Airport.

Billy kettlefish

50 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

But for these purposes the UK doesn't classify the Isle of Man or the Channel Islands as domestic.  We're in Band A along with most of Europe, North Africa etc (effectively anywhere less than 2000 km from London).  So when you're flying back to the Island from the UK the tax is still £13.

This is different from the decision that IOM (and CI) made not to reduce their own APDs in line with the UK cut on domestic flights.  Though it was the right decision rather than follow the UK in another pointless boosting of corporate profits under the disguise of virtue signalling.

Thanks for posting the link.  Here's details for a flight from LHR to IOM

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB)£15.93
United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB)£13.00
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YR)£3.95
Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)£1.74

and IOM to LHR:

United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (YO)£13.00

United Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB)£28.80

Carrier-imposed surcharge (YR)£3.95

Carrier-imposed surcharge (YQ)£1.74

20 hours ago, Ringy Rose said:

True, but if they can’t make £26 work then I have no faith in the extra £5 making any difference.

Last time I went away as a family the airport charges were £80 (assume this also included the apportioned landing fee) and the car parking was £50. £130 is a chunk of cash and there’s no evidence they can spend it competently.

ETA that’s the published charge on their website, I’d love to know whether Easyjet get a discount…

No regular passenger aircraft will be charged the full pax rate - so EZY, LA, Emerald etc.  And they won't pay landing charges either - so the revenue to the airport is way under what 'published' charges might suggest.

APD into Treasury coffers.....

Small charge, collected by Airport, managed properly (😀) and ring fenced for specific improvements could be actively considered.  If there was transparency, a clear project (or projects) which were well communicated and people could actually see the benefits / improvements - I argue that would be a better situation than at present.

I am no fan of Douglas corporation , but nothing is more simple then the ANPR  on entry to the car park  and pay on exit by your credit?debit card  that they use ,  this system  should have been  adopted for all the pay car parks on the isle of man ,

Ringo  is unreliable and on at least 3 occasions could not access the app or pay on arrival at the airport , it was a lazy option  because the DOI are not interested in providing a service or couldn't be bothered collecting the money 

time the public accounts committee were examining airport operations and car parks 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

10 hours ago, newaccount said:

Lost revenue means there is a cost

I appreciate that you have a visceral dislike of private pilots (envy?) and that you probably have a more sophisticated handle on accounting practices than me. But there was NO COST! The tiny amount of lost revenue is more than balanced by  bringing people here who would probably not have bothered without the enticement (even ‘dickheads’ like discounts) the airport is open and manned anyway, Piper Cherokees don’t wear out the runways. We only stand to gain from fuel sales, local economy spend and other intangible benefits.

• Thanks 4

Annual airport parking income falls by £130,000

The parking rates have been increased, RingGo will be paid a handsome fee. And still there is a a huge drop in income. {even before deduction of RingGo share} 

But all is good because the Minister who made all these ridiculous commercial decisions is now back in charge.

What a shambles

Edited by emesde
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

I appreciate that you have a visceral dislike of private pilots (envy?) and that you probably have a more sophisticated handle on accounting practices than me. But there was NO COST! The tiny amount of lost revenue is more than balanced by  bringing people here who would probably not have bothered without the enticement (even ‘dickheads’ like discounts) the airport is open and manned anyway, Piper Cherokees don’t wear out the runways. We only stand to gain from fuel sales, local economy spend and other intangible benefits.

The above is true, Ronaldsway was hitherto known in light aircraft circles as a place not to visit as it was unwelcoming and difficult to fight around red tape. The landing cost was actually not a barrier just the impression that light aircraft visitors were not wanted. Thanks to the efforts of a few individuals, it has now been hailed as the place to visit. For a lot of private pilots the satisfaction of having crossed the water to another country is immense. People who came so far are leaving with a positive view of the island which can only be a good thing.

On the subject of parking, take a look around the number of vehicles parked on Ronaldsway industrial estate to show you how popular the new charges are !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

It isn't just the level of charge but the hellishly difficult way of figuring it out and paying.  Admittedly, I haven't flown since last November, but I had a trip booked shortly and was thinking that I couldn't really be arsed with using the airport car park so would either use one of the private providers or get a taxi.

TBH, if a major consideration or complication when you are travelling is the car parking, then there is something really wrong.

The trip has been cancelled, but when it is back on, I hope the car park is sorted. Put in APNR barriers and pay on return at a machine.  Not exactly rocket surgery, is it? 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, asitis said:

On the subject of parking, take a look around the number of vehicles parked on Ronaldsway industrial estate to show you how popular the new charges are !

Dangerous place to park that, there have been occasions when people have returned to discover their catalytic convertor missing.

2 hours ago, Omobono said:

I am no fan of Douglas corporation , but nothing is more simple then the ANPR  on entry to the car park  and pay on exit by your credit?debit card  that they use ,  this system  should have been  adopted for all the pay car parks on the isle of man ,

Ringo  is unreliable and on at least 3 occasions could not access the app or pay on arrival at the airport , it was a lazy option  because the DOI are not interested in providing a service or couldn't be bothered collecting the money 

time the public accounts committee were examining airport operations and car parks 

Is there something wrong with your phone?  We use ringo several times a month here and in the Uk and have never once had an issue.

• Sad 1