Airport.

Billy kettlefish

20 minutes ago, Nellie said:

, but the real blame lies with easyJet's scheduling and inability to recover from delays early in the day. As I said earlier, they had six hours to get this flight back on track but failed.

how do you recover from delays though ?  if you have missed your landing slots elsewhere at busy airports how can slots be just made available for planes to play catch up without affecting other flights that are on time.?

5 minutes ago, WTF said:

how do you recover from delays though ?  if you have missed your landing slots elsewhere at busy airports how can slots be just made available for planes to play catch up without affecting other flights that are on time.?

You have some planned 'slack' in the system, in the knowledge that everyday, stuff does do wrong, and you will need to try and fix it.

easyJet start each day at Gatwick with three 'hot spares' - planes that are crewed and ready to go, anywhere that they are needed. It would seem to make sense to have two or three that finish their day at (say) 18.00, so they can be similarly deployed at the end of the day.

I understand all the stuff about 'sweating the assets' but the reality is that things do go wrong and when they do it costs them money. Last night's cancellation will have cost EJ around £60k, so there is a balance to be struck here. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

So what your saying is that low cost airlines and airports with restricted opening hours do not mix? You kind of stating the bleeding obvious

I agree though. So why bother trying?

I thought ATC was back to strength.

The service at the moment is totally unreliable. It is costing the Isle of man a considerable cost and destruction of our Islands reputation. I had two engineers from across on that flight. Now they are stuck here this morning and going to bill us for the lost work that they had today + hotel fees etc. It is am embarrassment for me and pretty soon more companies will refuse t come here as they can't risk being stuck an extra day (or more).

You can probably work out. I am bloody furious. 

If extreme weather like gales in August are going to become the norm then stick them on the ferry!

Yes it is sort-of stating the obvious and it's only going to change if it costs Sleazy so much in compo they give up the route. Always assuming it's their fault of course.

Performance has dropped off a cliff as soon as we get to the spring/summer months, when they are operating at full capacity and their planes are in demand. Once the kids start school again, the summer season is over and business cools performance will likely improve. It just so happens we are a low priority and also have a shitshow of an airport. Hopefully from September onwards, if they don't can the route, things should settle down. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Zarley said:

Until next spring/summer season. Or the Christmas holiday season.

I don't dispute that. Hopefully we'll have our ATC issues smoothed out by then and something may improve in terms of the staffing.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, newaccount said:

Loganair IOM-BHX cancelled, however inbound is operating.

G-LMTC is doing IOM-LPL-BHX-IOM this morning.

Same thing happened last week.

Depart LPL 0908. Land in IOM 1151.

I spotted that too. Looks like a planned cancellation/consolidation both weeks rather than a technical issue reflecting poor loads. Not sure what the LPL passengers will think of their 20 minute flight taking almost three hours.

• Like 1

Spotted on Linkedin today. 

MD of a large well known venture capitalist firm praising the Isle of Man for being business friendly and how much he loves coming here.  Except, he can't come here anymore, because the airport doesn't work. 

• Haha 3

On 8/2/2023 at 5:51 PM, Amadeus said:

Well if we had acted like a certain regional German airport, much of the getting fucked could have been avoided. 

Well, not only could we have well run airports like Germany does, we could also have well run Local Authorities (Municipalities) like they do i.e., Councils who know what they are doing (the idea of installing a ‘floating mattress’ on a beach which has unsuitable weather conditions and which almost no one ever uses, is the opposite of that). They should have been able to implement recycling policies that work and make sense without the need to: “...could use almost £60,000 of its reserves to ‘support’ refuse collection. The local authority has plans to spend £37,000 on replacement stock of recycling and garden waste bins, including labels and locks. That’s despite council leader Clare Wells stating the council is already behind on the delivery of them. £9,000 will be spent on the production of a recycling and processing video – with £2,500 spent on the renewal of Keep Britain Tidy membership. £10,000 will be spent on ‘promotional material’ and ‘communication’ for households in the city. The capital moved to fortnightly bin collections last year, upsetting many residents.”

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/council-might-dip-into-reserves-to-support-refuse-collection-627201

Of course, many other Western countries have Local Authorities that conduct their policies in an accountable and democratic way. For example, in Australia, their Councils hold regular public meetings where residents are able to freely give their input or raise concerns about Council’s programmes and initiatives and not be hissed at or be dismissed out of hand by their democratically elected local representatives.  

Edited by code99
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, code99 said:

(the idea of installing a ‘floating mattress’ on a beach which has unsuitable weather conditions and which almost no one ever uses, is the opposite of that).

The ones in Port Erin have been successful. Is the weather better there?

2 hours ago, code99 said:

Well, not only could we have well run airports like Germany does, we could also have well run Local Authorities (Municipalities) like they do i.e., Councils who know what they are doing (the idea of installing a ‘floating mattress’ on a beach which has unsuitable weather conditions and which almost no one ever uses, is the opposite of that). They should have been able to implement recycling policies that work and make sense without the need to: “...could use almost £60,000 of its reserves to ‘support’ refuse collection. The local authority has plans to spend £37,000 on replacement stock of recycling and garden waste bins, including labels and locks. That’s despite council leader Clare Wells stating the council is already behind on the delivery of them. £9,000 will be spent on the production of a recycling and processing video – with £2,500 spent on the renewal of Keep Britain Tidy membership. £10,000 will be spent on ‘promotional material’ and ‘communication’ for households in the city. The capital moved to fortnightly bin collections last year, upsetting many residents.”

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/council-might-dip-into-reserves-to-support-refuse-collection-627201

Of course, many other Western countries have Local Authorities that conduct their policies in an accountable and democratic way. For example, in Australia, their Councils hold regular public meetings where residents are able to freely give their input or raise concerns about Council’s programmes and initiatives and not be hissed at or be dismissed out of hand by their democratically elected local representatives.  

Yay another anti DBC post in an unrelated topic. When did you last get a hug? 

• Haha 1