Airport.

Billy kettlefish

33 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

10-15 minutes in the Irish Sea at its temperature...and at least 50% of people won't be getting rescued alive.

Rescue needs to be done in minutes.

ETA: ...and that's just for a calm sea.

30 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You sure your not getting mixed up with the Artic sea, or the fact that having your head underwater for 10-15 minutes can be detrimental to your health.

19 minutes ago, Blade Runner said:

Cold water shock is a killer, it does not have to be freezing.

It why kids die in rivers in the summer in a lot of cases

I've seen people in wetsuits come close to drowning in summer surf within a matter of minutes. 

Similar time in the winter in calm seas for sea swimmers. 

I've rescued people in both situations.  Sometimes they're not even aware themselves. 

Pt Erin this summer I pulled an inexperienced paddleboarder out of the surf in Pt Erin as he was in the process of getting blown out to sea and getting mild hypothermia. 

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

I don’t have any specific knowledge of why staff aren’t trained up on the boat, but my guess would be  it’s to with there not being enough of them employed to allow attendance at whatever training needs to be given.

If that’s the case, then someone should have perhaps considered that before spending (wasting) a lot of money.

Yes, it was stated in the news article that the Airport firemen can't be allowed enough boat training time for their competence standard on the boat to remain current/up to date.

It's a wonder DOI haven't decided to employ a full-time, dedicated boat crew for the purpose, given the money they've already spent. Though I suppose they'd have to buy another pool table then too.

From a Google search - It is about 10 miles by sea from Douglas to the airport. The RNLI boats have a speed of about 30 mph. Assuming about 10 minutes for the crew to get to the lifeboat station, that gives a response time of at least 30 minutes.

Compare that to the CAA mandated response time of 3 minutes for an on-airfield accident.

There is an emergency plan for the airport. A while ago it was mentioned in the press. The gov. refuses to publish the details in case terrorists use that information to carry out an attack.

I would like to know what the instructions to the fire crews are if an aircraft ends up 100 metres from the shore. Are they supposed to just stand there and wait for the lifeboat to turn up?

Meanwhile any locals nearby will have requisitioned any small boats and done what what they can to save people.

[An earlier FoI request states that the purpose of the RIB was not to rescue people, but to distribute flotation aids to passengers. However it is plain common-sense that the crew would be pulling children on board and ferrying them to shore.]

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

From a Google search - It is about 10 miles by sea from Douglas to the airport. The RNLI boats have a speed of about 30 mph. Assuming about 10 minutes for the crew to get to the lifeboat station, that gives a response time of at least 30 minutes.

[An earlier FoI request states that the purpose of the RIB was not to rescue people, but to distribute flotation aids to passengers. However it is plain common-sense that the crew would be pulling children on board and ferrying them to shore.]

And that is in perfect conditions.  As soon as it gets remotely choppy, smaller boats will have to slow down significantly. 

Yes the reality of what the boat could do is debatable.  Lets say it's an Easyjet flight with 150 people on.  A RIB that size would only be able to take an additional two or three people in addition to the crew. 

In terms of locals taking out boats.  Not if it's low tide they won't.  You need a tractor to access the sea at Derbyhaven if the tide is out and your boats are either on the grass or sand. 

Edited by The Phantom
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

Yes, it was stated in the news article that the Airport firemen can't be allowed enough boat training time for their competence standard on the boat to remain current/up to date.

It's a wonder DOI haven't decided to employ a full-time, dedicated boat crew for the purpose, given the money they've already spent. Though I suppose they'd have to buy another pool table then too.

Maybe the airport could close for a couple of hours once a month to facilitate the training. With prior notification to all users I can’t see that being a problem.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

You sure your not getting mixed up with the Artic sea, or the fact that having your head underwater for 10-15 minutes can be detrimental to your health.

As well as temperature...next time you're on a flight...take a look at the passengers around you. Demographic, size and weight, clothes etc.

These aren't fit people flying to work on an oil rig.

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Maybe the airport could close for a couple of hours once a month to facilitate the training. With prior notification to all users I can’t see that being a problem.

Could it be combined with ATC downtime, we seem to have plenty of that?

2 hours ago, The Phantom said:

I've seen people in wetsuits come close to drowning in summer surf within a matter of minutes. 

Similar time in the winter in calm seas for sea swimmers. 

I've rescued people in both situations.  Sometimes they're not even aware themselves. 

Pt Erin this summer I pulled an inexperienced paddleboarder out of the surf in Pt Erin as he was in the process of getting blown out to sea and getting mild hypothermia. 

I once tried to help a fella I thought was exhibiting hypothermia but he just gave me the cold shoulder. 

• Haha 7
  • Sad 1

Maybe we could just schedule flights for when the tide is in so we can then launch the myriad of small boats, not unlike we have to alter the boat timetable to coincide with the right tidal conditions. Why would you wait for the lifeboat to come from Douglas. Port St Mary is a lot closer and has an inshore as well as an offshore boat. ?

6 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Maybe we could just schedule flights for when the tide is in so we can then launch the myriad of small boats, not unlike we have to alter the boat timetable to coincide with the right tidal conditions. Why would you wait for the lifeboat to come from Douglas. Port St Mary is a lot closer and has an inshore as well as an offshore boat. ?

You'd have to go round Langness to get to the airport.  Realistically there wouldn't be much difference between Douglas and PSM.   The Douglas boat (Shannon Class) is a little bit quicker than the PSM boat (Trent). 

I don't know for certain, but I'd say the Douglas boat would be faster to launch too. 

18 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Some airport firemen certainly were RNLI/rescue in their spare time...knew a couple a few years back.

My original comment was if we were relying in the airport fire crew we would have to wait until tea break/ pool game was over nowt to do with the RNLI.