Airport.

Billy kettlefish

30 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

But the fares aren’t high, and people still moan and expect them to be lower.

Unrealistic expectations = people with no basic understanding of how businesses work

Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a high air fare ( fashioned in part at least,  by their own financial circumstances).

I recently paid £194 one way from the Island to LHR ( and before the departure date it had crept up to £212). I consider that high, £100 I wouldn’t. Others would have different parameters.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Everyone has their own idea of what constitutes a high air fare ( fashioned in part at least,  by their own financial circumstances).

I recently paid £194 one way from the Island to LHR ( and before the departure date it had crept up to £212). I consider that high, £100 I wouldn’t. Others would have different parameters.

Sounds about the same as it would have cost mid 90s, so I don’t really see how people can think it’s expensive?  Maybe that’s just me though.

You can fly to Bristol for less than £25

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

High fares = less passengers.

Less passengers = little to no route development.

The cost of air travel from the island is arguably too low take a look and compare it to the cost of train travel across . EasyJet marginal cost out the Isle of Man routes and as a result they are the first to suffer from low frequency and low reliability. It’s obvious what is happening that’s why they have reduced services to Manchester at short notice  and Gatwick is the first of their routes to get cancelled if there are any problems with ATC etc . 

Having an airline marginal costing and dropping in and out is fine if there are alternatives but given we are an island those are extremely limited. So in essence we are now getting what we are paying for an infrequent badly timed irregular service …….. well done ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, IOM said:

Having an airline marginal costing

They are I guess unless you want lots of baggage and other add ons, at that point they are no longer a lo cost airline . Also if you need to get somewhere you can't use them. I recently went to Gatwick from here via Dublin and Ryanair to Gatwick more costly yes but not hugely so with luggage, and I had to be there !

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, asitis said:

They are I guess unless you want lots of baggage and other add ons, at that point they are no longer a lo cost airline . Also if you need to get somewhere you can't use them. I recently went to Gatwick from here via Dublin and Ryanair to Gatwick more costly yes but not hugely so with luggage, and I had to be there !

Agreed their headline price can be very misleading. I have lost count of the number of people who get pulled up at the gate because there luggage is oversize and then they end up paying a supplement . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, IOM said:

Agreed their headline price can be very misleading. I have lost count of the number of people who get pulled up at the gate because there luggage is oversize and then they end up paying a supplement . 

But that's their own fault. It's clearly on the website when you book what the limits are. I travel frequently and most of the time I just take a backpack. The base fare is great for me.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

But that's their own fault. It's clearly on the website when you book what the limits are. I travel frequently and most of the time I just take a backpack. The base fare is great for me.

Well yes it’s their own fault!  But it’s very misleading as what was once sold as a small cabin bag no longer fits with their policy . 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

But that's their own fault. It's clearly on the website when you book what the limits are.

Although those limits keep changing. What was once a small cabin bag is now a large cabin bag requiring an extra fee. And where that fee was once a flat £7 it is now dynamically priced, so you don’t know what you’ll be charged until you do a full dummy booking. Oddly you can’t do a full dummy booking without putting passenger details in. Just another way of making it harder to see what it will cost.

The problem we have is some airlines “drip price” and others do not. So we have EasyJet offering flights to Liverpool for £30, but then it’s £20 for a cabin bag and it’s £25 or more for a hold bag. Loganair charge £60-£70 and get labelled expensive.

Drip pricing is great if you’re travelling light- you pay for what you use. But if you’re not it just disguises how expensive an airline really is. My experience travelling with hold luggage is that there is usually bugger all difference between Loganair and EasyJet. When I’m going for a day or two I’m happy with a small bag and yes, in those cases EasyJet are much cheaper.

Much as I hate drip pricing, I think Loganair would do better from a marketing perspective if they followed that model.

But if you’re travelling further afield, the best value I’ve found is on a through ticket with BA. Very competitive pricing and you have genuine protection if things go wrong, unlike the EasyJet DoHop insurance service.

Edited by Ringy Rose
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Ringy Rose said:

Although those limits keep changing.

The problem we have is some airlines “drip price” and others do not. So we have EasyJet offering flights to Liverpool for £30, but then it’s £20 for a cabin bag and it’s £20-£25 for a hold bag. Loganair charge £60-£70 and get labelled expensive.

Drip pricing is great if you’re travelling light- you pay for what you use. But if you’re not it just disguises how expensive an airline really is. My experience travelling with hold luggage is that there is usually bugger all difference between Loganair and EasyJet. When I’m going for a day or two I’m happy with a small bag and yes, in those cases EasyJet are much cheaper.

Much as I hate drip pricing, I think Loganair would do better from a marketing perspective if they followed that model.

But if you’re travelling further afield, the best value I’ve found is on a through ticket with BA. Very competitive pricing and you have genuine protection if things go wrong, unlike the EasyJet DoHop insurance service.

Suits me.

I do over 150 flights a year and never take any more than a carry on bag.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

Sounds about the same as it would have cost mid 90s, so I don’t really see how people can think it’s expensive?  Maybe that’s just me though.

You can fly to Bristol for less than £25

Bristol is a great route with direct train to London with generally convenient times & very rarely cancelled. However it’s only 2 days per week 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Is this link relevant? Maybe, because it relates to ATC problems. This is Michael O'Leary's view of the situation. But anyway, it brightened up my evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Q-5IumT2Q

Edited to add:

Some people want Ryanair to fly to Ronaldsway. The transmissions would be:

ATC - We're closed

Ryanair - Fuck off, we're landing

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1