Airport.

Billy kettlefish

@Banker thanks for posting that link.

“In April, Tynwald Members received the Isle of Man Airport: Function, Future and Form report and noted: an incremental approach to exploring how the airport may be operated at arm’s length; and the intention to review its current position as a division of the Department of Infrastructure to potentially become a statutory board or limited company”.

The three non-executive directors have experience and expertise, but having the Airport operated at arm’s length is a bad idea for a whole raft of reasons previously outlined in this thread. This Government’s Tory-like obsession with arm’s length operations of critical public infrastructure is dangerous and short-sighted. If my MHKs vote for this proposal they will receive precisely zero votes from me at the next election.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, code99 said:

The three non-executive directors have experience and expertise, but having the Airport operated at arm’s length is a bad idea for a whole raft of reasons previously outlined in this thread. This Government’s Tory-like obsession with arm’s length operations of critical public infrastructure is dangerous and short-sighted. If my MHKs vote for this proposal they will receive precisely zero votes from me at the next election.

They are non-executive directors they aren’t running or operating anything at arms length. They are there to advise the board not to specifically do anything of an executive nature. It’s just fluff. 

• Thanks 3

Typical MF: ‘the airport is a disgrace and something should be done’. 

Three hugely impressive NEDs with significant relevant expertise appointed at a cost of maybe just £10k per year total and people are kicking off.

I met them yesterday for the first time. These are exactly the kind of people we need to steer the airport back on track and make flying bearable again.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Three hugely impressive NEDs with significant relevant expertise appointed at a cost of maybe just £10k per year total and people are kicking off.

One from Highlands and Islands Airports Limited.

Isn’t there someone else already at the airport with a long career at Highlands and Islands Airports Limited.

Pure coincidence I’m sure.

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

These are exactly the kind of people we need to steer the airport back on track and make flying bearable again.

Just for the record and for the benefit of the taxpayer, who are we holding accountable for the airport coming off track and flying becoming unbearable?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Typical MF: ‘the airport is a disgrace and something should be done’. 

I met them yesterday for the first time. These are exactly the kind of people we need to steer the airport back on track and make flying bearable again.

.... and some connections with Highlands and Islands but of course no Civil Service interference in their appointments. What a shame the locals didn't get a look in !

Edited by asitis
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Just for the record and for the benefit of the taxpayer, who are we holding accountable for the airport coming off track and flying becoming unbearable?

I have no clue, but I'm guessing it won't be anyone from Highlands and Islands.

• Haha 2

58 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

If you think they are the bee's knee's and will save us from the mediocre shit show and you have every faith in them, What happens if they are just bullshit artists. You going to resign after that sweeping praise you have heaped on them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

But the point is they’re NEDS. They aren’t running anything they’re independents supporting and advising the board. They aren’t running anything no matter how qualified they are. 

Edited by Cueey Lewis And The News

15 minutes ago, Cueey Lewis And The News said:

But the point is they’re NEDS. They aren’t running anything they’re independents supporting and advising the board. They aren’t running anything no matter how qualified they are. 

Hate to seem to disagree, but NEDS (as a general statement of how these things work) are part of the board and are there to provide the benefit of their experience to the other executive members.  They are not executives, that is right, but they are members of the board nevertheless, ie part of the decision making body. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1