Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, WTF said:

so how have the problems arisen ?   we used to have an airport that worked like an airport , and now we don't , who fucked us.

Well if we had acted like a certain regional German airport, much of the getting fucked could have been avoided. 

• Like 3

Gatwick Flight Canceled again . Last flight out . Left to your own devises . Really feel sorry for the more elderly passengers who are not tech savvy trying to rebook on line .

it’s an absolute sh*t show .

down fly via Gatwick 

some traveling upto Liverpool 

managed to rebook but the prices went up while booking - shameful 

• Thanks 5

18 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Easyjet gatwick cancelled again. What a fucking mess. 100s or people's plans ruined. Easyjet blaming iom airport for refusing the late flight. Iom Airport blaming Easyjet for being too late again. 

Both organisations are showers of shit. Don't know which one is worse. 

It is easyJet's fault 100%. They knew that plane was going to be at least two hours late at 15.00 and did nothing to find another plane, and waited until the plane was ready to depart here before finally cancelling. 

Yes, IOM Airport is a mess too, but there is a drop dead closing time which they cannot exceed and easyJet know this. They could have cancelled hours ago and given passengers a better chance to make other plans. 

The good news, is that this behaviour costs easyJet maybe £60k. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It is easyJet's fault 100%. They knew that plane was going to be at least two hours late at 15.00 and did nothing to find another plane, and waited until the plane was ready to depart here before finally cancelling. 

Yes, IOM Airport is a mess too, but there is a drop dead closing time which they cannot exceed and easyJet know this. They could have cancelled hours ago and given passengers a better chance to make other plans. 

I completely agree . I just don’t understand why so many people don’t want to recognise that EasyJet have quite a lot to answer for and give them a pass ! We have a situation where there is on most days only one flight and that’s the late flight which is regularly delayed or cancelled. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Nellie said:

They announced to the passengers at Gatwick that it was not their fault. They cancelled because IOM airport refused to let them land because they had no staff. Surely they could not blatantly lie. The plane was at the gate. Yes it was late but they were definitely ready to go.

8 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Easyjet gatwick cancelled again. What a fucking mess. 100s or people's plans ruined. Easyjet blaming iom airport for refusing the late flight. Iom Airport blaming Easyjet for being too late again. 

Both organisations are showers of shit. Don't know which one is worse. 

Low-cost airlines like Sleazy keep their costs down by maximising the use of their assets. They do this by paring down their fleet and staff to the bare minimum they think they can get away with to meet their schedules. Which leaves little if any flexibility/resilience in their operation should things go wrong. However they are cheap so you're just getting what you pay for so don't complain...

Ronaldsway staffing levels are the same. However the ATC shortages are just bad management probably driven by constant demands for "efficiencies" again to drive down costs with no thought given to contingencies. Although slack management does play a part. Who can forget the security screening fiasco where things were going to ratshit. According to Reynolds nothing was done about it because she didn't know anything was amiss! I personally wouldn't have accepted the excuse that it was someone else's fault for not keeping her informed...

Add to that mix a very capricious factor called the weather and the resultant poor showing is pretty much inevitable...

• Like 2

The god of easyJet has cost us many many millions in infrastructure, just to accommodate de-rated engines, helped to speed the demise of others for this net result !

Their cheerleader that intellectual colossus Tony Brown, and others who think they are running a major airport instead of a small regional/island airport within a niche market. Many businesses operate quite happily in a niche market but here we don't acknowledge the constraints of customer numbers.  

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, P.K. said:

Low-cost airlines like Sleazy keep their costs down by maximising the use of their assets. They do this by paring down their fleet and staff to the bare minimum they think they can get away with to meet their schedules. Which leaves little if any flexibility/resilience in their operation should things go wrong. However they are cheap so you're just getting what you pay for so don't complain...

Ronaldsway staffing levels are the same. However the ATC shortages are just bad management probably driven by constant demands for "efficiencies" again to drive down costs with no thought given to contingencies. Although slack management does play a part. Who can forget the security screening fiasco where things were going to ratshit. According to Reynolds nothing was done about it because she didn't know anything was amiss! I personally wouldn't have accepted the excuse that it was someone else's fault for not keeping her informed...

