Airport.

Billy kettlefish

59 minutes ago, Kopek said:

Anyone know what the plane that goes over Douglas late evening is?

Sounds low and heavy and a prop.

11.30 last night, thurs.

Thanks...curious.

Coastguard helicopter from the hospital 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Two-lane said:

In this case it is a fool and someone else's money.

Any MHK made a comment about free parking?

Yes I have said in public and in DOI that I think it should be reinstated. However, the newspaper headline was disingenuous as it made it look as if only politicians got free parking - AFAIK it was made free to all government workers during Covid and never reinstated. I can afford to pay it, many people probably can’t.

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

Yes I have said in public and in DOI that I think it should be reinstated. However, the newspaper headline was disingenuous as it made it look as if only politicians got free parking - AFAIK it was made free to all government workers during Covid and never reinstated. I can afford to pay it, many people probably can’t.

The newspaper headline was a result of a letter I sent to the newspaper - the title of my email was "Free parking for MHKs". (The letter was not published, but was clearly the basis of the newspaper article).

It was phrased to provoke a response, because MHKs are supposed to be representing the electorate, not themselves. You are being disingenuous also, by saying that other people get free parking and therefore the MHKs should not be singled out. You, the MHKs, are responsible and over the past two years have done nothing about it.

At least my effort got onto the front page. Your efforts at making statements "in public and in DOI" have achieved nothing.

" I can afford to pay it, many people probably can’t" - there are many other people who cannot afford to pay for a parking space. They get the bus.

On another thread I have just posted an estimate of the lost income from the last two years - £500,000.

I know that the computation has big assumptions, but compare that to the £45,000 estimate from the increase in bus fares.

It did not take long from someone, Will Greenhow it was said, in one newspaper article, to decide to not charge for parking. But to reverse that decision seems difficult. It is reasonable for the public to be cynical.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And with Loganair you pay through the nose for the privilege of being delayed.

Yeh, but their awful social media team like to tell you "you get a 'free' bag, cup of tea and a caramel wafer" whenever anyone mentions anything about price.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

The people who pay for government can't afford to subsidise it like this anymore. Ever thought of that? Every time you post I'm shocked how much you've become one of the club.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

The people who pay for government can't afford to subsidise it like this anymore. Ever thought of that? Every time you post I'm shocked how much you've become one of the club.

Why? Because I quote facts or because you’re laying down markers for another campaign in 2026?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stu Peters said:

Why? Because I quote facts or because you’re laying down markers for another campaign in 2026?

Just some of the things you posted here recently. Really looks and feels as if you joined the gravy train brigade. Just being honest on how I (and I suspect others) perceive some of your recent posts.

I have ZERO plans to run as MHK again. Or Councillor for that matter. Maybe I do a stint as Mayor when I retire in a few years, but that's about it.

• Like 2

Given Daftnee's desire to de-car the IOM, maybe the government and politicians can lead the way and demonstrate the 15 minute city principle?

Maybe one day a month the CGO car park and all the others like Murray House, Goldie House can be closed for the day.

Whats the betting the majority of staff would just take the day off rather than try to use public transport?

7 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Alf's plan seems to be to tax us off the Island, not the island's roads.

I really don’t understand this.

It was a very modest tax increase which has just come in for most people, which in a lot of cases is more than offset by an increase in child benefit.

The increase for a person on an average mosh salary of £33k is about 60p a day.  Most people won’t even notice.

3 minutes ago, CrazyDave said:

I really don’t understand this.

It was a very modest tax increase which has just come in for most people, which in a lot of cases is more than offset by an increase in child benefit.

The increase for a person on an average mosh salary of £33k is about 60p a day.  Most people won’t even notice.

I'd rather 60p in my pocket where I can choose how to spend it than give it to them to piss away as usual. 

You can see the ethos when you have members crowing about taking £46k extra in bus fares from families with kids. Just so they can keep a seat warm somewhere in Banks Circus or CGO.  

15 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:
21 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Before sending the letter to the editor, I emailed Allinson and asked him about the car parking charges. His response was "I have yet to see such an order and will ask the current Minister about the progress of this." That means that he is going to do nothing.

He does not say that his has made efforts over the past two years, nor that his disagrees with the situation, nor that he, personally, is going to make changes. Nothing.

You, Stu Peters, say you have made a statement about this in a meeting. This is the way it probably went - you said "I think we should pay for parking". Everyone else in the meeting leaned back in their chair, yawned, stretched their arms and said "What's the next item on the agenda"?. They ignored you. You achieved nothing except, like Allinson, you could say that you asked a question. Wonderful.

You have to do something, achieve something for the money you are being paid.

None of you (MHKs) can say that you were unaware of the situation. This is a copy of something I wrote in another thread. It is rather forthright, but it is the situation:

------------------

Apart from the lost income, I was trying to draw attention to the mindset/mentality of politicians. When they drove into the car park each morning, what was going through their mind:

1. Nothing. They are a total numbskull who sees nothing beyond the end of their nose. When is the first tea break.

2. They are aware that normal people pay for car parking, but they refuse to say anything. They will vote for the rabble to pay increased fees and taxes, but are not interested if it affects the money in their own pocket.

3. They believe they are an supreme, elite being that not only should be paid a minimum of £71,000 per year, but that just about everything should be given to them free of charge. And we should be grateful for the opportunity to give them money.

4. There is no fourth option.

Morally deficient is a phrase that comes to mind.

---------------

You refuse to really speak out about anything because you do not wish to offend other MHKs or Civil Servants. You believe it is necessary to be on good terms with all of them. You have been assimilated into The Organisation.

You want to do something but all the gov. does is ignore you? How about next weeks newspaper headline is "Stu Peters says that all other MHKs are morally deficient in their refusal to implement car park charges".

Then you will have done something for the people paying your salary (and your car park charges).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1