Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, asitis said:

He's the farce of Manx Aviation ......

Lets face it , he's a senior person down there , the airport is a mess , the baggage trolleys are not fit for purpose , the barriers on the car parks havent worked for months , revenue stream anyone !!, the baggage and security have big issues as have the ATC . Yes I know it cant all be heaped on him but hes a big cog in a very broken chain and I dont see anything getting any better any time soon. And he seemingly cares more about his reality tv appearances than his real job. In my opinion hes useless at both. Ohhh and the failure of the arrival of the landing lights . !! 

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 5

47 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Lets face it , he's a senior person down there , the airport is a mess , the baggage trolleys are not fit for purpose , the barriers on the car parks havent worked for months , revenue stream anyone !!, the baggage and security have big issues as have the ATC . Yes I know it cant all be heaped on him but hes a big cog in a very broken chain and I dont see anything getting any better any time soon. And he seemingly cares more about his reality tv appearances than his real job. In my opinion hes useless at both. 

The whole management team need to be made redundant with immediate effect. 

Bring in a private company with a proven track record of running airports. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, James Blonde said:

The whole management team need to be made redundant with immediate effect. 

Bring in a private company with a proven track record of running airports. 

I'm not sure a private company would want the place, because of our location there are not too many ways they could make money. It needs a wholesale clear out and running properly , it is a vital link in the same way the port is but could be run much more efficiently than it is now. The recruiting of a new director has gone a bit quiet, I sincerely hope this time they get someone who has a clue ! that has been the problem !!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, asitis said:

I'm not sure a private company would want the place, because of our location there are not too many ways they could make money. It needs a wholesale clear out and running properly , it is a vital link in the same way the port is but could be run much more efficiently than it is now. The recruiting of a new director has gone a bit quiet, I sincerely hope this time they get someone who has a clue ! that has been the problem !!

Heard yesterday that the current acting Director was actually a aitport fire training instructor in the UK . A friend ,ex airport fireman , said the guy ran his course when he did it. Others on here will know more background I'm sure. Not ideal qualifications for running the whole airport I woukdnt have thought. 

3 hours ago, asitis said:

Ground handling at the airport is provided by Menzies which is part of the bigger UK company. So there is a precedent there just not quite on the same scale. 

The Airport is a prime example of the Government's tolerance of failure, ineptitude and mediocrity. 

Bring in a private operator on a 3 - 5 year contract with clearly defined performance parameters and expectations. Make sure the contract is watertight with penalties for failure to deliver.  Sack off the whole management structure and offload public sector pension liabilities while they're at it. 

The wholesale ownership of the airport would obviously be retained by Government, but there is zero reason why Government need to be 'running' it. 

It's time Crookall started coming forward with some clear concrete proposals on how to turn around the failing DOI.  

• Like 2

The problems all started (2006) when Government wanted Heathrow on Sea, serviced by large shiny jets. They found it difficult to convince those members of the public who were not on hallucinogenic drugs, that the local population was ever going to provide 2 to 2.5 million passengers a year for revenue, and hence many had reservations. The Brown administration needed a Champions League Class bullshitter, to chivvy along those parsimonious pesky people who had reservations, and so the Ginger one was employed to sell the dream ! Of course when they were given a report telling them the unbridled truth about the proposals, it was dismissed as merely background noise. The spending began .... to perhaps what 100 million today ? and where are we ? exactly in the position the 2006 report said we would be. This is appropriate .......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, asitis said:

The problems all started (2006) when Government wanted Heathrow on Sea, serviced by large shiny jets. They found it difficult to convince those members of the public who were not on hallucinogenic drugs, that the local population was ever going to provide 2 to 2.5 million passengers a year for revenue, and hence many had reservations. The Brown administration needed a Champions League Class bullshitter, to chivvy along those parsimonious pesky people who had reservations, and so the Ginger one was employed to sell the dream ! Of course when they were given a report telling them the unbridled truth about the proposals, it was dismissed as merely background noise. The spending began .... to perhaps what 100 million today ? and where are we ? exactly in the position the 2006 report said we would be. This is appropriate .......

Sounds about right.

I have had dealings with both the Ginger one and Long Shanks and they both displayed the "Shouty Bully" type personality that for some  reason seems to get priority in the CS here.

From what I know from their "underlings" (THE PEOPLE WHO ACTUALLY DO THE WORK) its not worth the grief of challenging these BULLY types in gov/ CS.

Why would you? If you are CS?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

They could provide an honesty box. I think it works for Gellings eggs in Baldrine

Or they could just get it fixed as most intelligent people would do. Its been out of action for months . A honesty box at a National airport !?? . Your having a laugh right ?  

• Haha 1

A recent Have your Say Assessment by employees across the IOM Govt delivered some interesting results with the subject being Leadership. I am told the airport division of DOI had the lowest, most dismal results by a country mile. In plain English, they think their managers are shit and don't give a shit about them. No wonder the place is a shambles.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Or they could just get it fixed as most intelligent people would do. Its been out of action for months . A honesty box at a National airport !?? . Your having a laugh right ?  

It’s unfortunate that it’s been out of action for so long but why not? It’s not a laugh.

The principle is just the same.

The lost revenue has to be recovered somehow You know you have to pay for your parking.

Well I don’t know about you but I’m an honest person. I would have put some money in

If Shoprite tills were down due to some technical malfunction would you be OK just walking out with your shopping without paying?

47 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s unfortunate that it’s been out of action for so long but why not? It’s not a laugh.

The principle is just the same.

The lost revenue has to be recovered somehow You know you have to pay for your parking.

Well I don’t know about you but I’m an honest person. I would have put some money in

If Shoprite tills were down due to some technical malfunction would you be OK just walking out with your shopping without paying?

I'm very honest too but not sure not bailing out government infrastructure would be dishonest. As I said , why not as a alternative idea , just fix it or replace it. The Airport actually tells you just to park and ignore payment rules. Surprisingly noting your Voice of Reason name it seems in this case you've lost that honour . Maybe you've turned over to the darkside ! . And as for the Shoprite analogy , thats nonsense , apples and pears .  

Edited by Numbnuts

1 minute ago, TheTeapot said:

They stopped charging for parking cos of covid, and have left it like that because while you can now go into the airport and wait they'd prefer you to stay in your car, but can't charge you to do that.

The barriers are broke apparently . Need parts .