Add to that mix a very capricious factor called the weather and the resultant poor showing is pretty much inevitable...

So what your saying is that low cost airlines and airports with restricted opening hours do not mix? You kind of stating the bleeding obvious

I agree though. So why bother trying?

I thought ATC was back to strength.

The service at the moment is totally unreliable. It is costing the Isle of man a considerable cost and destruction of our Islands reputation. I had two engineers from across on that flight. Now they are stuck here this morning and going to bill us for the lost work that they had today + hotel fees etc. It is am embarrassment for me and pretty soon more companies will refuse t come here as they can't risk being stuck an extra day (or more).

You can probably work out. I am bloody furious. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Not going to happen for a long time ! sadly.

Active, expires in 3 months: AD OPR HR MON-SAT 0545-0730 0805-1000 1035-1945 SUN 0600-0730 0805-1000 1035-1945 LAST RUNWWAY MOVEMENT 15 MINUTES BEFORE EVERY CLOSED TIME  2308010515-2310281945
Active, expires in 3 months: ISLE OF MAN RADAR HOURS MON-SUN 0805-1000 1035-1800 RAD SUBJ SHORT NOTICE CLOSURE PROMULGATED BY ATIS. OUTSIDE THESE HOURS PROCEDURAL SER ONLY.  2308010500-2310281945
Active, expires in 3 months: ISLE OF MAN CTA/CTR/ATZ, TWR AND APP OPR HOURS MON-SAT 0530-0730, 0805-1000, 1035-1945 SUN 0545-0730, 0805-1000, 1035-1945  2308010500-2310281945
Active, expires in 3 months: ISLE OF MAN CTA/CTR/ATZ ACTIVATED. AD AND ATS HR EXTENDED. AD PPR ONLY, CONTACT ATC 01624 827548.  2307191315-2310282030

Not sure what was to change on the 13th August !

Edited by asitis
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So what your saying is that low cost airlines and airports with restricted opening hours do not mix? You kind of stating the bleeding obvious

I agree though. So why bother trying?

The service at the moment is totally unreliable. It is costing the Isle of man a considerable cost and destruction of our Islands reputation. I had two engineers from across on that flight. Now they are stuck here this morning and going to bill us for the lost work that they had today + hotel fees etc. It is am embarrassment for me and pretty soon more companies will refuse t come here as they can't risk being stuck an extra day (or more).

You can probably work out. I am bloody furious. 

They should be claiming hotel and food from easyJet 

7 hours ago, Happier diner said:

They announced to the passengers at Gatwick that it was not their fault. They cancelled because IOM airport refused to let them land because they had no staff. Surely they could not blatantly lie. The plane was at the gate. Yes it was late but they were definitely ready to go.

They were ready to go at around 20.55 so, if they had got airborne by 21.30 they would have landed here around 22.20. The Airport would have allowed that as they can extend their hours until 23.00. However it would have needed a fairly quick turnaround to get out again and avoid being stuck here overnight. So to say that "IOM refused to let them land" is a blatant lie. 

I see from your other post that you have a personal financial interest in this, and I'm sorry to read that. The state of affairs at the Airport means that EJ can use them as an easy excuse and most people will accept that, but the real blame lies with easyJet's scheduling and inability to recover from delays early in the day. As I said earlier, they had six hours to get this flight back on track but failed.

The IOM-LGW evening service has an 'on time performance' rate, that is arriving with 15 minutes of the schedule, of less than 10% in June and July. That tells it's own story.

I hope your colleagues get away today.

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 4

25 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Not even technically yet.  It will be in terms of numbers when some students join in September, but they will take at least three years to qualify.  Effectively half the staff will be un- or under-qualified and unable to work unsupervised, which puts a big strain on the ones who are.  Having chief ATCO who isn't qualified himself doesn't help.  There will be stress in the system for years yet and there's not really much more that is in the power of the Airport Director to do.

• Like 3