Airport.

Billy kettlefish

41 minutes ago, newaccount said:

No they haven't.

Airports under 1m have an exemption.

3 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Ha! You can bet they will be forced to install and implement them within the next couple of years, bit like the RESA debacle.  

Pragmatism will dictate. Can you imagine the carnage with visitors, they can fly to the IoM from anywhere, without having to take out phones, tablets and laptops, or have liquids, pastes and gels sub 100ml and in a zipped clear plastic bag; but when they go home they can’t.

Recipe for total breakdown of the “already at its limits”  security scanning area.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Pragmatism will dictate. Can you imagine the carnage with visitors, they can fly to the IoM from anywhere, without having to take out phones, tablets and laptops, or have liquids, pastes and gels sub 100ml and in a zipped clear plastic bag; but when they go home they can’t.

Recipe for total breakdown of the “already at its limits”  security scanning area.

Don't worry yessir, we'll put up a sign to warn them. Quine and Cubbon £25.00, sorted.

We'll put one under that big car park sign with all the car parking charges that they must read at 6am in the dark whilst rushing for their plane!

Edited by Max Power
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Well except that even Heathrow and Gatwick won't have made the deadline this summer.  It will be a long time before everywhere is ready and there really shouldn't be the usual rush to have the latest toy and make all the adjustments to fit it in.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Don't worry yessir, we'll put up a sign to warn them. Quine and Cubbon £25.00, sorted.

We'll put one under that big car park sign with all the car parking charges that they must read at 6am in the dark whilst rushing for their plane!

That price for that sign is a bit on the cheap side. Stick another zero on the end and the job will be yours! 😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, asitis said:

Pity you changed your mind after all the meetings you had with locals, outlining what you were going to push for ! maybe not as much as a troll as you think I am !!!

How very strange, Stu. Is it your memory that's failing? I, too, remember all those vacuous promises that you made!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

He may not have had a direct say in who was chosen, but a lot of it will be about encouraging people to apply.

Well the application form certainly discounted the locals with extensive knowledge before the process started !

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dreamon said:

How very strange, Stu. Is it your memory that's failing? I, too, remember all those vacuous promises that you made!

I’m doing exactly what I said I would do, although experience of the public sector (where I had no previous) has of necessity tempered some of my aims. I just don’t make a fuss and dance about it like some.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, asitis said:

Well the application form certainly discounted the locals with extensive knowledge before the process started !

That's pretty much the situation across IOMG at the moment (I think there's now only one local NED on Manx Care now for example).  It's partly a sort of 'cultural cringe', and management culture that believes you will never be criticised if you just copy exactly what England does (even if everyone can see it will useless even for there).  But it's also because the whole purpose of NEDs isn't to advise and restrain management, it's to make it look as they do (of course public companies are just the same). 

So the last people you actually want are those with a deep knowledge of the area that is being covered - either geographically or operationally.  Instead you want people who have a knowledge of being NEDs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

[...]  experience of the public sector (where I had no previous) 

Wait till you find out who owns Manx Radio.  Are you going to be surprised!

(Also do you not think that working on current affairs for literally decades you should have picked up a little bit of knowledge about how the public sector works?)

• Haha 1

Just now, Roger Mexico said:

Wait till you find out who owns Manx Radio.  Are you going to be surprised!

(Also do you not think that working on current affairs for literally decades you should have picked up a little bit of knowledge about how the public sector works?)

I was a worker at Manx Radio and had nothing to do with management. I had a better understanding of the PS as a result and did pick up ‘a little bit of knowledge’ but you have to be in the belly of the beast to see properly how it operates compared to the private sector.

• Haha 1

An airport of this size just cannot be that difficult to run. There's just absolutely no need for loads of managers / board members / more managers / managers for supervisors / senior supervisors to manage the supervisors etc. etc.

It needs some ATC, ground staff, basic facilities / cafe, shop / toilets. The most important thing that it actually needs is improved approach lighting so aircraft can land in poor weather conditions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, swoopy2110 said:

An airport of this size just cannot be that difficult to run. There's just absolutely no need for loads of managers / board members / more managers / managers for supervisors / senior supervisors to manage the supervisors etc. etc.

It needs some ATC, ground staff, basic facilities / cafe, shop / toilets. The most important thing that it actually needs is improved approach lighting so aircraft can land in poor weather conditions.

You might think so, but most of the management jobs are a mandatory requirement by the regulators.

• Like 1