Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 hours ago, SuffolkNGoode said:

Thanks all for advice - honestly it is appreciated.

Wife is nurse and just like this morning having returned on boat at 08:00 having taken son to Alder Hey she needs to be back at work on the Monday of our return!

Kids should be at school too, but holiday is much needed and to get decent temperature and to fit into getting on and off the Island - LOL was one of very few options.

Unfortunately, it does seem the only option is taxi to Liverpool and flying home from there instead.

Once again - thanks all.

I still don’t understand why you won’t look at LoganAir from Manchester. It’s got to be easier than transferring to Liverpool in the early hours and carting luggage for four.

EZY are obliged to refund that leg as they cancelled it. Unless you’ve already locked in?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

The whole air schedule is just collapsing into a huge mess. No Bristol or Belfast for most of Q1 2024. Many dates with no Gatwick, or Liverpool, across the same period. A dozen,  or so, dates when EZY won't be here at all.

As the rest of the aviation world slowly gets back towards 2019 numbers, we appear to be accelerating backwards at high speed.

And, no one in Government will accept any responsibility for letting this happen, or for trying to reverse the trend.

@Stu Peters I know you only oversee the operational aspect of the Airport, but is anyone actually trying to get a grip on this decimation of our connectivty, or is everyone just looking the other way?

Connectivity on a small island is key . The Isle of Man is reaping the rewards of the misguided desire for EasyJet. I really don’t understand why so many posters are surprised by what is happening. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, IOM said:

Connectivity on a small island is key . The Isle of Man is reaping the rewards of the misguided desire for EasyJet. I really don’t understand why so many posters are surprised by what is happening. 

If only we'd stuck with insisting Flybe did everything.  It would have all gone so smoothly.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

If only we'd stuck with insisting Flybe did everything.  It would have all gone so smoothly.

It would, up until the point Flybe due to other reasons, unconnected with this island, hit the buffers ! Flybe hit the buffers early here because of easyJet, meaning Flybe withdrew an aircraft and their new CEO decided that we were no longer a base. The island lost out in a huge way with crews, engineers and other support staff, in some cases relocating, engineering was lost, and buckets of Tax and Ni was lost to treasury not to mention the skills drained off the island.

I agree the point at which Flybe went bang, would have been a disaster, but Flybe effectively going bang for us was of our own making.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, asitis said:

It would, up until the point Flybe due to other reasons, unconnected with this island, hit the buffers ! Flybe hit the buffers early here because of easyJet, meaning Flybe withdrew an aircraft and their new CEO decided that we were no longer a base. The island lost out in a huge way with crews, engineers and other support staff, in some cases relocating, engineering was lost, and buckets of Tax and Ni was lost to treasury not to mention the skills drained off the island.

I agree the point at which Flybe went bang, would have been a disaster, but Flybe effectively going bang for us was of our own making.

But Flybe's base closure in 2014 was only part of a much wider programme of cuts: Bases at Aberdeen, Guernsey, Inverness, Isle of Man, Jersey and Newcastle are due to close as the airline looks to save £85m over the next few years.  It wasn't IOM-specific.  And the Isle of Man actually did better than the others as the recently-published Air Services Review explains:

• Flybe closing its operational base at the airport in March 2014, removing based aircraft and staff. This will have been partly influenced by the sale of its London Gatwick slots and the subsequent withdrawal of its (high-frequency) London-Isle of Man connection. These slots were purchased by easyJet, who consequently increased frequencies to the Isle of Man, but to approximately 50% of the level previously operated by Flybe;
  • A change in strategy of Aer Arran, who previously operated routes to Dublin and London City. On rebranding to ‘Stobart Air’ franchise agreements were made with Aer Lingus Regional and Flybe, and flights were operated under these brands. A Stobart Air base operating flights for Flybe was opened in Summer 2016;

The Manx Government may thing the world revolves around it and pay people to reassure it that this is so, but in the end we are affected by what happens in the wider world and nowhere is this more obvious than in the airline industry.

• Like 5

Rather than spending £80m+ on a greenhouse in Liverpool they would have been better throwing half at easyJet and half at Ryanair. 

Would have done more for tourism, population growth, social mobility and raising awareness and connectivity than any other hair brained scheme could even conjure up.

Plus - There would be flights to Dublin and Stansted with decent cabin baggage allowance and onward connections.

Of course I'm half joking. But the other half of me wishes this had happened. Would reach the 1 million air passengers per year no problem 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, newaccount said:

Rather than spending £80m+ on a greenhouse in Liverpool they would have been better throwing half at easyJet and half at Ryanair. 

Would have done more for tourism, population growth, social mobility and raising awareness and connectivity than any other hair brained scheme could even conjure up.

Plus - There would be flights to Dublin and Stansted with decent cabin baggage allowance and onward connections.

Of course I'm half joking. But the other half of me wishes this had happened. Would reach the 1 million air passengers per year no problem 

Could have bought another boat.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, newaccount said:

Seriously???

Please show your workings out!

15 hours ago, Nellie said:

The whole air schedule is just collapsing into a huge mess. No Bristol or Belfast for most of Q1 2024. Many dates with no Gatwick, or Liverpool, across the same period. A dozen,  or so, dates when EZY won't be here at all.

As the rest of the aviation world slowly gets back towards 2019 numbers, we appear to be accelerating backwards at high speed.

I'm not sure that the aviation world is recovering that well though - certainly not as fast as it hoped.  The Air Services Review produced in November 2021 predicted:

Combining data and trends from these sources it has been assumed that traffic will recover to:

• 81% of 2019 levels in 2022;
  • 95% of 2019 levels in 2023;
  • 99% of 2019 levels in 2024; and
  • 100% of 2019 levels in 2025.

But actually the 2022 pax figures for IOM were only 65% of 2019.  Most other places recovered a bit better, but Jersey was only 77%, Guernsey 76%, London Airports combined 74% and outside London 76% (figures derived from here)  There has been further improvement in 2023, but the latest IOM-produced figures report a 17.5% increase on 2022, which would be equivalent to 76% of 2019 levels, nowhere near the 95% hoped for. 

The CAA figures for the 12 months to September suggest a UK increase of 35% on the previous 12 months to that (which will of course have included Q4 of the disastrous 2021), while the equivalent IOM-supplied figure is 21%, which suggests a widening gap, but that neither are anywhere back to full health.  I'd need to look at and sum individual months to compare properly with 2019.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Add italics
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MAG, which owns and operates Manchester, London Stansted and East Midlands Airports served 5.6m passengers across the month, a figure which was equal to 104% of passengers served in October 2019.

Manchester Airport saw its passenger numbers overtake pre-pandemic levels for the first time in October - the 2.6m passengers who passed through its terminals was equivalent to 105% of 2019 levels.

Passenger levels were up 14% on October 2022 and brought the airports rolling 12-month total to 27.6m passengers.