Airport.

Billy kettlefish

16 minutes ago, Banker said:

Interesting information from FOI the Gatwick flight is cancelled as many times as it’s on time!!

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/passengers-call-for-government-action-over-disruption-to-gatwick-flights/

The whole situation is a total farce . Its nothing new it’s been happening for the last couple of years but those people that think EasyJet are wonderful just seem to accept it which I find incredulous. Linda Neale is exactly right it’s a total embarrassment for the island ! 

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You couldn’t make it up. Do the Airport team ever proof read? Total incompetence.

IMG_4955.jpeg

Well they couldn’t respond to an FOI asking for Gatwick flight statistics saying they don’t have them & telling requesters to look on CAA site!!

• Like 1

Tonight's outbound Gatwick flight has got stuck here overnight. 

It left Gatwick around 50 minutes late, and arrived here 35 minutes late, after being given a rather convuluted and unusual approach.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/u2843

This meant it had only 20 minutes to turn around and get out again before closing time, which was impossible.

The Airport say they were unable to extend their opeing hours, so the return is 'delayed overnight' which is a euphimism to avoid saying 'cancelled'.

https://www.facebook.com/IsleOfManAirport

It would be interesting to know exactly why our Airport could not stay open tonight, when they are often able to stay open until 23.00, and when easyJet asked for the extended opening. 

One can imagine heated conversations tomorrow morning between Ronaldsway and Luton. 

Gat to iom flight tonight circled Ronaldsway twice (to waste time??) before landing about 9pm. All passengers for return flight were in departure lounge ready to board and just before 9.30pm the flight was cancelled!! The excuse was Manx air traffic control short staffed!!!!

This complete shower of shit running Ronaldsway needs sorting out as it's a bloody disgrace.

Lots of elderly folk on an organised holiday trying being pissed about because some arsehole won't work an extra half hour to get the flight away.

7 minutes ago, winnie said:

Gat to iom flight tonight circled Ronaldsway twice (to waste time??) before landing about 9pm. All passengers for return flight were in departure lounge ready to board and just before 9.30pm the flight was cancelled!! The excuse was Manx air traffic control short staffed!!!!

This complete shower of shit running Ronaldsway needs sorting out as it's a bloody disgrace.

Lots of elderly folk on an organised holiday trying being pissed about because some arsehole won't work an extra half hour to get the flight away.

It may not be as simple as 'some arsehole won't work an extra half-hour......' because Air Traffic Control is a heavily regulated profession, and you may risk your livelihood by breaking the regulations, and the Airport may risk its license, but the passengers impacted and the general public deserve some proper explanation of exactly how this happened. 

As I posted above, I agree that there was seemingly no urgency by ATC to get the inbound flight down.  

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, Banker said:

Well they couldn’t respond to an FOI asking for Gatwick flight statistics saying they don’t have them & telling requesters to look on CAA site!!

Actually they said there was no requirement to say as the figures were already publicly available.  Which they aren't, because the requester asked for a specific flight number rather than the whole route. Ignorant dismissiveness is the standard DoI approach to FoI requests and they directed them to the wrong set of tables anyway.

The requester could have asked for a review but they (or someone else following it up) seem to have found the right table and used the information for all LGW flights for July.  Which readers will know from my long boring posts about cancellations are here:

https://www.caa.co.uk/Documents/Download/10303/ffbf3cdf-a6ff-4501-a1e0-d91d8e39be59/1543

on page 141.  IOM Airport produce their own punctuality statistics (most don't), so there is no excuse for them not knowing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

As I posted above, I agree that there was seemingly no urgency by ATC to get the inbound flight down.  

It can't have delayed them that much as they still seem to have made up time on the flight even with the extra manoeuvring.  I wonder if that was caused by the fact that by then they knew they would have to overnight and that required different placement of the plane.

We know from a previous FoI that another ATCO was due to be gone in October, so I wonder if they are unable to extend this month till the Winter times come in.  Maybe they're even trialling that overnight stop that so many posters are demanding!

16 hours ago, John Wright said:

You couldn’t make it up. Do the Airport team ever proof read? Total incompetence.

IMG_4955.jpeg

They have updated it so both now say "weekly".  So someone clearly did give 'feedback'.  It's/its appears to be a lost cause though.

They do seem to be getting a lot better on keeping up to date on Facebook though as they posted about the late-cancelled Gatwick and earlier cancelled Dublin (operational) and London City (plane went to Southend) ones.

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

It can't have delayed them that much as they still seem to have made up time on the flight even with the extra manoeuvring.  I wonder if that was caused by the fact that by then they knew they would have to overnight and that required different placement of the plane.

We know from a previous FoI that another ATCO was due to be gone in October, so I wonder if they are unable to extend this month till the Winter times come in.  Maybe they're even trialling that overnight stop that so many posters are demanding!

The AM flight EZY839 which got a direct approach took 54 minutes. The PM flight which had this more lengthy approach took 64 minutes, so, assuming everything else was equal it took 10 minutes. 

You may be right about the staffing, in which case we may be in for a challenging few weeks, before the Winter schedules begin and the flight operates an hour earlier. If this is so, perhaps the Airport should advise the public so they can plan accordingly!