Airport.

Billy kettlefish

9 minutes ago, english zloty said:

Strikes me you should be on the receiving end of one of these cancellations then you might not be so glib. I've had to book with a different airline at significant cost, a hotel, take at least half a days holiday I don't really have, pays further £16 on top of the £26 pound in parking fees and get up at the crack of dawn. 

And then yet again I have to argue the toss with Easy Jet in the hope I get my money back (which will be the third time this year = fairly crap).

Ha it's a laugh..

This is totally what Stu Peters doesn’t get. It’s the additional costs accumulated to eventually reach your destination or even back to the Island. Just about everyone is going a day at least earlier to try and allow for expected delays and the problems it throws up. I myself have booked a day earlier and changed my flight and booked a hotel for a trip in November and it’s cost around £180 extra to do so. All because of unreliable airlines mainly EJ. Multi thousands of Manx residents money is being wasted on this situation and most lost off the Island. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

This is totally what Stu Peters doesn’t get. It’s the additional costs accumulated to eventually reach your destination or even back to the Island. Just about everyone is going a day at least earlier to try and allow for expected delays and the problems it throws up. I myself have booked a day earlier and changed my flight and booked a hotel for a trip in November and it’s cost around £180 extra to do so. All because of unreliable airlines mainly EJ. Multi thousands of Manx residents money is being wasted on this situation and most lost off the Island. 

It does seem to be mainly issues at Gatwick so I can only suggest going via alternative airports which is what I’m doing at present, maybe slightly more expensive via Liverpool or Manchester but much more reliable & you’ve got back up of boat to Liverpool or heysham

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

It does seem to be mainly issues at Gatwick so I can only suggest going via alternative airports which is what I’m doing at present, maybe slightly more expensive via Liverpool or Manchester but much more reliable & you’ve got back up of boat to Liverpool or heysham

Yes agreed the Gatwick flight is one to totally  avoid is it’s possible. My trip is through Manchester booked through Emirates and they use Loganair for the first leg. But as there flights are often delayed , much better than EJ though, and the transfer is only giving me around 3 hrs I reckoned it was far to tight as have to check in again in Manchester. Sadly Manchester can’t currently deal with booking luggage through to final destination. Back in the day it would have been fine as rarely did you get issues with timings. Well I never did. And the big plus was your luggage booked through and boarding passes issued at Ronaldsway .

Edited by Numbnuts

2 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Like what?

Stu has already asked what people would like him to be doing differently and you accused him of a cop out, whilst yourself copping out of giving an answer.

Read my posts again. Keeping the traveling public better informed for one. Currently it seems they’re doing nothing. 

• Like 3

Just now, Numbnuts said:

Read my posts again. Keeping the traveling public better informed for one. Currently it seems they’re doing nothing. 

Informed about what?

The Gatwick flight is massively unreliable and should be avoided if at all possible.

EJ are a budget airline and will not do anymore than they need to to put a flight on or compensate or help anyone left stranded.

If we as a tiny little island with a tiny little market start trying to stand up to easyJet who only come here to fill a gap when their planes are sat idle, they will pull out completely.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

To be fair their Facebook presence is much better than it used to be.  Here's their latest posting on the cancellation of the Heathrow for example.  Once it just used to vague promotional things every week or so.  And Facebook is how most people will get their information.

The change seems to have happened from around TT onwards.  Whether they are now employing someone to keep it up to date or whether they're just allowing the Information Desk people to update things when they get the info - which would be the sensible option and stop them having to deal with repeated queries - I don't know.  But, like replacing the trollies, it illustrates how difficult it seems to be to make even the simplest, cheapest, most obvious changes in Manx government.  Probably the Cabinet Office was demanding that the wording of each posting was passed by six different committees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Informed about what?

The Gatwick flight is massively unreliable and should be avoided if at all possible.

EJ are a budget airline and will not do anymore than they need to to put a flight on or compensate or help anyone left stranded.

If we as a tiny little island with a tiny little market start trying to stand up to easyJet who only come here to fill a gap when their planes are sat idle, they will pull out completely.

They don't come here for anything other than making money. £/mile they get a very good return.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Random thought - 

Why don't EasyJet just stop doing the late flight and keep everyone happy?

It would give more business to the other airlines and stop so much disappointment.

If there were not a late flight you would have to book a overnight stay and, that may not be ideal, but at least you would have planned for it.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

This is the same sort of line that @Stu Peters trots out, but there is no evidence to suggest it is true.

easyJet have around 300 flights a month scheduled to/from the IOM. They operate five different routes. They arrive at every time of the day from 07.30 to 20.35. Often the LPL, MAN  and LGW flights are the first flight of the day for the operating aircraft. At that time they could send the aircraft anywhere in Europe or North Africa. They choose to send them here. 

Clearly we are not one of their key destinations, but those numbers suggest we are not some sort of 'fill-in' either. 

Also, as has been pointed out numerous times, most of their IOM network operates reasonably reliably, including the AM Gatwick. The main issue is with the PM Gatwick. If they brought it forward by an hour, to match the Winter schedule, the problem would be largely solved.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair their Facebook presence is much better than it used to be.  Here's their latest posting on the cancellation of the Heathrow for example.  Once it just used to vague promotional things every week or so.  And Facebook is how most people will get their information.

No I agree with you Roger as before the web page was often not updated if it even was accessible. My comments were more to do with CoMin and MHK’s letting us know what if anything is getting done to deal with the issue of mainly EJ flights. And yes the Facebook input is far better too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happier diner said:

Yeah. They are a business. The do a good number of short hops from Gatwick. They don't do anything for the love of it. They do everything to make money. 

And they have been flying here for 13 years. This year, they have scheduled more flights to/from IOM than in any other year. I think that tells it’s own story in terms of whether they are making money. 

• Like 1