Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 hours ago, asitis said:

Well ATC is a fuck up, so I guess he's the highest paid car park attendant on the planet !

NO ,   he is not even the car park attendant they have abrogated  responsibility for the carparks to Ringo , just what are people paid to do at the airport ? and why are Menzies  responsible for providing the de icing  surly this should be  on a par with the fire services and staff properly trained  and ready to act when freezing weather is forecast   

Isle of man where you can at Fred Karno's  airport ,

• Like 5
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IOM said:

No I don’t but I would hazard a guess it was not this week ! 

You miss the point.

Someone else has already said it doesn’t matter how often or when you check something, sometimes it just breaks.

It seems people have concluded it’s through negligence and something that could have been avoided easily without knowing any facts.  Fair enough, it appears to be the Manxforums way, but I would bet those thinking it’s easily avoided have never been responsible for much machinery. Maybe some of you should work for Menzies and balance their budget against equipment costs in such a way as to guarantee there are never any failures or any downtime, ever 🙄.

• Confused 2

1 hour ago, Sheldon said:

Wonder when the fault was detected? As @CrazyDave implied above, it could well have been tested successfully last night but still failed when called upon this morning. You'd like to think any testing hadn't been left until the last minute, given the weather forecast.

Also wonder what their documented RTO is after detection of a problem. (They may well have met that too, of course.)

The fluid has to be heated and kept at that temperature and then applied to the aircraft. The application of de-icing fluid strength of the mix, temperature has to certified by an engineer or the Captain.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omobono said:

NO ,   he is not even the car park attendant they have abrogated  responsibility for the carparks to Ringo , just what are people paid to do at the airport ? and why are Menzies  responsible for providing the de icing  surly this should be  on a par with the fire services and staff properly trained  and ready to act when freezing weather is forecast   

Isle of man where you can at Fred Karno's  airport ,

You just don't get it. It's not 1950, and the only clown at Karno's circus appears to be you.

The Airport runs the Airport. It runs ATC, fire services, security so that commercial providers can provide the flights. The airport isn't responsible for de-icing all the planes, that's paid for by the commercial providers.

They fuel, maintain and de-ice their own planes, and groundside operations are provided by Menzies. As a commercial operation, Menzies don't have an army of Rolls-Royce de-icers waiting around just in case. They provide the minimum for a small airport on a small island, and sometimes they break down. 

The whingers would be the first ones to complain if the Government was doing everything, including the de-icing at public cost. You want small Government, this is what you get - services contracted-out, as they should be. You can't whinge about the airport when it's a commercial provider that's at fault.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

You just don't get it. It's not 1950, and the only clown at Karno's circus appears to be you.

The Airport runs the Airport. It runs ATC, fire services, security so that commercial providers can provide the flights. The airport isn't responsible for de-icing all the planes, that's paid for by the commercial providers.

They fuel, maintain and de-ice their own planes, and groundside operations are provided by Menzies. As a commercial operation, Menzies don't have an army of Rolls-Royce de-icers waiting around just in case. They provide the minimum for a small airport on a small island, and sometimes they break down. 

The whingers would be the first ones to complain if the Government was doing everything, including the de-icing at public cost. You want small Government, this is what you get - services contracted-out, as they should be. You can't whinge about the airport when it's a commercial provider that's at fault.  

Sounds great, but when will we see the small government bit?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Bastard said:

all I ask government to do , is make sure things are done properly , for the good on everyone on this Island , this arms length approach to everything appears not to be working  and there is apparently no one looking out for Joe Public 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Omobono said:

all I ask government to do , is make sure things are done properly , for the good on everyone on this Island , this arms length approach to everything appears not to be working  and there is apparently no one looking out for Joe Public 

Joe Public should be looking out for himself. It's not the remit of Government to run everything on the island at a Rolls-Royce standard at public expense - it should be providing the infrastructure for business, which is exactly what it's doing at the airport. You may not like that a Nanny state isn't de-icing the aircraft at public expense, but the Government simply has no business doing it. It's a commercial operation, and it should be handled by commercial providers.

The Government already fixes the roads, runs the ferries, runs the airport, arrests the criminals, pays for your healthcare, pays for national defence, supplies you with electricity and clean water, gives you hospitals, swimming pools and sports centres, makes sure things are safe and prosecutes when they aren't, educates the kids and pays you benefits when you need them. I am unsure where you get the idea that Joe Public isn't being looked-out for. That seems pretty good to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

15 minutes ago, The Bastard said:

Joe Public should be looking out for himself. It's not the remit of Government to run everything on the island at a Rolls-Royce standard at public expense - it should be providing the infrastructure for business, which is exactly what it's doing at the airport. You may not like that a Nanny state isn't de-icing the aircraft at public expense, but the Government simply has no business doing it. It's a commercial operation, and it should be handled by commercial providers.

The Government already fixes the roads, runs the ferries, runs the airport, arrests the criminals, pays for your healthcare, pays for national defence, supplies you with electricity and clean water, gives you hospitals, swimming pools and sports centres, makes sure things are safe and prosecutes when they aren't, educates the kids and pays you benefits when you need them. I am unsure where you get the idea that Joe Public isn't being looked-out for. That seems pretty good to me.

Sorry I think it’s you that’s not getting it . I agree it’s not up to government to run every minutia on the island nor do I expect that . But I do think it’s fair and reasonable for everyone involved at the airport to make sure it all comes together and is fit for operation . I have worked in private large scale business which had multiple contractors each doing something to provide one customer service. And we would work together and check the end to end operation was all joined up and the batons handed over smoothly so nothing fell between the cracks and the customer was not impacted . I think it’s entirely reasonable to expect the same at the airport and for each relevant party to challenge another . 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3