Airport.

Billy kettlefish

They've also got issues with their boat.  I understand it's a pretty nice RIB very similar to those used by the RNLI. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-airports-emergency-rescue-boat-hasnt-been-used-since-it-was-bought-for-ps90000-658197

Although the report isn't that well worded.  They haven't used it mainly because there hasn't been a plane crash in the sea off the airport! 

Although, are they completely unable to use it due to an absence of training?  Why not?  Considering the RNLI is able to get volunteers to do this and trained up in basically the same boat.  If they can't use it and aren't going to train anyone up to use it, then why do they still have it?

Also, seeing the 'new' slipway at Derbyhaven which goes barely 10m down the beach, unless they've got a monster truck for launching, it could only be used in the extremely fortunate scenario that a plane crashes at hightide. 

I love this CS gobbledygook:

But asked why the Department of Infrastructure would procure a vessel which has not been operational for four years, the spokesperson said: ‘The decision to acquire a rescue boat hinges on a range of considerations, encompassing the department’s evaluation of existing and anticipated operational requirements, advancements in technology and adherence to safety standards. Changes in recent years to training and competency criteria have led to the potential operational status of the boat being reassessed.

They used to do training for sea rescues (which does seem sensible to me). Some years ago there was a news report that during training one of their rescue vehicles got stuck on the pebbles  - and ended up under water when the tide came in.

[Which is a point which emphasises the need to to actual training, and not just classroom exercises]

23 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

They used to do training for sea rescues (which does seem sensible to me). Some years ago there was a news report that during training one of their rescue vehicles got stuck on the pebbles  - and ended up under water when the tide came in.

[Which is a point which emphasises the need to to actual training, and not just classroom exercises]

This  perhaps?

derbyhaven.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, ellanvannin2010 said:

This  perhaps?

derbyhaven.jpg

Doh!  Why did they try and launch it there though!  The slipway is at the top of the photo near those buildings. 

32 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I'd definately agree they should have a boat.  It just baffles me why they can't train anyone up.  Surely they could bolt on to any of the relevant RNLI training?   

1 hour ago, The Phantom said:

They've also got issues with their boat.  I understand it's a pretty nice RIB very similar to those used by the RNLI. 

https://www.iomtoday.co.im/news/isle-of-man-airports-emergency-rescue-boat-hasnt-been-used-since-it-was-bought-for-ps90000-658197

Although the report isn't that well worded.  They haven't used it mainly because there hasn't been a plane crash in the sea off the airport! 

Although, are they completely unable to use it due to an absence of training?  Why not?  Considering the RNLI is able to get volunteers to do this and trained up in basically the same boat.  If they can't use it and aren't going to train anyone up to use it, then why do they still have it?

Also, seeing the 'new' slipway at Derbyhaven which goes barely 10m down the beach, unless they've got a monster truck for launching, it could only be used in the extremely fortunate scenario that a plane crashes at hightide. 

No they haven't used it mainly because no one is trained to.  This up to the minute bit of reporting is actually about a question Moorhouse asked in the 28 November House of Keys, though we still don't have the Hansard of it (supposed to be produced the same week) so it's not just the reporters being tardy.  But we do have the audio with Crookall being his usual bemused self:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/playaudio?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202301-1044a.mp3

Presumably the Airport fire crew are so busy rushing from fire to fire that they have no time to do the training.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Presumably the Airport fire crew are so busy rushing from gym to pool table that they have no time to do the training.

Amended for accuracy.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

No they haven't used it mainly because no one is trained to.  This up to the minute bit of reporting is actually about a question Moorhouse asked in the 28 November House of Keys, though we still don't have the Hansard of it (supposed to be produced the same week) so it's not just the reporters being tardy.  But we do have the audio with Crookall being his usual bemused self:

https://www.tynwald.org.im/playaudio?file=/business/listen/AgainFiles/O-202301-1044a.mp3

Presumably the Airport fire crew are so busy rushing from fire to fire that they have no time to do the training.

Apart from helping the odd granny off a plane, all they do is training!  Plus surely training in a speedboat has got to be one of the more entertaining aspects of the job?

It appears once again just to be sheer incompetency.

51 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I love this CS gobbledygook:

It's just utter bullshit, isn't it? Utter, meaningless drivel. It doesn't even remotely attempt to answer the posed question and is exemplary of the attitude that "we are above questioning". The problem is that nobody seems to be able to question it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

It's just utter bullshit, isn't it? Utter, meaningless drivel. It doesn't even remotely attempt to answer the posed question and is exemplary of the attitude that "we are above questioning". The problem is that nobody seems to be able to question it.

I was thinking more along the lines of "I don't fucking know, why are you asking me?" 

34 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Amended for accuracy.

I actually thought: "I'll set that one up and let someone else knock it in".

But yes, all they do is training, and the terribly difficult and high-standard training (according to Crookall) that they need to do to be able to operate the RIB is as Phantom pointed out, something that RNLI volunteers have to fit in around their full-time jobs.

Which leads to the question why they need a boat (and slipway) at all if the Coastguard and RNLI are deemed acceptable to cover?  Alternatively if there is a need for an even more immediate response why have they been failing to provide adequate cover for so long (wasn't the previous boat got rid of in 2016?).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I wonder if this absence of proper training for the boat has anything to do with the IOMCAA certification thingy, being put on notice for not complying? It would be very strange if it wasn't part of the certification process.

Whilst having a little dig at the job of the Fire/Rescue down there, I do know a few of them and they're competent, decent guys who would be more than capable of doing this.

It's certainly a management fault, neglecting required and sensible training. Not the guys at the tip of the spear.

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

Which leads to the question why they need a boat (and slipway) at all if the Coastguard and RNLI are deemed acceptable to cover? 

Somewhere within the CAA regulations is a response time for the fire crew to get to a crashed aircraft on the airfield (or maybe nearby). I recall it being a rather small number of minutes.