Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

But there are options for Gatwick as well Southern are still running to London Bridge (and Croydon East) and other operators to non-London destinations (such as Reading) or trans-London ones such as Peterborough.  It's just that, as often happens, a London terminus is closed for planned maintenance during a holiday period.

People really have to abandon this fantasy that the Island 'needs' a Heathrow link, despite having managed without for so long.  City is useful for those doing business in Central London and for those who live central-ish London, but there may be questions over its long-term viability.

See below from sky news it’s nothing to do with planned maintenance! And my point about options is there only one train line from Gatwick whereas other airports have several rail options . Perhaps people should get away from the fantasy that they think the island needs can all be met by EasyJet! 

Southern Railway has announced it will be running no trains to or from London Victoria until 10 January due to "coronavirus isolation and sickness"

• Confused 1

24 minutes ago, IOM said:

See below from sky news it’s nothing to do with planned maintenance! And my point about options is there only one train line from Gatwick whereas other airports have several rail options . Perhaps people should get away from the fantasy that they think the island needs can all be met by EasyJet! 

Southern Railway has announced it will be running no trains to or from London Victoria until 10 January due to "coronavirus isolation and sickness"

Thameslink is still running isn't it?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IOM said:

Well according to that very Sky News article:

Planned re-signalling work at London Victoria had already resulted in most Southern trains due to serve the station between 27 December and 3 January being diverted to run to and from London Bridge.

This was timed to coincide with the festive period when demand for travel is low.

Since you had originally claimed:

No Gatwick Express or Southern train services into London Victoria due to staff shortages. Largely down to staff absence arising from the virus but it’s been quite a common issue for several years on that route

I was just pointing out that that wasn't the case currently - what's happened is that Southern have extended that for some days because of Covid's effect on staffing (and I suspect demand).

As for Gatwick, I didn't mention easyJet.  I believe other airlines are allowed to fly from there.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, IOM said:

It has everything to do with planned maintenance.

https://www.southernrailway.com/travel-information/plan-your-journey/service-updates?uq=637765704519450000#INC0C244924F9E347E7B77F1112FDB28D7B

There have been no trains in or out of Victoria towards Brighton since Xmas. As this link shows, this was due to planned engineering works which was due to be finished by 3rd January. It will now run in until 10th. As @Roger Mexicopoints out this is not a big deal as there are many other options to other London stations and beyond.

Maybe, as new year resolution, you can stop constantly obsessing about service to Heathrow, London City, night-stopping aircraft, easyJet schedules and motivation, and generally chill out.  

13 minutes ago, Nellie said:

Maybe, as new year resolution, you can stop constantly obsessing about service to Heathrow, London City, night-stopping aircraft, easyJet schedules and motivation, and generally chill out.  

How ridiculous do you not realise this is a forum for sharing views and opinions if you don’t like them put forward your own or don’t read them nobody is forcing you too . The alternative is to leave the island to have one or two flights a day into London Gatwick and see what happens no investment a loss of business etc . What is there right now might suit you but I know for a fact it’s causing a big problem for a lot of people and business .  The reason I keep making the points I do is to try and encourage people to think beyond their own personal needs and take a wider view for the island the and until it gets resolved I will keep sharing my opinions !!!! 

• Like 4

On 12/31/2021 at 3:41 PM, Roger Mexico said:

People really have to abandon this fantasy that the Island 'needs' a Heathrow link, despite having managed without for so long.

The problem with the Gatwick link we currently have is that EasyJet don't have interline agreements with other airlines. And, even if they did, most long-haul flights are now from Heathrow not Gatwick anyway.

So the consequence is that you can't check bags straight through and if one of the flights is delayed then you're screwed. Taking possible delays into account adds time and expense (going the day before and getting a hotel, having to queue at bag-drop twice, etc) to any long-haul journey.

Loganair have interline agreements so you can get to the US via Manchester, or the Middle East and beyond via Manchester or Birmingham. Aer Lingus coming back helps via Dublin too. Maybe that's enough. I'm not convinced, though.

Edited by Ringy Rose

17 minutes ago, snowman said:

easyJet have expanded their partner airlines to offer connections when booked here. Also have an agreement with DBahn rail 

https://worldwide.easyjet.com/

Worldwide by EasyJet is nothing more than a glorified insurance policy sold by a company called DoHop. It doesn't do anything that a decent travel insurance policy doesn't do. It's not an interline or codeshare agreement.

19 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Worldwide by EasyJet is nothing more than a glorified insurance policy sold by a company called DoHop. It doesn't do anything that a decent travel insurance policy doesn't do. It's not an interline or codeshare agreement.

I see the IOM Airport director finally jacked it in around October last year 

http://www.iomtoday.co.im/article.cfm?id=62086

And a new interim airport director was appointed on the 16th October

https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/interim-airport-director-appointed/

I see you registered on this forum a few days before hand. 

What’s the betting you have a ginger muff Ringy Rose? 

Edited by Paulos The Great
Muff
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Paulos The Great said:

What’s the betting you have a ginger muff Ringy Rose? 

That's no way to talk about the cat.

No, I'm Jezza Spake. You can have your five pounds.

(*for the avoidance of doubt, and on the advice of my lawyers, I can confirm I have never starred in a hit BBC fly-on-the-wall documentary)

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

The problem with the Gatwick link we currently have is that EasyJet don't have interline agreements with other airlines. And, even if they did, most long-haul flights are now from Heathrow not Gatwick anyway.

So the consequence is that you can't check bags straight through and if one of the flights is delayed then you're screwed. Taking possible delays into account adds time and expense (going the day before and getting a hotel, having to queue at bag-drop twice, etc) to any long-haul journey.

Loganair have interline agreements so you can get to the US via Manchester, or the Middle East and beyond via Manchester or Birmingham. Aer Lingus coming back helps via Dublin too. Maybe that's enough. I'm not convinced, though.

Did a trip to New York via Dublin with Aer Lingus a few years ago. Went like a dream. Came back from NY to Dublin had half an hours wait at the adjoining gate to get back to the Island

• Like 1