Airport.

Billy kettlefish

6 hours ago, Nellie said:

Do you think they carry lots of easyJet holidays passengers to places like Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Inverness, Jersey? Many evenings, these have been consistently prioritised ahead of IOM flights, even though there are multiple daily flights to all of these, and we often only have one flight?

While I haven't checked it myself , friend of mine  said that he was looking at a easyjet holiday package to London from the IOM 

Seemed to be way cheaper than booking flights/ hotel separately. 

Reduces the risk of having to sort out non refundable hotel reservations if flights outwards are cancelled if its all packaged up via easyjet Holidays..

8 hours ago, NoTailT said:

All easyjet flights for a period next year only available to book as holidays right now and not yet released for flight only

Easyjet now has holiday bookings available until 31 March 2025. The flights-only route I just looked at is only until August 2024.

Some time ago I made a flight-only booking this Autumn to Tenerife. I waited quite a while in the hope of comparing prices with Ryanair and Easyjet, but in the end could wait no longer and booked Ryanair. Sometime later the Easyjet bookings became available. I now see why this happened.

Is this the beginning of the end of cheap flights-only? You have to wait until the holiday seats have been filled and then pay the last-minute price?

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

But a quick dig around the ATOL data shows that only around 3% of easyJet passengers are on an easyJet holiday. Even allowing for the fact that these 3% will be concentrated on flights to/from recognised tourist destinations, overall, it seems pretty unlikely that this will be a material factor when deciding which flights to cancel!

I make it more than that as easyJet appear to be licenced for 2.28 million and carried 33 million pax in 2022.  So that's about 13.8%  as each holiday will be two flights.  And of course it will be a higher percentage in value terms.  Simplistic calculation and there's several easyJet companies involved, but it's more significant than I imagined.  And of course when cancelling a holiday flight you're hitting two lots of holidays, so given the choice between that and a domestic you can sort out the next day at worst, there's no competition.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I make it more than that as easyJet appear to be licenced for 2.28 million and carried 33 million pax in 2022.  So that's about 13.8%  as each holiday will be two flights.  And of course it will be a higher percentage in value terms.  Simplistic calculation and there's several easyJet companies involved, but it's more significant than I imagined.  And of course when cancelling a holiday flight you're hitting two lots of holidays, so given the choice between that and a domestic you can sort out the next day at worst, there's no competition.

According to their own results presentation easyJet carried 69.7 million pax in year to Sept. 2022. I think you looked at the half-year 2023 numbers. 

They had 1.1m holiday passengers, in the same period. 2.2m flights. That is 3.15%, pretty close to my original estimate.

https://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet/pdf/investors/results-centre/2022/2022-fy-results-presentation.pdf

I still think it's doubtful that 'holidays' passengers will be a material consideration when flights are cancelled, or not. 

Edited by Nellie
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

According to their own results presentation easyJet carried 69.7 million pax in year to Sept. 2022. I think you looked at the half-year 2023 numbers. 

They had 1.1m holiday passengers, in the same period. 2.2m flights. That is 3.15%, pretty close to my original estimate.

https://corporate.easyjet.com/~/media/Files/E/Easyjet/pdf/investors/results-centre/2022/2022-fy-results-presentation.pdf

I still think it's doubtful that 'holidays' passengers will be a material consideration when flights are cancelled, or not. 

The 33 million was for easyJet UK ltd only.  I thought flights operating in/out of the UK would be the best comparison for package holidays from the UK.  The larger figure will include easyJet Europe etc.

The ATOL licenced figure was for 2023 (couldn't find earlier figures or actual numbers on the CAA), so they're obviously allowing for an even bigger increase than the 30% they forecast in the report.  Comparing that 1.1 million with the 33 million would be 6.7%. 

The 1.1 million for 2022 itself is nearly double the 2019 one, so there's clearly massive expansion going on.  Which means that not cancelling people's holidays or their return flights won't just be a big financial consideration, but a reputational one as well.  And even the non-package travellers on those flights are going to be expensive to rebook and compensate, especially in peak season.  So holiday flights will very much be given priority over others.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Nellie said:

Not sure of easyjet but with loganair they always try to do the LHR rotation as a load of passengers on it are from codeshare partners.   I've noticed that they even poach aircraft meant to operate other sectors ( MAN for example ) if there are issues with the aircraft due to operate to LHR 

43 minutes ago, Banker said:

Many Jersey & Guernsey are also commenting about very high costs of blue islands flights so doesn’t seem to popular anywhere unless you’re a business travelers 

They also have an ageing and less reliable fleet of older ATRs. Isn't the business also up for sale?

1 hour ago, NoTailT said:

They also have an ageing and less reliable fleet of older ATRs. Isn't the business also up for sale?

November, and early December, are very slack months for domestic aviation (look at all those flights easyJet pulled from the schedule last week) so this primarily looks like BI have some capacity in their flying programme and are trying to find something to do with that capacity. I hope it works for them. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Nellie said:

November, and early December, are very slack months for domestic aviation (look at all those flights easyJet pulled from the schedule last week) so this primarily looks like BI have some capacity in their flying programme and are trying to find something to do with that capacity. I hope it works for them. 

Indeed and I agree, I hope it does work too.

6 hours ago, Nellie said:

Presumably they will be benefiting from 'new route' incentives as well - no doubt from both ends.  Whether the the timings will appeal to the business market who it is clearly priced towards is another matter, but remote working may mean that people can work round that more than they once did.

On a related topic I came across a figure for "DOI - Flight Support" for 2022-23 on a list of Contingency Fund spending ijn a Tynwald Written Question.  It was for £2,109,000 which might give some indication of the support going to LCY and LHR, at least in that year.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably they will be benefiting from 'new route' incentives as well - no doubt from both ends.  Whether the the timings will appeal to the business market who it is clearly priced towards is another matter, but remote working may mean that people can work round that more than they once did.

On a related topic I came across a figure for "DOI - Flight Support" for 2022-23 on a list of Contingency Fund spending ijn a Tynwald Written Question.  It was for £2,109,000 which might give some indication of the support going to LCY and LHR, at least in that year.

I wondered about the incentives too.

This isn't a 'real' new route launch, as it's only ten flights each way, so I hope the Airport aren't throwing too much 'real' money at it.

Waiving landing fees, and a couple of free advertising spots on the back of a DoI bus would seem to be more that enough!

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

I wondered about the incentives too.

This isn't a 'real' new route launch, as it's only ten flights each way, so I hope the Airport aren't throwing too much 'real' money at it.

Waiving landing fees, and a couple of free advertising spots on the back of a DoI bus would seem to be more that enough!

It’s a trial, so I’d expect some marketing from DOI and reduced fees, nothing more.

If they launch it properly, you may see some greater marketing expenditure.

9 hours ago, Banker said:

Many Jersey & Guernsey are also commenting about very high costs of blue islands flights so doesn’t seem to popular anywhere unless you’re a business travellers 

We tried and were quoted £939 return for two of us! That's if I did it correctly of course.

No chance if that's right.