Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, John Wright said:

OK. That’s a very small bag for a week. Plus 2 nights in UK and meals on 28/12.

Plus  seat allocation x 8.

Its only then you’d be comparing like with like.

seat allocation - optional

2 nights in uk added to the edited the post 

total about £400 for two adults

add large bag (ok I left that out - couldnt be arsed)

add meals on friday 20th and sat 27th your still getting it cheaper than this

you're not taking any time off work and the with the one below you lose about half a day in the sun

image.thumb.png.13c371939658edd16d91d4ccbc37ff74.png

Edited by newaccount

1 minute ago, newaccount said:

seat allocation - optional

2 nights in uk added to the edited the post 

total about £400 for two adults

add large bag (ok I left that out - couldnt be arsed)

add meals on friday 20th and sat 27th your still getting it cheaper than this

image.thumb.png.13c371939658edd16d91d4ccbc37ff74.png

You’ll get allocated seats and hold baggage on the direct. You’ll be surprised how much they add.

I can manage an under seat bag for a week at a pinch. But I prefer not to. And I get added allowance with the wheelchair.

2 minutes ago, Banker said:

So have I but with the direct flight you’re paying a premium for the convenience of just going to local airport and not worrying about getting off the island!!

Yup. If one of those EasyJets get cancelled you’re on your own, even with the very expensive DoHop insurance policy you get with EasyJet Worldwide.

If you book one of these direct flights well in advance, I assume you can be reasonably sure that the flight will go at somewhere near its scheduled time (bankruptcy and tornados excepted).

From my own, personal, actual, experience, if you book Easyjet well in advance you can absolutely guarantee the flight will not go at anywhere near its scheduled time, and frequently not even the same day and sometimes from a different airport.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Utah 01 said:

An assessment to be expected from a civvy with no military knowledge or experience whatsoever.

That's a full and comprehensive military ATCO CV from which he will have gained more experience than you've got in your little finger.  Several of those tours, although ostensibly operational, will always involve management.  All ATC tasks are management albeit with aircraft rather than directly with personnel although as a Royal Navy officer man-management ashore and at sea are part and parcel of daily commissioned life.  To take an aircraft through UK airspace in area radar terms, as he would have done at London Mil, is complex management and he'll have made more decisions in an hour on console than most of 'you lot' will make in a year.

There may well be  a culture and personality problem down at Heathrow-on-Sea but the ATC manager, on paper, he has more than enough experience, both managerial and operationally, for this Manx backwater.  I'd venture to suggest he might have too much!

Quite a disparaging statement I think. I  am a "civvy" but have worked internationally with many ex military controllers, mainly great people but they all laugh about " inflated" military CVs, it happens all the time. As for the point of taking a military aircraft through UK airspace. That is what all controllers do day to day, mainly " civvy" controllers with a LOT more aircraft to handle. This is not management it is Air Traffic Control. Management is something completely different. Dealing with people, budgets, policy etc. Many controllers never want to enter that world.

As for not having a "civvy" ATC licence that, if true, is quite a shock. ALL  previous ATC managers were fully qualified controllers and had to stand in when there were staff sickness problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

And if/when the Loganair doesn’t go, your entire holiday is ruined.

Pays your money, makes your choice.

Last summer some of the BA chartered flights to / from Spain didn't operate or had overnight delays. 

So just because it's a direct flight doesn't necessarily mean it's going to operate.

If you've got decent travel insurance it will cover the scenario you mentioned (and I mentioned in this post). 

Get the next flight to the destination and claim. Been there, seen it, done it.