Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Roger, I am simply pointing out that the following statement is totally incorrect as they are not yet able to operate unsupervised.

16 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The experienced ATCOs, who were recruited from elsewhere in the Spring, have now been trained to be able to operate unsupervised. 

Additionally, in a subsequent post, you suggested that the two ATCOs who are employed but not able to control could possibly be back on line. This is not the case.

Other than that, I have nothing else to add.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

The announcement today has not been made because there are any more qualified ATCOs available for duty. None of the ‘newbies’ are validated yet to control without supervision, and will not be for quite some time.

As I have already said, it is only because the management proposed a new roster pattern for the existing ATCOs which they have accepted, that today’s announcement has been possible.

That is the fact of the matter.

which presumably will impact the times light aircraft can use the place. ??

Whatever has occurred in the past, in my opinion it would appear that the Locally Validated Controllers are doing everything possible, within the legal constraints of their licences, to reduce the impact of their reduced manning levels. As a consequence please may I suggest that we don’t aim any pent up frustrations we might have in their direction.

Edited by Cypman

21 minutes ago, Cypman said:

Whatever has occurred in the past, in my opinion it would appear that the Locally Validated Controllers are doing everything possible, within the legal constraints of their licences, to reduce the impact of their reduced manning levels. As a consequence please may I suggest that we don’t aim any pent up frustrations we might have in their direction.

Hear hear!

Although, I’m not sure that anyone with a modicum of intelligence is anything other than totally grateful for the efforts the current ATCOs are making to keep the show on the road. The acceptance of these new rosters is just another example of that.

I suspect that the frustration that a lot feel is over how the situation has been allowed to get to this point, and what we have been told about it being less than wholly accurate at times.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Roger, I am simply pointing out that the following statement is totally incorrect as they are not yet able to operate unsupervised.

Additionally, in a subsequent post, you suggested that the two ATCOs who are employed but not able to control could possibly be back on line. This is not the case.

I wasn't disbelieving you, just pointing out that if both those things are true, there needs to be more explanation as to why the current situation ever arose.  Otherwise it suggests that most of the situation with closures since mid-June was unnecessary.  It also shows just how important it is to get the local validation of those three and the situation with the other two sorted out, especially before we lose one of the functioning eight in October.

3 hours ago, Cypman said:

That was sort of my point as well.  Even from the outside, we've seen a lot of flexibility from the ATCOs over recent months and I can't believe that they would have been resistant to roster changes that meant more continuous opening hours.  Apart from anything else the current on-off-on-off pattern must be quite stressful to operate.

And yes there has been far too much talk of 'tea breaks', even from some who should know better, though I think most people appreciate the efforts that the ATCOs have been making.

Edited:  Can't believe for can believe, obvs.

Edited by Roger Mexico

"Tea breaks" is being used by commercial pilots to explain delays. I heard it myself from an EJ pilot.

The pilots know that the runway is closed and the reasons why. They're just trying to make light of it to their passengers. That is sadly spreading.

On 7/9/2023 at 4:23 PM, The Voice of Reason said:

But by way of example I was booked on a Tuesday lunchtime flight to Gatwick.Which which has now been cancelled.The cost for two people with luggage was about £120 ( It was booked maybe a couple of weeks ago if that) 

I was later offered flights on the notoriously unreliable evening flight on the same day but the timing didn’t suit and I had by then booked lunchtime flights to LHR with Loganair (£388, including luggage if you please). At that time I had no confirmation of the Easyjet cancellation but read it on here, looked at my booking on the app and lo and behold my flight had changed to the evening one.

I appreciate that had the EasyJet flight not been cancelled the cost would have risen in the two weeks since I booked it, but even so.

Just an update. I opted for a refund and got one. I also put in a claim for 261 compensation and have just heard that has been successful ( there seemed to be some  doubt on here as to whether you could get both)

Comp is for £440 ( £ 220 x 2).

Ok had to pay Loganair £388, but still £52 up. ( less small extra for onward travel from LHR rather than LGW)

But still, winner winner, chicken dinner!

• Like 5

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Just an update. I opted for a refund and got one. I also put in a claim for 261 compensation and have just heard that has been successful ( there seemed to be some  doubt on here as to whether you could get both)

Comp is for £440 ( £ 220 x 2).

Ok had to pay Loganair £388, but still £52 up. ( less small extra for onward travel from LHR rather than LGW)

But still, winner winner, chicken dinner!

I'm delighted to hear this VoR.  yes there was some debate about whether you'd get it or not. Very chuffed that you have. worth pursuing.

And you've got £52 to spend at Maccy D's.

• Haha 2

On 7/20/2023 at 10:36 AM, Cypman said:

The ones that aren't 'on sick'!

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I'm delighted to hear this VoR.  yes there was some debate about whether you'd get it or not. Very chuffed that you have. worth pursuing.

And you've got £52 to spend at Maccy D's.

I think there’s enough there for a Peel Road safari supper for Mrs VoR and myself

Starters - KFC car park

Main course - MacDonalds car park

Coffee and cake - Starbucks car park

……. and then off to Marine Drive for desserts!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 7/20/2023 at 9:58 AM, madmanxpilot said:

So the atcos are responsible for the airspace over the island and that's why we need so many?  

When the new rota was designed, I assume that was to fit the other traffic rather than ensuring that iom flights were going on time?

58 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I think there’s enough there for a Peel Road safari supper for Mrs VoR and myself

Starters - KFC car park

Main course - MacDonalds car park

Coffee and cake - Starbucks car park

……. and then off to Marine Drive for desserts!

Don’t mention Marine Drive. You’ll get @Gladys ‘going’ 

Gatwick inbound not arriving till after 10pm. What’s changed?