Airport.

Billy kettlefish

11 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

There were six interviewed I believe, all of whom were highly qualified. So much so that we selected three rather than two. To be clear, Gary Cobb had no part in the interviews or selection.

Sorry to be pedantic but who had the technical expertise to decide that those interviewed had the required technical expertise ? If this is HR then I wonder !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, asitis said:

Sorry to be pedantic but who had the technical expertise to decide that those interviewed had the required technical expertise ? If this is HR then I wonder !

sounds like an episode from the wooden tops ! if its anything like the HR   gaffs that have been made in other areas 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

He gave as an example easyJet scaling back their Manchester service in November/December.

But this is just markets working as they ought to

A better example was EasyJet’s competition causing Loganair to drop from twice daily to daily on the Manchester route, before EasyJet just dumped the Manchester route with minimal warning.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

Did I hear Cobb say£12m to upgrade to CatII ? 

….just went back and listened to it again. Yes, £12m. So where did that figure come from? Was it the best of three quotes, or just made up? 

Reynolds and Spake Airport Consultants?

• Haha 6

On 10/25/2023 at 10:52 PM, madmanxpilot said:

After all, that’s all any of us want

.............and wait for it - that's what the bloody airport is there for!

It's not a vanity project, it's not a means to fluff-up a CV: it's a facility for this Island to enable REGULAR, PUNCTUAL air services for the benefit of all. for which this pathetic bunch of parish councilors, for the past 15 years, has failed to provide.

Indeed, the case against them for culpable negligence is overwhelming and don't say 'lessons have been learnt' because that's an impossibility for the brain-dead.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Airport a bit of a mess today/this evening again ! Heathrow very late back , London City cancelled ( presumably due to late Heathrow) , Emerald from Dublin nearly an hour late , Liverpool Loganair nearly an hour late and Gatwick late in and delayed overnight! Suspect the Gatwick is an ATC issue but looks like Emerald and Loganair not providing a satisfactory service . What a complete shambles! 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, IOM said:

Airport a bit of a mess today/this evening again ! Heathrow very late back , London City cancelled ( presumably due to late Heathrow) , Emerald from Dublin nearly an hour late , Liverpool Loganair nearly an hour late and Gatwick late in and delayed overnight! Suspect the Gatwick is an ATC issue but looks like Emerald and Loganair not providing a satisfactory service . What a complete shambles! 

Shambles is one word. Bloody disgrace is a better two words.

It wasn’t always thus. How has this happened ?

How has it got to the state where you book a flight and spend the intervening period  to when it should be taking off filled with worry whether or not it actually will.

Everyone accepts that from time to time there will be delays or cancellations but to accept it as the norm is beyond the pale. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Shambles is one word. Bloody disgrace is a better two words.

It wasn’t always thus. How has this happened ?

How has it got to the state where you book a flight and spend the intervening period  to when it should be taking off filled with worry whether or not it actually will.

Everyone accepts that from time to time there will be delays or cancellations but to accept it as the norm is beyond the pale. 

Were any of tonight’s delays due to problems at our airport that anyone locally could have done anything about?

Arent you retired? Whats the worry about if a flight goes on time or not?  You just plan around there being delays the same as you would with a train journey or a flight from anywhere to anywhere else.

Edited by CrazyDave

1 minute ago, CrazyDave said:

Were any of tonight’s delays due to problems at our airport that anyone locally could have done anything about?

Arent you retired? Whats the worry about if a flight goes on time or not?  You just plan around there being delays the same as you would with a train journey or a flight from anywhere to anywhere else.

Yes I’m retired. But I still would like my plane, train etc to depart on or around the time I booked it for.

The “ worry”is that I didn’t book the transport just for the hell of it.

Thinking “ oh well I think I’ll just fly to Gatwick tonight on a whim”

I book transport so I would make an appointment, be it for a connecting flight to a holiday destination, a concert or event for a particular time, a christening, wedding, funeral or whatever.

Those considerations apply whether I am retired or working.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Are you being serious ? Are you really suggesting that those people expecting to get back to Gatwick tonight plan on being here another night ? Or those on the London City that was cancelled plan on at least a 24 hour delay ? Or those on the Emerald flight plan on missing their connection for an ongoing flight from Dublin ? When you buy a ticket from an airline you pay for the service in advance and enter into a contract with that airline . Implicit in that contract is that the airline provides the service as paid for .  Why should airlines get away with a poor level of service ? We would not accept it in other instances e.g restaurants, shops etc  and we should not accept it here . 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

Are you being serious ? Are you really suggesting that those people expecting to get back to Gatwick tonight plan on being here another night ? Or those on the London City that was cancelled plan on at least a 24 hour delay ? Or those on the Emerald flight plan on missing their connection for an ongoing flight from Dublin ? When you buy a ticket from an airline you pay for the service in advance and enter into a contract with that airline . Implicit in that contract is that the airline provides the service as paid for .  Why should airlines get away with a poor level of service ? We would not accept it in other instances e.g restaurants, shops etc  and we should not accept it here . 

There are many external factors that can delay a flight, especially in the post COVID world in which we live.

It’s inconvenient but it’s life in 2023.  What do you think is going to change in the short term?  No point stressing over it.

I had to use the late Gatwick flight recently and got stuck in London after making it as far as the departure gate.

It was a hassle getting home but work had been warned we were on the last flight and might need an extra day holiday.

No big deal, and no amount of moaning on here is going to change it.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2