Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

Don't forget that while all this was going on he went off and made a TV series. He was calling himself an "Airport Director" to the TV audience and the boss of Heathrow, to whom he was giving advice!!! 

I'm not sure when the filming of this fits in the timeline. Late 2020, early 2021, maybe?

Probably took a sabbatical or sick leave 😂

1 hour ago, gerremonside said:

Anyone who spoke truth would have commanded respect.

But someone who claimed to fly Airbuses for Aeroflot in his spare time despite having written in a magazine article that his eyesight precluded an aviation medical? Judge for yourself. 

He never did bring his Sukhoi aerobatic plane over from Colchester International Aerodrome and take Annie for a spin either.

Nobody in Government had the knowledge, experience or desire to challenge him. Those professionals at the Airport who did were branded as bullies…

6 hours ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

A lot of them seem to play the protected disclosures game to get a big pay off

How does this work? The employee makes multiple irrelevant "protected disclosures" and the employer is forced to use time and money to prove that the disclosures are invalid, and in the end decides it is better to sack someone?

From the news item:

"But advocate for the DoI Keira Gore ...... She said the dismissal was motivated ‘wholly or primarily by the claimant’s repeated protected disclosures regarding safety related and other matters’."

I thought the point of protected disclosures was that they cannot be used as a reason to dismiss someone.

3 hours ago, Manx Mole said:

In other news, one of the new qualified ATC appointees has just resigned.

Hmmm still doesn't seem the happiest of places to work, I wonder why ?

The rumour is citing crazy roster hours and bullying ! who would have thought it.

Edited by asitis
ETA

36 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

So not withstanding that the man is clearly a massive self-important tit are we safe to assume that Jezza’s protected disclosures might have been what put the airport onto special measures and probably had the ATC and everyone else gunning for him?

Probably not.  The Tynwald Written Question that article is based on says:

In December 2019, the Airport was formally notified by the IOM CAA that it had been placed under ‘Special Attention’ due to the number of findings raised from routine audits of air traffic services and aerodrome operations.

which suggests it was discovered due to normal audits, presumably from the UK CAA.  The only effect of Spake may have been of relevance is hinted at when it says:

It is our (IOM CAA) view that the current management arrangements are now appropriate and fit for purpose; therefore, ‘management turnover’ is no longer considered relevant to the ‘On Notice’ status.

which may imply that part of the problem was that Reynolds and her appointed heir Spake were seen as part of the problem.  I suspect any whistleblowing Spake did would have been nearer his departure in time - which is usually the way with such cases.

It doesn't mean though that he didn't make disclosures.  The fact that the Government were prepared to pay him off and admit wrongful dismissal suggests they had plenty to hide.  Of course one of the things they had to hide was probably how he was recruited for the position in the first place.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

From the news item

"But advocate for the DoI Keira Gore ...... She said the dismissal was motivated ‘wholly or primarily by the claimant’s repeated protected disclosures regarding safety related and other matters’."

I thought the point of protected disclosures was that they cannot be used as a reason to dismiss someone.

I think that quote from the paper is purely bad journalism. They seem to like going down as whistleblowers (it’s a government cover up) rather than moaners (I’m a shit stirrer who got sacked). Then they can claim that they were sacked for whistle blowing which as you say can’t be used to dismiss to get more cash when 9x out of 10 their whistleblowing will just be pointless moaning. 

22 minutes ago, Manx Mole said:

He never did bring his Sukhoi aerobatic plane over from Colchester International Aerodrome and take Annie for a spin either.

that would probably exceed the permitted wing loading and take the aircraft out of the CG range.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

How does this work? The employee makes multiple irrelevant "protected disclosures" and the employer is forced to use time and money to prove that the disclosures are invalid, and in the end decides it is better to sack someone?

From the news item:

If the court reporting is accurate (for once it's from an actual reporter sitting there rather than a judgment) then what's happening is that the DoI accepted that 'protected disclosures' were the reasons why he was sacked or possibly 'constructively dismissed' (ie walked under pressure).  Whether that was what actually happened or not is another matter, we can all think of reasons why he should have been removed.  But that would imply that what the reason they got rid of him was even more embarrassing that getting rid of him for revealing safety breaches.

Of course this may also be related to how he was dismissed not just why and in particular who made the decision to get rid of him.  This is after Black had left and Crookall must be involved, but I can't help wondering if Cannan himself had some sort of responsibility.  That would explain why it seems to have been settled fairly quickly and on such favourable terms.

Whatever else you say about him, we have to grateful for Spake for coming back for a second helping and revealing all this (though I suspect he hoped for another silent payout).

I would have thought that the legal advisor acting for DOI in relation to the Employment Tribunal claim would have ensured that any settlement agreement covered all existing and potential claims against the employer. It looks like this did not happen - more incompetence on the part of the AG's office?   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mistercee said:

I would have thought that the legal advisor acting for DOI in relation to the Employment Tribunal claim would have ensured that any settlement agreement covered all existing and potential claims against the employer. It looks like this did not happen - more incompetence on the part of the AG's office?   

Miss Gore is Appleby's I believe so it looks like AGs farmed this one out (although presumably would still need to sign off)

4 hours ago, 2bees said:

Probably took a sabbatical or sick leave 😂

Possibly, but my real point is that his eye was off the ball, as far as his day job was concerned. Clearly, if things were as bad as he seems to have thought, he should not have been allowed to do this TV thing.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newaccount said:

Looks like both Aer Lingus and easyJet have reduced schedules on the Belfast routes during January and February. 

Manchester for Easyjet 😞

Just got an email that my IOM MAN flight in early Feb  2024  has been cancelled 

Looks like there will not be any on Tuesdays and Wednesdays in February. 

They have offered to put me on the LPL flight 

Edited by mad_manx