Airport.

Billy kettlefish

The problem  with the 'Free Parking' argument is that many private companies also provide such and the 'Tax Man' does not regard this as a 'beneficial' anymore!

Not an excuse to provide free parking to some but put in perspective............?

19 minutes ago, Kopek said:

The problem  with the 'Free Parking' argument is that many private companies also provide such and the 'Tax Man' does not regard this as a 'beneficial' anymore!

Not an excuse to provide free parking to some but put in perspective............?

If you can find parking. Even the big companies struggle to find this for current/would-be employees at the moment. 

Just now, Kopek said:

My point was, Albert, that some co's do offer this parking and that the Tax man does not regard this as 'beneficial'!

Understood...though I'm only making the point that parking for employees is essential/critical for many businesses, especially in Douglas. 

Few will use the electric trams, steam trains and buses that some govt and train/bus spotter idiots keep pushing. Ain't going to happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CrazyDave said:

I really don’t understand this.

It was a very modest tax increase which has just come in for most people, which in a lot of cases is more than offset by an increase in child benefit.

The increase for a person on an average mosh salary of £33k is about 60p a day.  Most people won’t even notice.

The point is Dave, since they've been in, they've pissed away £80m on overbudget/failed projects, and raided the reserves from taxpayers to the tune of £40m plus for 2 years to top up a failed government pension scheme. That's the equivalent of the tax increase for 8 years of this tax rise.

In the meantime they have made no attempt at cutting the cost of the civil and public service. In fact they have bloated it further.

It's not a modest tax rise at all.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

The point is Dave, since they've been in, they've pissed away £80m on overbudget/failed projects, and raided the reserves from taxpayers to the tune of £40m plus for 2 years to top up a failed government pension scheme. That's the equivalent of the tax increase for 8 years of this tax rise.

In the meantime they have made no attempt at cutting the cost of the civil and public service. In fact they have bloated it further.

I was responding to your comment about taxing people off the island.  I made no comment about government spending.

In my opinion it really is a modest tax rise. Personally mine has gone up by less than 1 percent of income.  Most people have had a rise of more than that.

I really don’t think people are being taxed off the island as you stated.

19 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

You will dismiss this no doubt, but this administration INHERITED these problems and is trying to resolve them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Add on all the rises in indirect taxes and charges too.

I've asked the questions before, how long do they intend removing £100M pa from reserves, how long is it sustainable for,  what is anticipated to replace it? I'm still waiting for answers to any of them.

• Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

You will dismiss this no doubt, but this administration INHERITED these problems and is trying to resolve them.

By overseeing an increase in the Govt employee headcount by part of 700 during its term?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, newaccount said:

Coastguard Nobles hospital 

Why several times a week, standard transfer? emergency transfer?

It didn't sound like an Helicopter but then I'm not an expert?

RAF exercise???

8 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

And they will bequeath them without resolving them.

...and the circle of decline is complete. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

You, [Name deleted. I'm not picking on Stu here] say you have made a statement about this in a meeting. This is the way it probably went - you said "I think we should pay for parking". Everyone else in the meeting leaned back in their chair, yawned, stretched their arms and said "What's the next item on the agenda"?. They ignored you. You achieved nothing except, like Allinson, you could say that you asked a question. Wonderful.

You have to do something, achieve something for the money you are being paid.

None of you (MHKs) can say that you were unaware of the situation.

Two-lane, you are so right there.

To be clear, I'm not aiming my comments here at Stu, who I rather like, even if he is somewhat open to accusations of having 'gone native'. And (Stu) I appreciate your contributions and openness here. I think you're at the better end of the list of a 'bad bunch'.

Anyway, disclaimers aside, Two-lane I really think you've hit the nail on the head there. When the next election comes, we'll see many (all?) MHKs saying 'I'm standing on a platform of cutting out waste, whilst protecting essential services. I've attended all the right meetings and I'm clearly on record as having said all the right things'.

That counts for nowt. Only those incumbents who can show how they have actually cut public sector waste / costs / headcount / pension liabilities should be given a chance of re-election. Fine words are worthless. As you say Two-lane, do and achieve should be the test we apply.

So far I have a list of zero MHKs who are close to meeting that test. Nominations / protests welcome.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Albert Tatlock said:

And they will bequeath them without resolving them.

...and the circle of decline is complete. 

There has been a clanking sound emanating from at least the last four administrations.

It is the sound of cans being kicked down the road.

• Like 4