Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 minutes ago, asitis said:

Fluent in management speak and meaningless bullshit ! HR's dream.

Primary PS qualification prerequisites for the past few years. Talking the talk comes above all else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

I don't believe it!

We've got a boy in charge  and he needs to shave and put on a tie.

That scruffbag shambles is the reflection of the airport he puports to manage.

How the hell did he get the job?

He should go further. Put on a proper suit, do up your tie and sing the national anthem

24 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I didn't realise that our airport has been in 'special measures' with the CAA for such a period?

They kept that very quiet, what else are we not being told?

Quite.  But it's nothing to worry about. 

Anyway, the news is things are improving. 

Let's hope so. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I didn't realise that our airport has been in 'special measures' with the CAA for such a period?

They kept that very quiet, what else are we not being told?

No, Chris Thomas kept it quiet , he as never been off  Manx Radio since he stood down ,no point crowing about it now he had every opportunity  to get things done down there , including keeping the parking system on the Island , and making the place look business like and respectable , as for Glover  he took an early Parachute course and bailed out at the earliest opportunity , but now Alf's taken over  at least things seem to be moving forward ,

a long way to go yet before we have  a decent well run facility again 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

No, Chris Thomas kept it quiet , he as never been off  Manx Radio since he stood down ,no point crowing about it now he had every opportunity  to get things done down there , including keeping the parking system on the Island , and making the place look business like and respectable , as for Glover  he took an early Parachute course and bailed out at the earliest opportunity , but now Alf's taken over  at least things seem to be moving forward ,

a long way to go yet before we have  a decent well run facility again 

Chris mentioned on twitter that the IOM caa has policies on publication of caa notices, feels like he sees himself as still protecting the DOI rather than being honest with his constituents 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Chris mentioned on twitter that the IOM caa has policies on publication of caa notices, feels like he sees himself as still protecting the DOI rather than being honest with his constituents 

It’s like he thinks he is the unofficial Minister, still doing and saying all the things that got him sacked in the first place. He needs to have a bit less arrogance and a bit more self perception, but most of all he needs to get voted out and find himself a nice little job somewhere, out of the public eye. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, joebean said:

It’s like he thinks he is the unofficial Minister, still doing and saying all the things that got him sacked in the first place. He needs to have a bit less arrogance and a bit more self perception, but most of all he needs to get voted out and find himself a nice little job somewhere, out of the public eye. 

I used to have a bit of time for him when he was in post. Since he’s been sacked he’s become insufferable.

Who knew? Not me, obviously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

I don't believe it!

We've got a boy in charge  and he needs to shave and put on a tie.

That scruffbag shambles is the reflection of the airport he puports to manage.

How the hell did he get the job?

Lord knows.

It’s incredible.

I could forgive him the lack of a tie if I had been persuaded by that performance he knew anything about what he is being paid for.

By the way, how much is he being paid?  ‘Nothing’ would be twice as much as he appears to be worth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cissolt said:

It's the job of the CAA (IOM or UK) to let people know of the status of an Airport and you can see why they wouldn't publicise it unless things got actually dangerous rather than just potentially so in future.  There might be a risk of an airport operator suing because of reputational damage for example.  And anyone else is going to follow the lead of the regulator.

It's probably more that Thomas is making sure that everyone knows it was working when he left it (or rather was thrown out for not doing Alf's bidding).  There's another Manx Radio item today saying that it's his view that "The Isle of Man airport now has an airport director in which the Civil Aviation Administration has confidence".  Apparently it turns out that they use wider criteria than just neckwear.

Thomas is probably correct as it looks like having qualified management is one of the things that concern the CAAs and Ronaldsway was lacking even nominal control, ever since Reynolds left.  There had been at least two failed rounds of attempted recruitment and it was interesting to hear in a previous interview that Cobb said he had been headhunted - he hadn't applied directly.  You can't help feeling the presence of Spake was a problem and no one would apply till he went, but there may be a more general reputation that kept candidates away.

I assume this piece is just more quotes from Manx Radio's interview with Thomas that they got a news item out of yesterday (both refer to the CAA closing Swansea down).  The first piece included the interesting remarks:

The question was asked by Arbory, Castletown and Malew MHK Tim Glover who declined Manx Radio's invitation to discuss the issue.

The Department of Infrastructure also declined to comment. 

So perhaps your remarks about not commenting on things should be referred to them.  Incidentally Glover, as the Member of the DoI responsible for the Airport, must have known what the answer to his question would have been.

• Like 1