Airport.

Billy kettlefish

11 minutes ago, manxchester said:

North Quay when the food markets next on?... 😐

I like your thinking.  But it would impact my health and safety policy.  One of the rioters is bound to fall in the harbour, and I can't supply sufficient life jackets. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

I was about to say a similar thing. EZY have cut about 2% of their flights across their whole network this summer. I haven’t done the maths, but that percentage is a lot higher for flights to and from the IOM.

The flight cut on Gatwick is 17% (2/12). Not sure of the mix of A319/A320 which you'd need to calculate the capacity cut.

As you say, a lot higher than the network cut overall.

More bizarre, is that they've left the evening flights untouched, where they have a cancellation rate of 42% this month, so still exposing themselves to the likelihood of more refunds, compensation, HOTAC and reputational damage. 

It does all look like a panic driven course of action which has not been thought through at all.

12 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Not the case any more.

Aurigny Making Profit.

This because they have made significant improvements in the way they do business.

‘Aircraft productivity was increased by 36%, staff proactivity by 5.8% and fuel consumption was reduced by 10% – the equivalent to 1.4m. litres.

The airline made this improvement by switching to more ATR flights as opposed to the Embraer jet, which is 35% more fuel-heavy per seat than the ATRs. It also ensured flights were full of passengers, with fewer empty seats.’

Why not make an offer to the Bond Brothers and run Loganair at arms length like the IOMSPCo? One of the current directors is ex Manx Airlines I believe. 

4 hours ago, The Phantom said:

The funny thing is I used to do that all the time

We all did - because we had an airline based here.  Unless there were really extenuating  circumstances, flights ran nearly always to schedule.

For those of you who have repeatedly decried the calls from those of us who have called for an air service run FOR the Island and not be subject to the whims of organisations who could not give a damn about this increasingly godforsaken rock, you deserve all the delays, cancellations and disruption that are sure as hell coming your way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

The flight cut on Gatwick is 17% (2/12). Not sure of the mix of A319/A320 which you'd need to calculate the capacity cut.

As you say, a lot higher than the network cut overall.

More bizarre, is that they've left the evening flights untouched, where they have a cancellation rate of 42% this month, so still exposing themselves to the likelihood of more refunds, compensation, HOTAC and reputational damage. 

It does all look like a panic driven course of action which has not been thought through at all.

And the fact it’s the evening flight that is untouched if it does not operate as running too late then there will no flights to Gatwick at all on some days . And some people think EasyJet have brought about a step change . I guess that’s right in a way -a step backwards! 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Not the case any more.

Aurigny Making Profit.

This because they have made significant improvements in the way they do business.

‘Aircraft productivity was increased by 36%, staff proactivity by 5.8% and fuel consumption was reduced by 10% – the equivalent to 1.4m. litres.

The airline made this improvement by switching to more ATR flights as opposed to the Embraer jet, which is 35% more fuel-heavy per seat than the ATRs. It also ensured flights were full of passengers, with fewer empty seats.’

DfE would probably be convinced but I'm a bit more skeptical that losing £90m for 20 years and then having one OK year is a 'success'. You only have to look at Manx Radio or Steam Packet in a few years to see how bloated an IOMG version would be, with various accounting fiddles/subventions to hide the true economic reality.

Also states they're still hoping for the runway extension.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gladys said:

Loganair are offering to assist those who have had their Easyjet flights cancelled with discounts onbygeir flights.  Good PR and practical help in the current dire situation.   I hope they can make a difference not just for their own position but also for IOM PLC. 

Well not quite Glad. The Loganair “rescue “ package only applies in respect of Easy flights booked up to 17 July.
My cancelled EJ flights to Gatwick was on the 18th so had already rebooked with Loganair same day to LHR at about four times the price inc luggage et al.

As an aside what does anyone reckon my chances of getting 216 compensation for the cancelled Easyjet flight is?

Cancellation notice was less  than two weeks ( 8th July) No real explanation given for cancellation.

6 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Well not quite Glad. The Loganair “rescue “ package only applies in respect of Easy flights booked up to 17 July.
My cancelled EJ flights to Gatwick was on the 18th so had already rebooked with Loganair same day to LHR at about four times the price inc luggage et al.

As an aside what does anyone reckon my chances of getting 216 compensation for the cancelled Easyjet flight is?

Cancellation notice was less  than two weeks ( 8th July) No real explanation given for cancellation.

You should get EU261 in these circumstances. When I was due it, they paid out very quickly.

29 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

DfE would probably be convinced but I'm a bit more skeptical that losing £90m for 20 years and then having one OK year is a 'success'. You only have to look at Manx Radio or Steam Packet in a few years to see how bloated an IOMG version would be, with various accounting fiddles/subventions to hide the true economic reality.

Also states they're still hoping for the runway extension.

The issues that were pulling them so far into the red have been resolved, so unless something else comes out of the woodwork, why would those losses return?.

The runway extension you highlight is, as the article says, for Alderney, not Guernsey. Alderney used to be served by Britten Norman Trislanders which could get in and out of the very short runway no problem. The longest one of the three runways they have there is just 877 metres, less than half the length of Ronaldsway’s. The aircraft that go there now, Dornier 228s can manage too, but Aurigny would like to use the ATR. It’s not possible with that short runway length at the moment hence an extension being needed.

If the runway is extended, Aurigny will be able to remove the Dornier from it’s fleet, making more savings through fleet rationalisation.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

I believe we would be best served by an arrangement that is not dependent on the continued operation of a private company.

I definitely agree with your thinking, but getting into bed with Aurigny would be equally dependent on others, just the Guernsey government and not the Bond brothers.

I’m also sceptical about Aurigny’s reported profit after 20 years of eye-watering losses, £90m since 2016 alone. Higher loads and binning off the thirsty ERJ145s both help but doesn’t really explain all of it.

4 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Loganair creams the profits in a subsidy arrangement. It also means a never ending cycle of funding to a private company.

Do they though? Loganair’s margins aren’t particularly extravagant: £5m on a turnover of £160m last year.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

EU/UK261 is compensation or refund, so if you’ve agreed a refund that’s it. It’s also worth noting the compensation- as opposed to reimbursement of expenses/ only applies if you travel with them.

You may have more chance arguing that the evening flight is too much of a delay and sending them the bill for the Loganair tickets. But expect pushback as the evening flight is the same day.