Airport.

Billy kettlefish

The problem with Easy jet is they will make it impossible for other operators to compete on a route. We will always be the bottom of the priority list with easyJet come the busy times going forward. We will only have ourselves to blame if we allow their business model to dictate where and when we go anywhere !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The position realistically explored in 2006 .......

the no frills airline model is focused around the principal objective of flying a high volume of passengers in order to maintain low fares at a profit. Ryanair (2007) and EasyJet (2007) state their operational load factors as 83% and 83.7% respectively. For this scenario EasyJet will be used, as the airline currently operates from Jersey (see Chapter 7) and therefore could potentially be attracted by the demographically similar Isle of Man market. Easyjet operate Airbus A319 aircraft with 156 seats, and therefore fill on average 131 seats per flight. With the current passenger volumes and load factors at Ronaldsway discussed earlier, it is clear that a significant decrease in aircraft movements would occur with the introduction of larger aircraft relying on economies of scale. In fact EasyJet could only operate 5,835 movements per annum compared with the current level of 29,742 if it were to capture 100 percent of the airports passengers in 2007. To put the scenario into a more assimilative form, this equates to just 1 return flight a day to 8 destinations. Whilst this scenario is not realistic in terms of the likely composition of future services, one can conclude that current passenger volumes are insufficient to support a low cost carrier without cannibalising most if not all of the existing operators. Furthermore a significant reduction in choice for the consumer would occur, with much greater travel restrictions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, asitis said:

The position realistically explored in 2006 .......

the no frills airline model is focused around the principal objective of flying a high volume of passengers in order to maintain low fares at a profit. Ryanair (2007) and EasyJet (2007) state their operational load factors as 83% and 83.7% respectively. For this scenario EasyJet will be used, as the airline currently operates from Jersey (see Chapter 7) and therefore could potentially be attracted by the demographically similar Isle of Man market. Easyjet operate Airbus A319 aircraft with 156 seats, and therefore fill on average 131 seats per flight. With the current passenger volumes and load factors at Ronaldsway discussed earlier, it is clear that a significant decrease in aircraft movements would occur with the introduction of larger aircraft relying on economies of scale. In fact EasyJet could only operate 5,835 movements per annum compared with the current level of 29,742 if it were to capture 100 percent of the airports passengers in 2007. To put the scenario into a more assimilative form, this equates to just 1 return flight a day to 8 destinations. Whilst this scenario is not realistic in terms of the likely composition of future services, one can conclude that current passenger volumes are insufficient to support a low cost carrier without cannibalising most if not all of the existing operators. Furthermore a significant reduction in choice for the consumer would occur, with much greater travel restrictions.

Exactly what has happened to London ! Unbelievable that we have one flight a day serving the London market . 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, IOM said:

Am not sure I share your view on his. The new summer schedule shows Loganair flying to Manchester 4 times a day if they get driven out it will end up with two Easyjets at best at random times. This is exactly what has happened to London don't you recognise any value in frequency of service?

Business traffic is on its arse. Personally I care about cost and can shimmy my personal travel to suit flight availability. I get the benefit of regular multi daily, but I don't think its as strong as it once was and will likely never recover fully.

Loganair were already due to have 4 Manchester flights. They were on sale for the past number of months but ultimately got pulled. Now they do 2 per day and some days only once. Not that much better than easyjet...

I don't believe we will ever see 4 per day on Manchester with Loganair. They're jumping the gun because of imminent Flybe mk2 announcements I think.

2 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Business traffic is on its arse. Personally I care about cost and can shimmy my personal travel to suit flight availability. I get the benefit of regular multi daily, but I don't think its as strong as it once was and will likely never recover fully.

Loganair were already due to have 4 Manchester flights. They were on sale for the past number of months but ultimately got pulled. Now they do 2 per day and some days only once. Not that much better than easyjet...

I don't believe we will ever see 4 per day on Manchester with Loganair. They're jumping the gun because of imminent Flybe mk2 announcements I think.

You care about cost I care about frequency . It’s ridiculous to assume it’s all business travel to London there are a whole host of reasons why it is important to remain connected . The Isle of Man is as it says an island and there are only two ways to leave that’s by ferry or air there are no other alternatives. To leave it to one or two flights a day for a cheap fare is very short sighted in my view . 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, IOM said:

You care about cost I care about frequency . It’s ridiculous to assume it’s all business travel to London there are a whole host of reasons why it is important to remain connected . The Isle of Man is as it says an island and there are only two ways to leave that’s by ferry or air there are no other alternatives. To leave it to one or two flights a day for a cheap fare is very short sighted in my view . 

It's all about capacity though. The number of available seats isnt neccessarily less..  easyJet carrying 180 passengers versus Loganair operating the E145 carrying 40-50 passengers. Even the ATR at 70 pax. More capacity available to us with a single easyJet flight over 2x Loganair flights. What Loganair haven't grasped is that frequency shouldn't mean higher costs.

I detest paying £105 to Loganair when on the same day - just a few hours apart - I could pay easyJet £30 for the same journey. This happens all too regularly. When Flybe operated, the fares were much tighted and close together and I'd often choose convenience of time then for the sake of a few extra quid.

Plus as we've seen over recent days, when it's a blowin a hoolie, easyJet far more capable of operating than bloody Loganair too. Truth is that the Dash8's Flybe operated are the perfect aircraft for the Isle of Man and I hope they come back in full force.

