Airport.

Billy kettlefish

58 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

You'd have to go round Langness to get to the airport.  Realistically there wouldn't be much difference between Douglas and PSM.   The Douglas boat (Shannon Class) is a little bit quicker than the PSM boat (Trent). 

I don't know for certain, but I'd say the Douglas boat would be faster to launch too. 

Depends which runway and if they are landing/taking off, crew tend to be closer in PSM.

58 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

You'd have to go round Langness to get to the airport.  Realistically there wouldn't be much difference between Douglas and PSM.   The Douglas boat (Shannon Class) is a little bit quicker than the PSM boat (Trent). 

I don't know for certain, but I'd say the Douglas boat would be faster to launch too. 

Depends which runway and if they are landing/taking off, crew tend to be closer in PSM.

19 hours ago, finlo said:

They'd probably have to wait for them to finish their tea break (or game of pool) anyway.

I am not sure if you are being facetious, but the CAA requirement is for the fire crews to be at an on-airfield accident site within 3 minutes.

No doubt the CAA requires regular training. Maybe occasionally they turn up with a stop watch.

Having bought the equipment, I do not understand why it is not kept available for an inshore rescue.

And an answer to my question above is one I would expect that people would be interested in - What are the instructions for the fire crew in the event of an accident outside the perimeter fence?

18 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I am not sure if you are being facetious, but the CAA requirement is for the fire crews to be at an on-airfield accident site within 3 minutes.

No doubt the CAA requires regular training. Maybe occasionally they turn up with a stop watch.

Having bought the equipment, I do not understand why it is not kept available for an inshore rescue.

And an answer to my question above is one I would expect that people would be interested in - What are the instructions for the fire crew in the event of an accident outside the perimeter fence?

I was an attempt at humour as we're constantly told the airport is closed because people are on their break but I obviously failed dismally!

2 hours ago, Two-lane said:

What are the instructions for the fire crew in the event of an accident outside the perimeter fence?

finish your frame of snooker and then see if it's still going on and worth going for a skeet.

3 hours ago, WTF said:

finish your frame of snooker and then see if it's still going on and worth going for a skeet.

Or, "It's not our area Gov".

On 1/25/2024 at 5:11 PM, asitis said:

If an aircraft enters the sea enthusiastically then it's academic in any case !

My understanding is that the survival rate for ditching in water close to an airport is actually surprisingly high.

RNLI training is highly standardised and very specific to RNLI boats and equipment. It would be a big ask to expect volunteers also to train and stay current in processes and equipment specific to airport / aircraft rescue. 

Another day of chaos with Loganair today. It does seem that they can't keep their two ATR's flying for more that a few hours, before some other issue, or crisis, arises. 

Both London City rotations cancelled, as was last night's return. Titan brought in again, for the third time in a week, to operate Heathrow. 

I estimate that Loganair have cancelled around 40 flights to or from the Island, in that last two weeks, alone. It'll be interesting to see the January stats, when they eventually appear. For comparison, easyJet have canclled six, all month, and they were all on Sunday 21st, when the Airport was effectively closed due to the high winds.

Loganair's IOM routes, and base, must be pretty marginal at this time of year, but the costs they are incurring at the moment (EU/UK261, re-routing and hotels, chartering capacity) must mean that they are losing significant money. 

You do have to wonder how bad it has to get before they throw in the towel, and what contingency plans DfE and/or DoI will have, for such a scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

Another day of chaos with Loganair today. It does seem that they can't keep their two ATR's flying for more that a few hours, before some other issue, or crisis, arises. 

Both London City rotations cancelled, as was last night's return. Titan brought in again, for the third time in a week, to operate Heathrow. 

I estimate that Loganair have cancelled around 40 flights to or from the Island, in that last two weeks, alone. It'll be interesting to see the January stats, when they eventually appear. For comparison, easyJet have canclled six, all month, and they were all on Sunday 21st, when the Airport was effectively closed due to the high winds.

Loganair's IOM routes, and base, must be pretty marginal at this time of year, but the costs they are incurring at the moment (EU/UK261, re-routing and hotels, chartering capacity) must mean that they are losing significant money. 

You do have to wonder how bad it has to get before they throw in the towel, and what contingency plans DfE and/or DoI will have, for such a scenario.

If it had been the boat it would be headlines on every news site plus all over Facebook, questions in Tynwald etc etc

• Like 1