Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

The cops haven't really grasped these days that public confidence and public trust depends on media coverage. A 2 minute talking head piece usually covers it so they can get on with investigating.

Don't tell me. Let me guess:

You tried over and over to make this point when you lived here but nobody would listen.

Type of thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

CR came across very well tbh and I too feel his reluctance to travel by air is just because of reliability issues and nothing sinister. I mean who honestly on here hasn’t got the same worries. I booked weeks ago and changed to a day before because of what’s happening at our airport 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

I mean who honestly on here hasn’t got the same worries. I booked weeks ago and changed to a day before because of what’s happening at our airport 

I’ve had two MHKs say to me recently “I’d rather go away privately at my own cost than have treatment at Nobles” and I read Robertshaws comments about the airport the same. It certainly doesn’t sound just about reliability. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, offshoremanxman said:

I’ve had two MHKs say to me recently “I’d rather go away privately at my own cost than have treatment at Nobles” and I read Robertshaws comments about the airport the same. It certainly doesn’t sound just about reliability. 

I doubt any MHKs would be speaking to anyone like you , another made up story 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, genericUserName said:

Don't tell me. Let me guess:

You tried over and over to make this point when you lived here but nobody would listen.

Type of thing.

Not really - had an excellent relationship with the press for over a decade. Its more the general way comms has gone. The Public doesn't get as full a picture which is when rumour, conjecture and hysteria creeps in.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

People though are never happy and want all the details straight away and if it doesn't suit their narrative then they just call it all a cover up etc. Look at the nonsense spouted by people when that lady in the UK fell in the river. Police gave details loads of people said nah husband was having an affair and bumped her off. 

Fact is to many people have to little going on in their life they need to find drama from somewhere 

14 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

Worked really well when that woman fell in the river in Lancaster. The police said they thought she’d fallen in the river but, no, the amateur sleuths knew better and hounded the family and hounded the police with all sorts of outlandish crap. In the end the police had to reveal a lot of personal information just to shut them up. Turns out she fell in the river.

As for this incident, you can see the plane’s path on FlightRadar24 if you’re so inclined. Beyond that it’s just rubber-necking.

The comms on the Nicola Bulley case weren't great. It needed a stronger talking head and the SIO front and centre.

A bit like the 'burglary spree' a few years ago. If.you don't fully purge the vacuum, others will fill it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

The comms on the Nicola Bulley case weren't great. It needed a stronger talking head and the SIO front and centre.

A bit like the 'burglary spree' a few years ago. If.you don't fully purge the vacuum, others will fill it.

The comms were fine but the leeches weren't happy and in this age of 24 hour news and needing to have everything now they couldn't just let the police/divers do their job.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 1:04 PM, Roger Mexico said:

The IOM CAA was set up the same time as the Aircraft Registry (2007) and was presumably part of the legal requirement for that with regard to there being acceptable separate aircraft regulation.  The same thing happened at a similar time in Jersey/Guernsey. 

Taking over nominal supervision of the Airport was presumably a side-effect, though it's clear that they were supposed to follow the UK very closely and some things (such as statistics) are still done there.  But the UK will still be ultimately responsible for making sure that the IOM complies, because the UK will be the one involved in signing the relevant international agreements.

Doing a bit of research Roger, does it not seem a bit strange that if the UK are in charge, that the Isle of Man branch have produced their own rules? 

https://www.gov.im/categories/business-and-industries/civil-aviation-administration-caa/document-library/caa-publications-and-forms/

17 minutes ago, lcd said:

Doing a bit of research Roger, does it not seem a bit strange that if the UK are in charge, that the Isle of Man branch have produced their own rules? 

https://www.gov.im/categories/business-and-industries/civil-aviation-administration-caa/document-library/caa-publications-and-forms/

No.  It's like a lot of things in the Island where there are international aspects.  The Isle of Man is allowed to set its own rules, providing they are exactly the same as the UK's and they are enforced in the same way as the UK does.  This is explained at some length in one of the documents in your link:

https://www.gov.im/media/1379246/01-23-iom-caa_compressed-v1.pdf

(Which I hadn't seen, but confirms most of my guesses).  One thing may be of current relevance (p 13) [IOMA = Isle of Man Airport]:

An Internal Review Meeting (IRM) attended by IOM CAA and UK CAA is held every 12-18 months to:

• review the IOMA safety risks and consider the safety risk management efficacy of IOMA;
  • record an agreed safety risk assessment of IOMA;
  • benchmark IOMA against comparable UK aerodromes and ATS units;
  • determine the future IOMA surveillance programme;
  • review the level of enforcement of IOMA (as applicable);
  • consider and prepare areas for discussion at the upcoming Accountable Manager Meeting (AMM).

The Accountable Manager Meeting is a formal meeting held to discuss the safety performance and safety risks of IOMA and the planned surveillance programme.

It shows that the UK CAA is clearly in a supervisory position.

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It shows that the UK CAA is clearly in a supervisory position

Is supervisory the right word Roger? Advisory seems a better description.

The document you have provided a link to has the following statement contained within it on the first page:

The Isle of Man has its own aviation safety legislation separate from the UK and EU. Therefore, unless UK or EU aviation safety regulations have been explicitly applied into Isle of Man law, they have no legal effect on the Island.

The IOM CAA contracts the services of the UK Civil Aviation Authority to conduct some specific audit activities on our behalf and under our authority.

Please note that the UK CAA is not the regulator for the Isle of Man and UK CAA auditors conducting activity on our behalf should be considered to be working for the IOM CAA..

Seemingly to emphasise the point, bold type is used in the document and simply replicated in the cut and paste above. 

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

Is supervisory the right word Roger? Advisory seems a better description.

Technically perhaps in the sense that the legislation is technically local, but the document also consists of a lot of statements reassuring people that the regulations and everything the IOM CAA does is exactly the same as what the UK CAA does.  So if the latter says that something is wrong it will have to change straight away.

And of course the UK CAA has two ways of enforcing this.  It can simply use the UK's powers to take back the ability of the Island to run its own CAA that it has effectively devolved.  Which would also mean the end of the Aircraft Registry (the IOM CAA doesn't even have its own budget it comes under that).  And it can in extremis advise that the Airport is unsafe and airlines shouldn't fly there.  Neither option would be taken lightly, but safety is the CAA's top priority and those powers mean that any advice given had better be taken.

Manx Radio has a story that says: Almost 5% of flights cancelled during May, which is actually rather better than some on here were expecting.  We're no longer even top of the league table with most of the usual suspects back in position above up:

Airport Mvmts Canx % Canx
1 WICK JOHN O GROATS 99 12 12.12%
2 BARRA 129 13 10.08%
3 ALDERNEY 411 32 7.79%
4 HUMBERSIDE 472 36 7.63%
5 TIREE 137 10 7.30%
6 BELFAST CITY (GEORGE BEST) 2562 160 6.25%
7 CAMPBELTOWN 96 6 6.25%
8 NEWQUAY 649 40 6.16%
9 EXETER 683 42 6.15%
10 ISLAY 122 7 5.74%
11 BENBECULA 195 10 5.13%
12 ISLE OF MAN 979 46 4.70%
13 KIRKWALL 938 40 4.26%
14 ABERDEEN 5214 200 3.84%
15 DUNDEE 154 5 3.25%
16 STORNOWAY 473 14 2.96%
17 SUMBURGH 1025 30 2.93%
18 LONDON CITY 4573 118 2.58%
19 TEESSIDE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT 283 7 2.47%
20 GUERNSEY 1457 35 2.40%

Though clearly it's still not good.  Gatwick was 1.6% cancellations by the way.