Edited by NoTailT
  • Like 2

On 2/12/2022 at 3:24 PM, Non-Believer said:

Part of the problem is that it's self-perpetuating.

These people are also responsible for recruitment and are busying themselves topping up and increasing their numbers by people of their own ilk, regardless of any qualification or more importantly, even aptitude for the job. So we end up with structures full of incompetents and/or mates. Anybody with the appropriate quals or experience is a threat and needs to be driven out and disposed of. This is in both central Govt and LAs.

It's been going on for years and our politicians seem to be powerless to intervene, the only time I can recall any of them peeping above the parapet on the issue was Julie Edge last October-ish, and that's gone quiet.

After almost 40 years in broadcasting in many guises I thought I might have something to offer when the Communications Commission was looking for someone to join their 'team', especially when I saw the current lot with only limited qualifications/experience if any.

You'd think I might be a suitable candidate for such a relatively unpaid position.

Certainly not!

I got a response which almost said because of my history with this industry....thanks for your interest, but no thanks!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

easyJet far more capable of operating than bloody Loganair too. Truth is that the Dash8's Flybe operated are the perfect aircraft for the Isle of Man and I hope they come back in full force.

They wouldn't be if the xxxxxxx runway was open ! and fully agree re the Dash !!

Edited by asitis
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, NoTailT said:

It's all about capacity though. The number of available seats isnt neccessarily less..  easyJet carrying 180 passengers versus Loganair operating the E145 carrying 40-50 passengers. Even the ATR at 70 pax. More capacity available to us with a single easyJet flight over 2x Loganair flights. What Loganair haven't grasped is that frequency shouldn't mean higher costs.

I detest paying £105 to Loganair when on the same day - just a few hours apart - I could pay easyJet £30 for the same journey. This happens all too regularly. When Flybe operated, the fares were much tighted and close together and I'd often choose convenience of time then for the sake of a few extra quid.

Plus as we've seen over recent days, when it's a blowin a hoolie, easyJet far more capable of operating than bloody Loganair too. Truth is that the Dash8's Flybe operated are the perfect aircraft for the Isle of Man and I hope they come back in full force.

Capacity on its own is not the right answer for the island . This is exactly the problem with the London route EasyJet have driven all other competition off the route and now we have one flight a day at random times throughout the week and fares that can be quite expensive now . Some people want to do day returns and that is impossible as it is . What is required is a mixed model an EasyJet service which provides lower cost fares but no certainty to schedule timing supported by two flights a day one in the morning one in the evening with another smaller operator.  That way you get your cheap fares and I get what I need which is frequency . 

1 hour ago, bonatti said:

But what’s the answer?

Anything you put in place to favour frequency over capacity or subsidies for certain routes will upset Easyjet. Do you really expect that to happen?

Well the starting point should not be worrying about upsetting any commercial airline we should focus on the needs of the island and the islanders. Secondly if you look at the current supply ( as documented in earlier posts ) it is circa 11,000 with the Easyjet once a day service. Prior to the pandemic around 19000 flew from London in February rising throughout the summer. Ok the pandemic has hit some volume but not at effectively half so there is a severe shortage of supply to demand.

So you ask for the solution. Continue with the one a day from Easyjet circa 11,000 seats and supplement with two rotations ( morning and evening of another operator )with a smaller plane circa 6000 seats making a total of 17,000.  During the day the other operator can fill in with flights to either Liverpool, Belfast, Birmingham or Manchester. Offer incentives for any airline prepared to be based on island and thereby offering local jobs including crew and engineering. Such incentives can be there for any operator including Easyjet although I doubt they would be interested. That way you meet everyone's needs and demand and supply are broadly aligned. Plus those that want a cheap ticket get it or those that need a timed service with higher frequency get their needs met too. 

I’m with you IOM, I really am. But things have changed dramatically since the demise of Manx airlines and even more so over the last 2 years. 

And I think you’ll find that the vast majority of the Manx public want Easyjet to operate as many flights and routes as possible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bonatti said:

I’m with you IOM, I really am. But things have changed dramatically since the demise of Manx airlines and even more so over the last 2 years. 

And I think you’ll find that the vast majority of the Manx public want Easyjet to operate as many flights and routes as possible. 

Am not sure about that. The vast majority fail to realise that an Easyjet only model will result in one or two flights a day on the main routes and one or two flights a week on secondary routes. I know plenty who now realise there is a big problem with London. I don't wish to go back to Manx Airlines day the world has moved on but there is a happy medium as I have outlined above. If the island continues to only have one flight a day into London at random times it will suffer going forward with investment from business. The politicians have it in their gift to resolve it I honestly don't think its as difficult as it is made out to be! 

The markets need to be different. The only route that Gov should be considering providing any support to is London City. Anything else and they're fuelling private sector competition with Gov subsidies.

Ultimately Loganair were getting a pretty penny to do Manchester and Liverpool. Easyjet didn't get a look in and they literally told Jez and Annie that they're going to obliterate the route if they don't stop playing games. They didn't, the games continue and Easyjet continue to grow at their own commercial risk with zero Gov support.

Why should the Manx Public pay more to fly on a subsidised airline? Its bonkers.

• Like 2