Airport.

Billy kettlefish

18 hours ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

Just had our Manchester in new year bumped to Liverpool. Problem being we fly into Manchester from Gambia at 03:20 and now have the additional stress and expense of getting a taxi from Man - Liv.

They say I have no grounds for expensing them the taxi and seem to think as they've offered an alternative that the original isn't a cancellation!

Any advices, gratefully accepted.

Check what Logan from Manchester will cost and what a taxi to Liverpool will cost.

Then check what the cost of your MAN IoM leg cost at booking.

If Logan + taxi is less than EZY would have been then cancel that leg and get a refund and book Logan.

17 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

You won't like it but train to Liverpool South Parkway and then bus from there is also an option and will be much cheaper than booking a taxi. Might be a bit of waiting around though.

Depends on train times, flight time from Liverpool, minimum check in time, how many people and how much tat they’re bringing back from Ghana.

( those beach sellers are very persistent )

2 hours ago, mad_manx said:

I've been using  https://www.airporttaxis-uk.co.uk/  for maybe 15 years . They offer you a fixed price and the registered drivers bid for your trip.  I don't have to worry about delays  at all. The driver will wait for you .

I will try them as have quotes coming in from gettransfer.com - thanks for tip 🙂

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

Check what Logan from Manchester will cost and what a taxi to Liverpool will cost.

Then check what the cost of your MAN IoM leg cost at booking.

If Logan + taxi is less than EZY would have been then cancel that leg and get a refund and book Logan.

Thanks all for advice - honestly it is appreciated.

Wife is nurse and just like this morning having returned on boat at 08:00 having taken son to Alder Hey she needs to be back at work on the Monday of our return!

Kids should be at school too, but holiday is much needed and to get decent temperature and to fit into getting on and off the Island - LOL was one of very few options.

Unfortunately, it does seem the only option is taxi to Liverpool and flying home from there instead.

Once again - thanks all.

• Like 1

After Easyjet changed my Gatwick->IoM flight time, I then had the idea to travel by Loganair from City - I have never been to that airport.

I made multiple attempts with two cards, and all I got was "payment declined".

It is extremely frustrating when all you can do is shout at a keyboard.

Technology can be good, but when it goes wrong it becomes a real pain in the neck. It feels like those Hollywood films where the CIA has cancelled all the heroes' credit cards.

On 11/14/2023 at 5:29 PM, Manx Mole said:

Nobody in Government had the knowledge, experience or desire to challenge [Spake]. Those professionals at the Airport who did were branded as bullies…

Googling around I found what appears to be the job specification for his role from March 2018 (presumably before he applied). 

jd 7021 - update (1).pdf

The qualifications section is quite interesting:

Applicants must have had at least 10 years relevant experience in an airport or aviation environment, of which 7 years must be recent airfield operations experience at a management level. Experience with a second aviation discipline (eg Air Traffic Control, Airport Fire Service) is desirable.

In the case of applicants who hold a degree level or equivalent management qualification, the requirement is for at least 7 years relevant aviation experience, of which 5 years should be recent airfield operations experience at a senior management level.

For all applicants, recent experience of managing substantial capital projects, controlling large revenue budgets, experience of managing personnel issues and safety management will be a distinct advantage.

It would be interesting to know how much of that he actually claimed, never mind could be verified.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

On 11/15/2023 at 5:10 PM, newaccount said:

Loganair appear to have either stopped operating Liverpool on Saturdays next summer or there will be forthcoming schedule changes.

I've had a look at April and seats are zeroed out in the app

Easyjet have no Liverpool flights on a Saturday scheduled in April either. Seems crazy to not have at least 1 flight with either airline.

5 hours ago, Two-lane said:

After Easyjet changed my Gatwick->IoM flight time, I then had the idea to travel by Loganair from City - I have never been to that airport.

Technology can be good, but when it goes wrong it becomes a real pain in the neck. It feels like those Hollywood films where the CIA has cancelled all the heroes' credit cards.

I have also struggled with Loganair's payment process.   They key is, I think, to say your credit card home address is in the UK, not the IOM, and then it works.   Alternatively book the same flights using British Airways' website.   Sometimes its a little more expensive for the same flight, but at other times much the same price - with the added benefit of Avios.   

19 hours ago, newaccount said:

I got an email about 24 hours after the app updated. I changed my plans before the email came through.

Go to http://journey.easyjet.com and it should give you alternative flights (either connections on easyJet or alternative airline). However since Aer Lingus have also cancelled BHD it might be easier or necessary for you to go on chat and discuss alternatives. The link I posted earlier has a section on alternative flights and alternative carriers

Looking like Dublin is our best and cheapest option at present. Priced via England and it’s ££££

6 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Make sure your card billing address is UK and not IOM. That usually fixes it.

1 hour ago, Karellen said:

Alternatively book the same flights using British Airways' website.   Sometimes its a little more expensive for the same flight, but at other times much the same price - with the added benefit of Avios.   

Astounding. Thanks. Perhaps this is common knowledge to regular travellers, but I was unaware of this. On behalf of infrequent travellers I give you 5 stars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Major Rushen said:

Make sure your card billing address is UK and not IOM. That usually fixes it.

Thanks. I am in Tenerife so I assumed that was the problem - payment went via, I think, WorldPay and possibly their algorithm rejected me because of the foreign IP address. Afterwards I had the idea to use a VPN to get a UK IP address, but by then it was too late.

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Easyjet have no Liverpool flights on a Saturday scheduled in April either. Seems crazy to not have at least 1 flight with either airline.

The whole air schedule is just collapsing into a huge mess. No Bristol or Belfast for most of Q1 2024. Many dates with no Gatwick, or Liverpool, across the same period. A dozen,  or so, dates when EZY won't be here at all.

As the rest of the aviation world slowly gets back towards 2019 numbers, we appear to be accelerating backwards at high speed.

And, no one in Government will accept any responsibility for letting this happen, or for trying to reverse the trend.

@Stu Peters I know you only oversee the operational aspect of the Airport, but is anyone actually trying to get a grip on this decimation of our connectivty, or is everyone just looking the other way?