Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I definitely agree with your thinking, but getting into bed with Aurigny would be equally dependent on others, just the Guernsey government and not the Bond brothers.

I’m also sceptical about Aurigny’s reported profit after 20 years of eye-watering losses, £90m since 2016 alone. Higher loads and binning off the thirsty ERJ145s both help but doesn’t really explain all of it.

Do they though? Loganair’s margins aren’t particularly extravagant: £5m on a turnover of £160m last year.

The demise of FlyBe removed a competitor and will have helped the turnaround.

BTW, Aurigny never had EMB-145's. The only jet they've ever operated is the EMB-195 which they still fly, mainly to Gatwick.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Nellie said:

BTW, Aurigny never had EMB-145's. The only jet they've ever operated is the EMB-195 which they still fly, mainly to Gatwick.  

You’re quite right, my mistake. The E195 is the plane that sank Flybe v1.0 too.

IIRC BlueIslands was the Flybe partner there and they’re still going.

34 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

The issues that were pulling them so far into the red have been resolved, so unless something else comes out of the woodwork, why would those losses return?.

Fair enough on runway comments.

I just don't think it's realistic to judge a historically highly unprofitable carrier on one profitable year.

Pressures are also different within a privately owned business to a publicly owned (with generally higher staff costs & better conditions, trending upwards over time). Who can allocate resources and investment better - public or private? Generally you would say the private sector (the 'invisible hand') - perhaps not in a monopolistic market but if there is the conditions for competition you'd question why the government need to run an operation.

10 minutes ago, Mercenary said:

Fair enough on runway comments.

I just don't think it's realistic to judge a historically highly unprofitable carrier on one profitable year.

Pressures are also different within a privately owned business to a publicly owned (with generally higher staff costs & better conditions, trending upwards over time). Who can allocate resources and investment better - public or private? Generally you would say the private sector (the 'invisible hand') - perhaps not in a monopolistic market but if there is the conditions for competition you'd question why the government need to run an operation.

Quite simply, because it is such a critical pert of our national infrastructure we should have total control over it. If that comes at a premium, then so be it.

I understand that one swallow a summer does not make, but the things they have changed will continue to have a positive effect to their bottom line. Time will tell of course.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Yes, I understand that to be the case. As they have already entertained the notion of a joint operation, it should be a simple dialogue to restart. 

Set up properly, there will be plenty of advantages to both our communities.

British Island Airways anyone? 

31 minutes ago, Banker said:

Airport director confirms that easyJet don’t consult on changes & why should they it’s a commercial decision 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/route-changes-are-out-of-the-airports-control/

He's right, he's useless but he's right ! Another premier league bullshitter without a clue how to run a commercial airport .

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, TheTeapot said:

The past is the future

Shorts 360 - Manx Airlines - Airliners Now

When Manx Airlines closed there wasn’t one voice (apart from a politician or two) who thought it was a good move. The combined voices of dissent forecast that it would end up a shit show. As ever, they were right. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, asitis said:

He's right, he's useless but he's right ! Another premier league bullshitter without a clue how to run a commercial airport .

easyJet's PR people could have written that statement. You get the sense that he's more interested in defending their  actions than supporting the interests of the travelling public and the tax payer. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

easyJet's PR people could have written that statement. You get the sense that he's more interested in defending their  actions than supporting the interests of the travelling public and the tax payer. 

He is only interested in developing the masterplan it's good CV material ! He can speak 5000 words and say and do nothing !

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

EU/UK261 is compensation or refund, so if you’ve agreed a refund that’s it. It’s also worth noting the compensation- as opposed to reimbursement of expenses/ only applies if you travel with them.

You may have more chance arguing that the evening flight is too much of a delay and sending them the bill for the Loganair tickets. But expect pushback as the evening flight is the same day.

Well I’ve agreed a refund as that was one of only three options presented to me ( take flight, voucher or refund). There was of course no mention of pursuing compensation or that accepting a refund would preclude one from doing so.

From my reading I believe the conditions for compensation have been met being less than two weeks notice of cancellation, and alternative flight offering being more than five hours after original flight. Subject to of course EJ not saying cancellation was not their fault.

I have also read articles and advice that in such circumstances both refund and compensation may be payable.

I will submit my claim and see what happens.

This is what I’m referring to:-

From refundor.com

When is it possible to get a refund for a cancelled flight?

You can get a refund for a cancelled flight every single time, if you choose so. As long as it’s a flight cancellation initiated by the airline. You don’t have to agree to alternative flights, if you don’t want to. According to the Regulation UK261, you are entitled to a full refund in case of flight cancellation, no matter the reason or timing of the cancellation.

If you are traveling on an airline that is registered in the UK and your flight gets cancelled, you are entitled to a refund. However, if you are flying with a non-European airline, you can only receive a refund if your flight was departing from a European airport.

Sometimes you can get both — it’s super simple:

• If your flight is cancelled up to 2 weeks before departure, you can get BOTH - a refund or new flight and UK flight cancellation compensation;
  • If your flight is cancelled more than 2 weeks before departure, you can get a refund or new flight to your destination.