Airport.

Billy kettlefish

33 minutes ago, Douglas2020 said:

35 minutes and counting, stuck on easyjet arrival from belfast, awaiting steps. 

Menzies will have to explain the delay. My guess is they can't handle 3 easyJet flights and a Loganair all at the same time

Edited by snowman

Nice banner still scrolling across the airport website:

"Due to COVID-19, some changes to flights on 01-Jan-22 may be possible, as the Airport will not be opening until 08.30 for aircraft movements. Terminal will open as normal."

I suppose due to COVID-19 no one has been able to update the website 48 hours later either ?

5 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

"Due to COVID-19, some changes to flights on 01-Jan-22 may be possible, as the Airport will not be opening until 08.30 for aircraft movements. Terminal will open as normal."

I suppose due to COVID-19 no one has been able to update the website 48 hours later either ?

The problems at the airport are far deeper and predate Covid 19 by a long way ! The above is just a symptom of a deep malaise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

After the airport website had been updated, but before it was announced in the press, I used an Internet search to find the airport website. That page came up, but it looked to me like one of those semi-scam sites that are set to have a near-likeness to the real URL and try to steal the trade. I did this 3 for four times before realising that what I was seeing was the real thing.

My son (who knows a fair bit about this software stuff) visited at Christmas. I brought up the webpage to show him but before I could say anything he said "That looks like one of those scam websites".

It is just a matter of taste, I suppose. It reminds me of the alleged comment made by Dolly Parton - "It costs a great deal of money to look this cheap".

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Flew out on the Easy MAN. Was close enough at the gate to hear the chatter on the radios of the gate staff.  Hats off to the Menzies staff- numerous flights were off schedule, multiple people needing special assistance for every flight, and numerous staff off isolating.

At departure time whilst sat onboard ( at the front) they were still missing over 70 people stuck in security. 

To me - the airport infrastructure is not equipped to handle multiple easyJet flights at same time, not helped with so many staff off isolating. 

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

After the airport website had been updated, but before it was announced in the press, I used an Internet search to find the airport website. That page came up, but it looked to me like one of those semi-scam sites that are set to have a near-likeness to the real URL and try to steal the trade. I did this 3 for four times before realising that what I was seeing was the real thing.

My son (who knows a fair bit about this software stuff) visited at Christmas. I brought up the webpage to show him but before I could say anything he said "That looks like one of those scam websites".

It is just a matter of taste, I suppose. It reminds me of the alleged comment made by Dolly Parton - "It costs a great deal of money to look this cheap".

£25,000 of taxpayers’ money to look that cheap as was revealed in a recent FOI request.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, snowman said:

Security at the airport has got alot slower and the new staff are doing secondary searching on almost everything

A few years ago queues at the airport appeared out of nowhere. I went through departures twice during that time. There were no queues, I went directly to the baggage scanners, and each time it took me between 5 to 10 minutes to get through.

The reason was that the security staff, who are not employed directly by the government, were carrying out checks that I have not seen done at any other airport, not even Tel Aviv.

I was aware of the problems so I had ensured that the only things left in my rucksack were socks, shirts, underwear and pieces of paper. Each time everything, including scraps of paper, were taken out of the rucksack and everything, including the empty rucksack, were put back through the scanners.

It was nothing to do with security. In fact, the second time through I forgot that my front door key was in my pocket so the machine bleeped when I went through the body scanner. No-one checked me.

This was the time when Ann Reynolds went into a Tynwald meeting and said that she had no idea what the problem was, but that she wanted to spend £300,000 to solve the problem. The last figure I saw was an expenditure of £670,000.

Part of the expenditure was on 4 or 5 boarding card scanners. These have no value because there always has to be someone on guard with a hand-held scanner to sort out problems, and one person checking cards can easily keep up with two baggage scanners running flat-out.

Ann Reynolds said she had no idea what the problem was. It was plainly obvious to me what the problem was. She said she did not know what the problem was, but the gov. gave her the money anyway.

Just another day in the life of IoM gov. business.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Roxanne said:

Wasn’t it around the time of the ‘cardboard box bomber’

There was the "Shoe Lace Bomber", and the IoM's very own "sarcasm-without-intent-flip-flop-bomber".

There are still standard checks at airports such as belts off, shoes off etc., but nothing like was happening at Ronaldsway at the time.

Can you imagine any company where someone says "Hey boss, there's I problem. I have no idea what it is, but I want to spend a third of a million solving it". And the boss says "Crack on, in fact have three-quarters of million".