Airport.

Billy kettlefish

15 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Same thing. Context makes it clear.

For short flights we take pot luck with the seats. I hate the fact that the websites try to kid youl that you must select seats and it takes about 3 extra clicks to get past it. I always check us in early and we have never been allocated seats that are not together. Most recent we got 6A and 6B.

For longer flights I select the seats and pay the £4.99 or whatever.

I understand that for some folks extra legroom or front of plane is a must have rather than a luxury.

On a recent jet 2 city break myself and my wife selected and paid for, say seats 7A and 7C  in a group of three on outward  and return  flights. About £5 per seat per leg if I remember right.

She likes a  window seat myself an aisle set.

Happily seat 7 B was unoccupied on both legs.

Happy days!

57 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

On a recent jet 2 city break myself and my wife selected and paid for, say seats 7A and 7C  in a group of three on outward  and return  flights. About £5 per seat per leg if I remember right.

She likes a  window seat myself an aisle set.

Happily seat 7 B was unoccupied on both legs.

Happy days!

Someone had a lucky escape! 🤣

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I understand that for some folks extra legroom or front of plane is a must have rather than a luxury.

More the necessity that I’m as far away from my partner as is possible. Worth every penny of EZY plus.

Suspect that’s why VoR and Mrs VoR leave a seat between them. 

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

suspect if you chose your connecting flights/ dates carefully you could shave a fair bit of that.

I don’t. You’re looking £100 per person return just on and off the island. Choosing a random Wednesday in June and Ryanair’s basic fare Manchester-Faro is coming in about £80 each way, and that doesn’t include bags which are usually about £50 each way.

£450 return sounds a lot but is pretty much on par tbh.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’ve found that air fares are running about 75%-100% above pre covid for IoM LPL BCN or via LGW or DUB.

They’re much higher across the board. Inflation + high demand.

Don’t know if it works for Barcelona, but going to Europe I’ve found the best value is BA on a through ticket using Loganair to Heathrow or City. I’ve done Hamburg and Berlin recently and it’s been cheaper- and less hassle- than anything EasyJet had to offer. And, crucially, being a through ticket it becomes BA’s problem if any of the flights don’t operate.

If you book a combined flight+hotel via BA Holidays it gets even better, and they’re still offering double tier points on holiday bookings.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

They’re much higher across the board. Inflation + high demand.

Don’t know if it works for Barcelona, but going to Europe I’ve found the best value is BA on a through ticket using Loganair to Heathrow or City. I’ve done Hamburg and Berlin recently and it’s been cheaper- and less hassle- than anything EasyJet had to offer. And, crucially, being a through ticket it becomes BA’s problem if any of the flights don’t operate.

If you book a combined flight+hotel via BA Holidays it gets even better, and they’re still offering double tier points on holiday bookings.

I've been doing this for a while.  Can force a stop over in London for a few days on the way out or while coming back ( or both) if you want using the multi city option on BA 

You get the same luggage allowance for all flights..

One issue is that Menzies seems to be doing the baggage handling  at LHR and I  have lost my luggage on my last two trips  ( bags were checked through to the IOM from EU airports)

They did locate and deliver my bags at home a few days later but something to be careful about . 

When you are travelling on multiple airlines the responsibility for lost bags is with the last airline you flew on ( and not the airline you bought tickets with ). So I had to sort out stuff with loganair instead ot BA even though the tickets were from BA 

Loganair doesn't pay for delayed luggage if you are on your return leg home.. So you have to depend on your travel insurance.. I noticed that most travel insurance companies do not cover for delayed baggage on your way back home..

Edited by mad_manx
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

One issue is that Menzies seems to be doing the baggage handling  at LHR and I  have lost my luggage on my last two trips  ( bags were checked through to the IOM from EU airports)

I try, where possible, to force the connection to the City flight on the way back precisely so it isn’t through-checked. I don’t trust Heathrow’s baggage handling, especially where different airlines have different agents.

Using City also means I can pick up a few things in London on the way back, as there are no liquids restrictions at City.

But other than that.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mad_manx said:

Haven't tried LCY for connections but will try next time

IIRC you have to go land side and re-check at City, but when I’ve done it I’ve actually done the trek from Heathrow. Stop off at Stratford Westfield for a few bits and bobs, then on to City.

City has the new scanners so no 100ml liquid rule, and it’s just a nice airport to go through.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

IIRC you have to go land side and re-check at City, but when I’ve done it I’ve actually done the trek from Heathrow. Stop off at Stratford Westfield for a few bits and bobs, then on to City.

City has the new scanners so no 100ml liquid rule, and it’s just a nice airport to go through.

LHR T2   transit have them but are on trial basis .. So not guaranteed if you will he able to use them ..

More Easyjet problems tonight. The Manchester flight has been cancelled and Gatwick delayed by around 1.5 hours. That's another raft of passengers majorly inconvenienced and a lot of people getting back to their end destinations in London around 3am! An absolutely hopeless service. 

• Thanks 5