Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Long time since I flew into Newquay. It was Flybe then.

Bags weren’t delivered to a belt, just dumped on the ramp for me to pick up.

Had booked a hire car. No desk. Managed to find an airport staff member who told me my car would be in the car park, my name in window, unlocked and key on passenger visor.

Bit like the IoM 50 years ago.

Those were the days

32 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

No, but we were on the 7am to Manchester the other week and they asked anyone flying to Newquay to remain onboard after getting to the gate in Manchester. They said security would come on and do a sweep of the cabin before letting other passengers on.

Seemed like it would work pretty well.

That's interesting because I think the flight is showing as direct on the Loganair website.

44 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Anyone on here tried the Loganair service to/from Newquay?

Friends used it last summer and said it worked well, you stay on plane both ways whilst Manchester passengers get on/off . Good flight times, they hired a car which was very expensive but alternative is buses/taxis and trains if going to a larger town. They said Newquay airport is very small , less facilities then IOM and not many flights even in summertime.

34 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Long time since I flew into Newquay. It was Flybe then.

Bags weren’t delivered to a belt, just dumped on the ramp for me to pick up.

Had booked a hire car. No desk. Managed to find an airport staff member who told me my car would be in the car park, my name in window, unlocked and key on passenger visor.

Bit like the IoM 50 years ago.

I think that was a wonderful time.  l was just a teenager then.  Your last  comment made me smile. 😊 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Banker said:

They said Newquay airport is very small

So small that you can fly to Belfast, Dublin, Gatwick, Stansted,East Midlands, Humberside, Zurich, Manchester, Glasgow, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Aberdeen, Alicante, Faro, Malaga, Copenhagen, Isles of Scilly.

It's got a 9000' runway with ILS on both runways. one of which is CAT2/3 - not too shabby for a 'small' airport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

So small that you can fly to Belfast, Dublin, Gatwick, Stansted,East Midlands, Humberside, Zurich, Manchester, Glasgow, Dusseldorf, Edinburgh, Newcastle, Aberdeen, Alicante, Faro, Malaga, Copenhagen, Isles of Scilly.

It's got a 9000' runway with ILS on both runways. one of which is CAT2/3 - not too shabby for a 'small' airport.

It was still RAF St Mawgan when I spent a week there as an air cadet in the late 60s. I presume the MoD paid for most of the infrastructure. I flew there with a friend a few years ago and there were very few passenger facilities.

4 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It was still RAF St Mawgan when I spent a week there as an air cadet in the late 60s. I presume the MoD paid for most of the infrastructure. I flew there with a friend a few years ago and there were very few passenger facilities.

Did the MOD's predecessors not pay for much of the infrastructure at HMS Urley as well?

Screenshot_20231111-082234_Samsung Internet.jpg

8 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

It’s a small airport with less facilities than IOM from people who’ve been there, the destinations you mentioned are not daily & hardly any flights in winter months 

9 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

And we get Belfast ( international and City ), Dublin, Newquay, Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Gatwick, Heathrow and London City. Plus Copenhagen, Lapland, Jersey, Palma, Madeira, Geneva as seasonal.

Yes, they’ve a very long, very wide, runway at Newquay, but considering the population it serves passenger numbers are low and airport facilities much more limited, when compared to Ronaldsway.

33 minutes ago, John Wright said:

And we get Belfast ( international and City ), Dublin, Newquay, Bristol, Liverpool, Edinburgh, Birmingham, Gatwick, Heathrow and London City. Plus Copenhagen, Lapland, Jersey, Palma, Madeira, Geneva as seasonal.

Yes, they’ve a very long, very wide, runway at Newquay, but considering the population it serves passenger numbers are low and airport facilities much more limited, when compared to Ronaldsway.

At least they'll be able to land when there's a bit of fog though.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

At least they'll be able to land when there's a bit of fog though.

what everyone seems to miss is there are alternate  transport options for getting to Newquay   national coach ,   excellent rail inks   motorway  and multiple connections , when the planes don't go on the isle of man  you are stuffed ! so its essential we have an all weather  functioning airport , with decent airlines and connections 

sadly we have spent millions  on the airport   only   to go backwards !

• Like 5
  • Haha 1