Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There are many external factors that can delay a flight, especially in the post COVID world in which we live.

It’s inconvenient but it’s life in 2023.  What do you think is going to change in the short term?  No point stressing over it.

I had to use the late Gatwick flight recently and got stuck in London after making it as far as the departure gate.

It was a hassle getting home but work had been warned we were on the last flight and might need an extra day holiday.

No big deal, and no amount of moaning on here is going to change it.

Have you ever considered the purpose of forums ? One of them is to raise awareness of a problem an issue . I can tell you when topics reach a certain level of awareness it causes those businesses and areas involved to sometimes look into the problem and do something about it . So maybe these forums are one small way of trying to make things better ! Better that than just shrugging your shoulders and accepting the unacceptable. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Were any of tonight’s delays due to problems at our airport that anyone locally could have done anything about?

Yes, the overnight delay to Gatwick and the total cancellation of the London City rotation were due to the inability (or unwillingness) of the IOM Airport to offer a extension to their operating hours. Considering that they have been able to do this over fifty times across the Summer, it would appear that there was some issue at IOM Airport that did not arise on those fifty other occasions.

• Like 3

Just now, IOM said:

Have you ever considered the purpose of forums ? One of them is to raise awareness of a problem an issue . I can tell you when topics reach a certain level of awareness it causes those businesses and areas involved to sometimes look into the problem and do something about it . So maybe these forums are one small way of trying to make things better ! Better that than just shrugging your shoulders and accepting the unacceptable. 

Are you suggesting these issues today were IOM airport?

Or are you suggesting that all th airline bosses are members and might read this thread and decide to change their whole business and operations models?

1 minute ago, Nellie said:

Yes, the overnight delay to Gatwick and the total cancellation of the London City rotation were due to the inability (or unwillingness) of the IOM Airport to offer a extension to their operating hours. Considering that they have been able to do this over fifty times across the Summer, it would appear that there was some issue at IOM Airport that did not arise on those fifty other occasions.

I said were the delays the fault of our airport.  If either flight had been on time it wouldn’t have been an issue.

Edited by CrazyDave
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

There are many external factors that can delay a flight, especially in the post COVID world in which we live.

It’s inconvenient but it’s life in 2023.  What do you think is going to change in the short term?  No point stressing over it.

I had to use the late Gatwick flight recently and got stuck in London after making it as far as the departure gate.

It was a hassle getting home but work had been warned we were on the last flight and might need an extra day holiday.

No big deal, and no amount of moaning on here is going to change it.

“ It’s inconvenient but it’s life in 2023”

Words fail me

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

“ It’s inconvenient but it’s life in 2023”

Words fail me

It’s a fact.  That’s why so many of you are moaning about something that is unfortunately just part of life for now, and which is usually nothing to do with our own airport.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

Are you suggesting these issues today were IOM airport?

Or are you suggesting that all th airline bosses are members and might read this thread and decide to change their whole business and operations models?

I suspect it was a mix of problems driven by the airport and the airlines . Private businesses obsess about reputation damage and no whilst I don’t imagine the CEO of EasyJet or Loganair read these threads I do think that feedback about poor service eventually works it’s way back into their business through a number of means  . That’s when over time they might start to do think about what they are doing .

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

You just plan around there being delays the same as you would with a train journey or a flight from anywhere to anywhere else.

That is a completely unacceptable attitude and if you conduct your life and other commitments with a similar attitude I feel sorry for you.  It's also symptomatic a bone-idle, couldn't care less, more money than know what to do with generation (or 2); the 'who gives a shit' brigade.  You are doomed to a miserable life if you live in a world of abysmal standards and expectations.  Since you appeared here, you've certainly lived up to your nom-de-plume.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I do think that feedback about poor service eventually works it’s way back into their business through a number of means  . That’s when over time they might start to do think about what they are doing .

The only thing they'll understand is a phone-call on Monday morning telling them their aircraft will never come into IOM again.  The next call is to a group of professional aviation experts to task them with setting up a domestic airline, with exclusive route rights in and out of the IOM, by the end of the week.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

The only thing they'll understand is a phone-call on Monday morning telling them their aircraft will never come into IOM again.  The next call is to a group of professional aviation experts to task them with setting up a domestic airline, with exclusive route rights in and out of the IOM, by the end of the week.

Yea God's, no!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

As Tommy Cooper might have said..."just like that" .

If only the solution was as easy as that.

48 minutes ago, De nada said:

As Tommy Cooper might have said..."just like that" .

If only the solution was as easy as that.

The solution is not as easy as that I agree, however the ability to think differently is easy to do, and is most definitely what is required. However the tablet of stone mentality will prevail and hand wringing will continue.

One minute we employ an aviation professional who has dreams of us being Heathrow on Sea and having 2.5 million passenger pa, and spends an amount of money commensurate with that fanciful dream. ( As an aside this is how fanciful that was, passenger figures in the 70 / 80 's were roughly 400,000, we've doubled that in 43 years. However the expert predicted in 17 years we would increase it fivefold ).

We have gone from the 'we are a major player in domestic air travel' mentality, to the begging bowl around airlines. Nothing will change until the bloody awful people we have allowed to administer our airport, are tasked with thinking differently. I had hoped the experts we have recruited onto the board setup will help however Stu's post earlier in the thread leaves me with little hope !

Edited by asitis
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3

8 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

As long as you pay for it. …. The airline.

48 minutes ago, asitis said:

The solution is not as easy as that I agree, however the ability to think differently is easy to do, and is most definitely what is required. However the tablet of stone mentality will prevail and hand wringing will continue.

Think differently?

In Isle of Man public service?

What do you think holds the place back?

Here's one tiny example;

Think back to the financial crash of 2008. There I am, sat in my little office, thinking about ways we might save money in the cops. My wage slip was on my desk, which had been posted to me. 

A quick calculation on the back of a fag packet worked out that this was costing  IOMG something like 38 grand a year. That's a lot of money - about two constables back then.

So I do a bit of digging and ring who I thought was the right person to speak to at Treasury. I pitch my thoughts to them, suggesting that they could just email wage slips to us. I was quite happy for them to adopt it as their idea, and take all the plaudits.

"We've not been tasked to look at that", came the reply.

And that, laydees and gennelmen, is the culture that prevails until this day. Dare to think even remotely outside the box and you'll be seen as a maverick, a disruptor, "not a team player"

Until leadership sets the pace, and example, expunges risk aversion and change becomes a cultural norm to be celebrated, then you are stuck with a stagnating island which by its own lack of impetus will remain in decline.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2