Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Both easyJet's southern routes (LGW,BRS) are averaging in the 140s, though the LGW average must be boosted by 15% of flights being cancelled and passengers transferred.  The northern ones (LPL,MAN,BFS) do less well, but still make it around 100.  Loganair loads are surprisingly consistent as well, with only LHR breaking out of the low to mid-30s.

This Summer easyJet has been running Manchester flights, as they didn't in 2022 and it has led to the total numbers to MAN that month  almost doubling, with 4,725 extra pax.  Some of this was new business, but they also lost from LPL which was 924 down in total of which 674 were easyJet's own. They also took some pax from Loganair on the MAN route (1,627).  August's MAN pax shows a similar increase, though with LPL less affected.

August shows drops on LGW and BRS over 2022, and I wonder if people were more recently booking holidays in the sun from MAN rather than LGW for greater security.  But MAN is clearly not doing well enough to prevent easyJet from cutting back this winter.  They may feel the extra traffic was seasonal or it could be that it cutbacks are needed MAN operates more expensively for them and they feel many passengers will transfer to LPL or different flight days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

They're all abysmal. Across the board.

I wouldn't say that, what I would say is, this is the reality of a small island airport with limited destinations, and an unreliable lo cost carrier ( debatable) skimming the cream.

It is about this time that hopefully someone will start to see that we are not 'Heathrow on Sea' and starts managing what we have efficiently. Masterplans are most fashionable of course, but what we actually need is some realistic management, we've had far too much of the masterplan mantra in anticipation of passengers, what was it 2.5 million by now ! FFS anyone with half a brain could see that was bullshit !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

Not really, that’s the reality of living on a relatively small island.

Loganair and Emerald’s figures also reflect the reality of EasyJet coming in at weekends and skimming the cream.

Without me going back and looking, how are all these figures comparing to pre-pandemic to e.g. Dublin?

I remind folk we used to sustain 3-4 flights per day to Manchester and Liverpool with Flybe.

36 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

remind folk we used to sustain 3-4 flights per day to Manchester and Liverpool with Flybe.

And Flybe went bust mainly because of the competition with EasyJet on domestic routes in the British isles.

And even before it went bust it had reduced its base here to two ATR72s flown by Stobart Air, with a frequency of flights to match.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

And Flybe went bust mainly because of the competition with EasyJet on domestic routes in the British isles.

And even before it went bust it had reduced its base here to two ATR72s flown by Stobart Air, with a frequency of flights to match.

No, they changed their business model from regional airline to low cost carrier ( with unbelievably high fares ), expanded their route network to dozens of out of the way European regional airports no one wanted to fly to, bought far too many, diverse, aircraft which cost a fortune to fly and maintain.  They were doomed with or without EZY.

If, with the PT transport contract, the couldn’t successfully run services to/from the Island to the extent that they were cost cutting by franchising to Stobart, what does it say about them?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

If, with the PT transport contract, the couldn’t successfully run services to/from the Island to the extent that they were cost cutting by franchising to Stobart, what does it say about them?

It mostly says the custom from the island wasn’t as lucrative as other posters in this thread like to make out. Especially after EasyJet properly muscled in- Flybe stopped the Belfast City route due to the competition, and it’s taken years for someone to come in and fly daily to Belfast again.

And on those loadings, I wonder if Emerald will stay.

I’d also love to know where Loganair’s break even point is, on those figures only Edinburgh and Heathrow have an average load of over 50%.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, NoTailT said:

They're all abysmal. Across the board.

And yet people complain we don’t have more regular flight, don’t have more routes and that prices are too high.

It really highlights the stupidity of the majority of people, especially the ones who moan about everything on social media.

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

And yet people complain we don’t have more regular flight, don’t have more routes and that prices are too high.

It really highlights the stupidity of the majority of people, especially the ones who moan about everything on social media.

High fares = less passengers.

Less passengers = little to no route development.

9 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

High fares = less passengers.

Less passengers = little to no route development.

Also, I don’t really believe a few quid makes a difference to if people book a trip or not.

I can’t think of a trip we have ever had where 50-£100 extra per ticket would have physically stopped us going.  If you need to travel you need to travel, and if it’s a pleasure trip where a bit extra is going to make it unaffordable then many would argue you shouldn’t be going anyway.  See all the people who go to London for a weekend then moan they can’t afford the cost of an extra hotel night when their flight is cancelled.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

No, they changed their business model from regional airline to low cost carrier ( with unbelievably high fares ), expanded their route network to dozens of out of the way European regional airports no one wanted to fly to, bought far too many, diverse, aircraft which cost a fortune to fly and maintain.  They were doomed with or without EZY.

FlyBe  - And the then CEO, after placing orders for Embraer jets (which weren't needed and was advised against by his ops people) walked away with a handsome pay off for fucking it all up.  It has to rank is being one of the worst corporate rapes in history.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Also, I don’t really believe a few quid makes a difference to if people book a trip or not.

I can’t think of a trip we have ever had where 50-£100 extra per ticket would have physically stopped us going.  If you need to travel you need to travel, and if it’s a pleasure trip where a bit extra is going to make it unaffordable then many would argue you shouldn’t be going anyway.  See all the people who go to London for a weekend then moan they can’t afford the cost of an extra hotel night when their flight is cancelled.

You've sort of contradicted yourself... of course a few quid makes a different to whether people book or they wouldn't be moaning about the cost of an extra hotel night.

• Like 1