering.

3 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Yes, I understand that to be the case. As they have already entertained the notion of a joint operation, it should be a simple dialogue to restart. 

Set up properly, there will be plenty of advantages to both our communities.

Dialogue?  I shall refer you to Crogga... 

EasyJet pissed off their staff and so a lot left, never to return. So they are down on staff, to the extent they removed the last row from some of their A319 aircraft so it could fly with one less cabin crew member. This means they can’t recover from disruption, and in fairness the ATC strikes in Europe are causing plenty of that.

I don’t think we need to set up our own airline, there’s no reason we can’t get what we need from Loganair who do understand the PSO market. I can’t see a link with Aurigny doing anything different. But regardless of airline that will require long-term investment, both subsidy and investment in proper hangar and maintenance here (I can’t help but think parking the ATRs outside in the cold and rain in winter contributes to their unreliability) and I’m not sure there’s the appetite for that.

Loganair are offering to assist those who have had their Easyjet flights cancelled with discounts onbygeir flights.  Good PR and practical help in the current dire situation.   I hope they can make a difference not just for their own position but also for IOM PLC. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

EasyJet pissed off their staff and so a lot left, never to return. So they are down on staff, to the extent they removed the last row from some of their A319 aircraft so it could fly with one less cabin crew member. This means they can’t recover from disruption, and in fairness the ATC strikes in Europe are causing plenty of that.

I don’t think we need to set up our own airline, there’s no reason we can’t get what we need from Loganair who do understand the PSO market. I can’t see a link with Aurigny doing anything different. But regardless of airline that will require long-term investment, both subsidy and investment in proper hangar and maintenance here (I can’t help but think parking the ATRs outside in the cold and rain in winter contributes to their unreliability) and I’m not sure there’s the appetite for that.

I could never understand why Government were happy for lots of local employment to up and leave as a consequence of attracting the orange fin ! Lots of aircrew, engineers and ground staff of all sorts, either re located , changed jobs or many sub contracted abroad and paid taxes off the island. A very short sighted mistake, and one which over and above the shambles we are in at the moment cost the treasury dear !

Meanwhile current airport hierarchy are busy formulating the "masterplan" whilst Rome burns ! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Loganair are offering to assist those who have had their Easyjet flights cancelled with discounts onbygeir flights.  

Is that Gaelic?  😉

Edited by The Phantom
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, asitis said:

I could never understand why Government were happy for lots of local employment to up and leave as a consequence of attracting the orange fin !

Same. Flybe had a proper base here and gradually it whittled away due to the competition from EasyJet. That’s business but it seems short-sighted to have been so desperate to get EasyJet here.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Well if someone at DBC could get behind the coup?  We'll need somewhere to meet and catering.

Dialogue?  I shall refer you to Crogga... 

As long as the meetings are done by 530. That’s when they lock town hall. And the bar is off limits. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I don’t think we need to set up our own airline, there’s no reason we can’t get what we need from Loganair who do understand the PSO market.

The only reason why I would disagree with that sentiment is that I believe we would be best served by an arrangement that is not dependent on the continued operation of a private company. If, god forbid, Loganair folded for whatever reason, then we would be left at the mercy of other operators to pick up the pieces. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

The only reason why I would disagree with that sentiment is that I believe we would be best served by an arrangement that is not dependent on the continued operation of a private company. If, god forbid, Loganair folded for whatever reason, then we would be left at the mercy of other operators to pick up the pieces. 

Absolutely and Loganair creams the profits in a subsidy arrangement. It also means a never ending cycle of funding to a private company.

We could learn from Guernsey and be self-sufficient, quite easily, I think.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Absolutely and Loganair creams the profits in a subsidy arrangement. It also means a never ending cycle of funding to a private company.

We could learn from Guernsey and be self-sufficient, quite easily, I think.

The land of milk and honey's airline did cost £10m p/a [1] to run (and that was for the period of 2009-2019, at the same rate would likely be £15m now)

[1] https://guernseypress.com/news/2019/11/06/aurigny-has-cost-taxpayer-100m/ 

4 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

The land of milk and honey's airline did cost £10m p/a [1] to run (and that was for the period of 2009-2019, at the same rate would likely be £15m now)

[1] https://guernseypress.com/news/2019/11/06/aurigny-has-cost-taxpayer-100m/ 

Not the case any more.

Aurigny Making Profit.

This because they have made significant improvements in the way they do business.

‘Aircraft productivity was increased by 36%, staff proactivity by 5.8% and fuel consumption was reduced by 10% – the equivalent to 1.4m. litres.

The airline made this improvement by switching to more ATR flights as opposed to the Embraer jet, which is 35% more fuel-heavy per seat than the ATRs. It also ensured flights were full of passengers, with fewer empty seats.’