Airport.

Billy kettlefish

36 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

And that fact in itself highlights a growing problem. Cancellations used to be rare, but they seem to happen so frequently now that I suspect that this sorry state of affairs is starting to be accepted as the new normal.

Indeed. People are now surprised  and delighted when flights go on time. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Deja vu moment. Again sitting on tarmac for almost an hour. Announcement said “unscheduled airport closure”. ATC not allowing any movement. Anyone know what’s up? 

IMG_6266.jpeg

Bins not been emptied...?

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Apparently it was scheduled but pilot said it wasn’t. Blaming each other while passengers lose out once more. No winners here. 

It’s the same fairly regularly when that flight goes out.  It often misses the 11am ATC break and doesn’t get in until about 13:00

No idea if that qualifies people for compensation but I doubt anyone could claim it’s unexpected at the moment.

26 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Apparently it was scheduled but pilot said it wasn’t. Blaming each other while passengers lose out once more. No winners here. 

Q)EGTT/QFAAH/IV/BO/A/000/999/5405N00437W005
B)2308010515 C)2310281945 
E)AD OPR HR
MON-SAT 0545-0730 0805-1000 1035-1945
SUN     0600-0730 0805-1000 1035-1945
LAST RUNWWAY MOVEMENT 15 MINUTES BEFORE EVERY CLOSED TIME

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Banker said:

Chalk and cheese. There is not really much equivalence between chronic flight reliability issues we have and an acute weather related event at GCI is there?

I think that if Guernsey had the misfortune to be blighted with similar flight reliability problems that we have to endure here, then there would be more than a Town Councillor making very loud noises.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Chalk and cheese. There is not really much equivalence between chronic flight reliability issues we have and an acute weather related event at GCI is there?

I think that if Guernsey had the misfortune to be blighted with similar flight reliability problems that we have to endure here, then there would be more than a Town Councillor making very loud noises.

I might be thick but I understood that we were recruiting and training more ATC folk but that they had to have a certain amount of local experience before they were qualified?  Is there a way that this could or should have been sped up?

I am not interested in hearing about how we should not be in this situation in the first place.  The simple fact is that we are and that the blame for that lies with people no longer in post 

6 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I might be thick but I understood that we were recruiting and training more ATC folk but that they had to have a certain amount of local experience before they were qualified?  Is there a way that this could or should have been sped up?

I am not interested in hearing about how we should not be in this situation in the first place.  The simple fact is that we are and that the blame for that lies with people no longer in post 

Can it be sped up? Unlikely as the training process is very prescribed.

Could the current situation have been foreseen and recruitment have commenced earlier? I think so. 

In fact, as someone pointed out the other day on these pages, a new ATCO started their employment recently without holding the requisite proof of previous competence. One would have thought that this should have been identified during the recruitment process, but it wasn’t meaning the opportunity to get the person on the required courses at or around their start date was missed. The earliest course dates to get this proof of competence are not until February apparently. It’s easy, and for some very convenient ,to blame previous management for this situation, but this particular cock up has happened on the watch of the current incumbents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, madmanxpilot said:

Can it be sped up? Unlikely as the training process is very prescribed.

Could the current situation have been foreseen and recruitment have commenced earlier? I think so. 

In fact, as someone pointed out the other day on these pages, a new ATCO started their employment recently without holding the requisite proof of previous competence. One would have thought that this should have been identified during the recruitment process, but it wasn’t meaning the opportunity to get the person on the required courses at or around their start date was missed. The earliest course dates to get this proof of competence are not until February apparently. It’s easy, and for some very convenient ,to blame previous management for this situation, but this particular cock up has happened on the watch of the current incumbents.

That’s fair enough and I wasn’t aware, so thanks for bringing it to our attention.

If that one oversight had been avoided would it really make much difference to the situation right here and right now?

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

That’s fair enough and I wasn’t aware, so thanks for bringing it to our attention.

If that one oversight had been avoided would it really make much difference to the situation right here and right now?

It just means the current situation is going to go on for a lot longer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2