Airport.

Billy kettlefish

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

Emerald's performance on DUB has been more variable

Emerald’s performance has as much to do with the chronic unreliability of the ATR72 as much as anything. Loganair seem to have got a handle on it, but it’ll be interesting what happens as we head into the winter. An unreliable aircraft left out in the cold and rain all night, what could go wrong?

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

Emerald’s performance has as much to do with the chronic unreliability of the ATR72 as much as anything. Loganair seem to have got a handle on it, but it’ll be interesting what happens as we head into the winter. An unreliable aircraft left out in the cold and rain all night, what could go wrong?

I’m no airport industry expert but I imagine that planes are required to be able to be left unhangered without suffering any ill effect, to get some sort of airworthiness certificate.

1 minute ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Maybe they just charge a one off installation fee?

Plus maintenance, plus repairs…

And the equipment isn’t even all that reliable, especially at the Bottleneck.

I know people hate on RingGo, but there’s a reason more and more councils in the UK are outsourcing to them. And that’s cost.

• Like 1

Just now, Ringy Rose said:

I know people hate on RingGo, but there’s a reason more and more councils in the UK are outsourcing to them. And that’s cost.

Well yes all products of this nature will require maintenance and the odd repair.

I’ve never had a problem with the Bottleneck or Shaws Brow car parks. For ease of use they beat the airport parking hands down.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Loganair had a lot of technical problems last winter. Let’s see what happens this winter.

You’ve only quoted half my post. Not the bit about having an airworthiness  certificate Why?

Edited by The Voice of Reason
Addition of second sentence

7 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Do you mean income?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Left out in the cold and rain all night. What could go wrong” was what you said.

I was meaning the plane would break down on stand, not that it would hurtle out of the sky in a fireball. Apologies for any confusion.

Last year they had terrible trouble with both the ATR72 and the ATR42 they brought over to cover for the broken ATR72. I can’t help but think leaving it out in the open air, next to the sea, in winter won’t have helped. Let’s see this winter.

Edited by Ringy Rose

2 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

I was meaning the plane would break down on stand, not that it would hurtle out of the sky in a fireball. Apologies for any confusion.

Last year they had terrible trouble with both the ATR72 and the ATR42 they brought over to cover for the broken ATR72. I can’t help but think leaving it out in the open air, next to the sea, in winter won’t have helped. Let’s see this winter.

I’m sure there are much colder places than Ronaldsway in the world,  where planes are left out in the open air next to the sea in winter without suffering any ill effects.

As I say I’m no aeroplane expert but I imagine there are stress tests  for this sort of thing.

12 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

No, I mean cost. Paying RingGo or Parking Eye to deal with payment is cheaper than maintaining all those parking machines and barriers.

All of that is fairly irrelevant, many folk don't like using Ringco or don't have the facilities to easily do so. what is wrong with the old system that warrants using an outsourced system that to my mind is not customer friendly?

Anpr works fine too and I believe that the Ringco system is not so infallible either and still needs a parking attendant.

The current system is based on misinformation as has been proved on these forums. The barriers could have been fixed at a small cost.

I for one will not use the current parking system even though it causes me some inconvenience.

• Thanks 3

1 minute ago, doc.fixit said:

what is wrong with the old system that warrants using an outsourced system

Councils across the UK are moving from machines and barriers to outsourced RingGo or ParkingEye type apps. My assumption is that they’re doing this because it’s cheaper for them to do so.

Theres nothing wrong with machines and barriers, but clearly there is a cost attached.

• Confused 1