Airport.

Billy kettlefish

38 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I'd imagine that Team Ronaldsway haven't put anything like as thorough, insightful or honest in front of @Stu Peters

This will be their offering to Stu...

Screenshot_20240130-180702_Samsung Internet.jpg

58 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

This will be their offering to Stu...

Screenshot_20240130-180702_Samsung Internet.jpg

To be fair, whoever wrote the IOM Newspapers piece has done their own calculations there from the IOM Airport summary table I linked to earlier.  But they were clearly so excited to see that the figures had been published (it's actually been up for well over a week) that they missed my warning about the Belfast airports being the wrong way round and said:

Emerald’s Dublin route saw an impressive 53.2% increase from 25,287 to 38,738 but its Belfast City service dropped by 9.3% from 22,012 to 19,975.

which still be impressive give it didn't start till 24 April 2023

• Thanks 1

Loganair altering schedules today.

2 flights to LHR on a Saturday and Sunday one the website now (but both within a couple of hours of each other which is a odd). Weekday departure brought forward to just before 10am.

LCY remains, which is a little bit of a surprise too.

Few other changes to MAN timings

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

2 flights to LHR on a Saturday and Sunday one the website now (but both within a couple of hours of each other which is a odd). Weekday departure brought forward to just before 10am.

Not every Sunday has the two LHR flights  from what I can see although it may be work in progress 

2 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

LCY isn't a surprise though. IOM Govt put pressure on LM to keep LCY in place. Don't be surprised if there's some ' incentive' in place from somewhere or other.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

He's "taken over the reigns" apparently (even by IOM Newspapers standards this is dreadfully written).  Of course he was already Executive Chairman, so he hasn't actually "landed the top job", just done what you would expect him to do in the circumstances of Hinkles' abrupt and rather mysterious departure.

Manx Radio covered the story rather better back on Monday and did include Hinkles' full resignation statement:

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/manxman-takes-on-top-role-at-loganair-as-ceo-steps-down/

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cheesypeas said:

LCY isn't a surprise though. IOM Govt put pressure on LM to keep LCY in place. Don't be surprised if there's some ' incentive' in place from somewhere or other.

There is still subsidy up to March 2024, I think. Maybe the deal has been extended.  But it's clearly not really working for LCY as the figures I analysed show.

1 hour ago, cheesypeas said:

You mean it’s subsidised? I thought that was common knowledge. 

5 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

Fucks sake, some of the changes fuck up my plans

On 1/18/2024 at 10:49 PM, The Bastard said:

You still don't get it, you have a simple viewpoint and think that a Nanny state runs the whole operation from end to end and has an onus on it to guarantee flights.

The Airport isn't one business with multiple contractors like your example. It's like denationalised bus services in the rest of the world. The airport is in effect one business (like the bus station), the actual flight providers and ground services providers are other businesses that pay money for the facilities (like Arriva for the buses and their bus maintenance partners), and return money in tax.

The airport pays to contract some of its core services out to providers (including Menzies), and seeks restitution if they don't perform as per the contract - BUT deicing aircraft is not one of those services, that's purely between airlines and service providers. 

Have a look at this article from Menzies : https://menziesaviation.com/news/menzies-aviation-announces-easyjet-contract-renewals-at-21-european-airports/

You'll see the responsibility for de-icing is contractual between Menzies and the airline. If the deicer breaks down and flights don't run, that's a contractual issue between two businesses. I imagine the relationship with the airport probably has contractual complexities of its own, but unless it's a safety violation, I see little need for anyone else to get involved. 

So Tim Crookall answered a question about this at the House of Keys this week . His answer was the airport are working with the 3rd party to ensure better resilience. This was my point exactly and absolutely right -work with Menzies don’t just sit back and do nothing which seemed to be your approach! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IOM said:

So Tim Crookall answered a question about this at the House of Keys this week . His answer was the airport are working with the 3rd party to ensure better resilience. This was my point exactly and absolutely right -work with Menzies don’t just sit back and do nothing which seemed to be your approach! 

That's not quite the point that was being made.  No one is saying that airport management shouldn't work with Menzies and the other suppliers.  But what can be done is limited by existing contractual relationships, made even more difficult by the fact that most of the more meaningful (to passengers) services are actual covered by contracts between Menzies and the airlines.  So Crookall can blather all the warm words he wants, but the actual power to change things may be limited.

4 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's not quite the point that was being made.  No one is saying that airport management shouldn't work with Menzies and the other suppliers.  But what can be done is limited by existing contractual relationships, made even more difficult by the fact that most of the more meaningful (to passengers) services are actual covered by contracts between Menzies and the airlines.  So Crookall can blather all the warm words he wants, but the actual power to change things may be limited.

Yes. But Menzies should have a protocol/check list of things that need checking/testing, hourly, morning, noon, evening, daily, weekly, monthly, etc.

And during winter, say 1/11 to 31/3 ( Or GMT period ) the de icing equipment should be checked at least weekly to confirm its operational. And there should be a maintenance and service schedule so that it’s serviced in September/early October.

And fluid  stock levels should be computer checked/anudited and auto ordered, with, say, a week’s stock in hand..

This by Menzies, no one else. If they don’t perform such checks they aren’t performing their duties and they aren’t serving airport, airlines or passengers professionally 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

No one is saying that airport management shouldn't work with Menzies and the other suppliers.  

But this is where you are wrong one poster was saying I wanted a Nanny State ( for the avoidance of doubt I really don’t ) and that nobody else should be involved . I happen to take the view that while contractually the responsibility lies with Menzies I would expect a team ( airlines , airport and Menzies ) to be working together which just happens to be what the minister thinks judging by his response . Seems an eminently sensible approach to me ! 

• Like 1