Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

I just loved the smell. If you stayed long enough it seemed to impregnate your very being. I can still smell it now! 

Don’t want to derail, but this is one of my many uncles pulling said rock

…..the airport will still be shit tomorrow 

IMG_0820.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The revelations raised by Paul Moulton are intriguing. 

If there is substance behind them and the UK CAA have genuine concerns then the Government should be open and honest about it. There is nothing to be gained by trying to hide it (except perhaps giving some civil servants and easier time). If the concerns are serious then it's in the public interest for them to be aired. 

I found it odd that the Government classified the results of the CAA inspection/emergency exercise a few months ago... claiming something about terrorism. A partial redaction would have been understandable, but a pass/fail in different areas shouldn't pose any risk. 

It was rumoured that the exercise they held on the rock armour a few weeks ago was part of remedial measures demanded by the CAA when they found there was no plan for that eventuality. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, 0bserver said:

The revelations raised by Paul Moulton are intriguing. 

If there is substance behind them and the UK CAA have genuine concerns then the Government should be open and honest about it. There is nothing to be gained by trying to hide it (except perhaps giving some civil servants and easier time). If the concerns are serious then it's in the public interest for them to be aired. 

I found it odd that the Government classified the results of the CAA inspection/emergency exercise a few months ago... claiming something about terrorism. A partial redaction would have been understandable, but a pass/fail in different areas shouldn't pose any risk. 

It was rumoured that the exercise they held on the rock armour a few weeks ago was part of remedial measures demanded by the CAA when they found there was no plan for that eventuality. 

Yes, there were clearly indications that when Cobb arrived he was horrified at what he found in terms of statutory compliance.  Reynolds was very good at inventing regulations when she wanted to get her own way, but less keen on actually following those that existed, and there was literally no one qualified in charge for the ten months or so before Cobb came (I still don't know how they got away with that).

I saw somewhere that there's a (UK) CAA inspection due sometime this Autumn and this may be related to that.  Of course this also raises the question what the IOM CAA were doing to make sure things ran properly at the Airport where they are actually based.

• Like 9

Paul Moulton’s tweet states that the issue would not be tolerated in the UK as ‘working regulations’ are not being met.

That in itself raises a few serious questions.

The obvious one is why is it tolerated here? 

It is normal to put an improvement notice in place if the regulator is aware of significant failings, with a timeline for matters to be corrected. Obviously it all depends on the seriousness of the deficiency as to how long the regulator is prepared to allow for the rectification to be made.

One has to wonder what happens if the deficiency isn’t corrected within the prescribed timescale? The ultimate sanction would be to close the airport down. However, is the relationship between the IOM CAA and the Airport, both government run entities after all, too close to allow them the freedom to act in the same way as if they were totally independent?  

The more I’ve thought about this today, the more I think that  a massive can of worms has been opened.

The person or persons who have asked Paul Moulton to publicise this must feel this is the only way to raise the issue. One has to suspect (and hope) that they’ve tried the formal channels prior to taking this step.

• Thanks 2

I know there are various issues involving the Manx CAA who are clearly looking to make changes. Something has occurred involving the supply of avgas which is why light aircraft / twins, don't have any fuel at the moment.

Maybe people who knew Reynolds was unfit for purpose should have been taken more notice of !

Government HR are not very good at recruitment tbh.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Banker said:

Good start to week with 2 cancellations, nothing to do with Iom airport 

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/flights-cancelled-due-to-crew-sickness/

Exactly Loganair and EasyJet are not providing a reliable service . The ATC issues are well documented but the airlines themselves are very often at fault for cancellations and delays . 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lcd said:

Does anyone know who actually signs Ronaldsway off? Is it the UK agency or the Isle of man Caa? 

One of life's mysteries. I've never understood the role of the IOMCAA. Every time something contentious crops up they state that they have to comply with the UK CAA.

51 minutes ago, lcd said:

Does anyone know who actually signs Ronaldsway off? Is it the UK agency or the Isle of man Caa? 

It is my understanding that the IOM CAA has total regulatory authority over our airport and it’s associated functions.

It is also my understanding however, that as discussed on these forums a few weeks ago in relation to state governance as a whole, if the UK Government becomes significantly concerned, they could possibly intervene.

There is plenty of information here on the IOM CAA’s role and responsibilities.

IOM CAA responsibilities.

And contained within the above is the following.

IOM CAA Regulatory Enforcement Policy.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1