Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, finlo said:

I think that's more UV damage than dirt, although it is filthy.

what about the lazy bastards on community service ? we could have all the dirty mouldy traffic signs all looking spick and span , you would have thought the when  Fort North roundabout  was out of action  several weeks ago  the DOI could have got the jet washer on the road sweeper to  clean the black and white tiled surface , but sadly NO  they have no pride in their work   or in the environment , 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just my twopennorth ...... imo the ills of the airport could be debated under various headings, which I would annotate thus, in no particular order.

1. Slow passenger recovery since Covid closures.

2. Larger aircraft and Lo-Cost carrier always going to erode frequency and routes.

3. Large amounts of money spent in wrong areas.

4. Open Skies.

5. Toxic and overbearing management, with no appreciation of the role of an island airport.

6. Too many chiefs and too few indians.

7.  Introduction of reams of red tape and obstacles.

That will do for now, even if you don't agree with them all, won't require many to be true to explain where we are !

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, newaccount said:

Quite a few issues for Loganair today 

Yes, their operations seemed to stabilize a bit last week, but it all fell apart again yesterday (Monday) and that is spillingover into today. It looks like Titan weren't available to bail them out. 

Many of us give EZY a lot of stick, but since October, they have cancelled six flights (three in and three out) to/from IOM, and they were all on 21st January, when the Airport was effectively closed by high winds. In the same period, Loganair cancelled well over a hundred. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

Yes, their operations seemed to stabilize a bit last week, but it all fell apart again yesterday (Monday) and that is spillingover into today. It looks like Titan weren't available to bail them out. 

Many of us give EZY a lot of stick, but since October, they have cancelled six flights (three in and three out) to/from IOM, and they were all on 21st January, when the Airport was effectively closed by high winds. In the same period, Loganair cancelled well over a hundred. 

Loganair are an absolute shambles at the moment very poor indeed. Also the new schedule for London Heathrow is odd especially having two flights within a couple of hours of each other on a Saturday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Alfred Cannan is working hard on the latter part.

Sadly he won't do anything about the first part. 

Oh, I dunno. I'd say he's working hard on the first part, unfortunately 180⁰ in the direction that he should be. That is, of course, assuming that he does have any say in the matter. 

Another couple of days where aircraft and crews could have operated if only the airport was properly equipped to deal with the conditions.

This sort of disruption is obviously an acceptable alternative to spending money on the upgrades.

As far as I know, nothing more than the back of a fag packet type cost benefit analysis (CBA) has been done by people who would never be able to identify all of the costs borne by individuals and businesses alike. They probably haven’t even had a quote for the work required.

A one off expenditure for decades of benefit is surely needed.

CBA evidently stands for something different.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Another huge Loganair mess at Ronaldsway today. All flights (except the early LPL) are two, three, four hours late. 

G-LMTD, which only seems to be able to fly for a couple of days, before it breaks down went tech last night meaning that the LCY was cancelled (again) and the evening LPL got back here just before 23.00. 

I do appreciate that our options are limited, but we can't go on like this. Equally, Loganair must be wondering how long they want to carry on. The disruption costs must be wiping out any profits, and the constant juggling of aircraft and passengers must be putting their wider operation under pressure.

As I have said before, I do hope that DoI and/or DfE have a contingency plan for the day when Loganair finally throw in the towel. Have they, @Stu Peters 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Nellie said:

Another huge Loganair mess at Ronaldsway today. All flights (except the early LPL) are two, three, four hours late. 

G-LMTD, which only seems to be able to fly for a couple of days, before it breaks down went tech last night meaning that the LCY was cancelled (again) and the evening LPL got back here just before 23.00. 

I do appreciate that our options are limited, but we can't go on like this. Equally, Loganair must be wondering how long they want to carry on. The disruption costs must be wiping out any profits, and the constant juggling of aircraft and passengers must be putting their wider operation under pressure.

As I have said before, I do hope that DoI and/or DfE have a contingency plan for the day when Loganair finally throw in the towel. Have they, @Stu Peters 

That presumes Loganair (or anyone else) will ‘throw in the towel’. I’m not an industry expert but understand that as long as there are profitable routes there will always be airlines willing to service them.

What we need is a grown-up discussion about how important the airport and its airlines are in The Great Scheme Of Things. Obviously those using it will say ‘very’, but there are many others who would score it way below healthcare, roads or education for example. If you agree with the User Pays principle, it could mean higher charges for using the airport, to pay for things like landing lights and body scanners. Unlike (say) Dublin, our airport makes a significant loss, and money is tight. Costs are high, not because of management bloat but because we have to comply with international regulations if we want to fly further than Jurby.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1