Airport.

Billy kettlefish

9 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

But it's a disc zone and it's free. 15mins in short stay and 30mins in long stay. 

That's better than having to pay anything. 

Not if you want to park for an hour ...it's not

Lots of people like to use a cafe ,have short meetings,have a drink with people on arrival or before departure. Why make it so difficult to do these things when it could be made so easy. The facilities might be better used if it was made user friendly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, emesde said:

Not if you want to park for an hour ...it's not

Lots of people like to use a cafe ,have short meetings,have a drink with people on arrival or before departure. Why make it so difficult to do these things when it could be made so easy. The facilities might be better used if it was made user friendly.

In which case it’s £3 for two hours.  About the same as a coffee in the cafe.

Whats the problem?

12 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

In which case it’s £3 for two hours.  About the same as a coffee in the cafe.

Whats the problem?

Nothing to do with the cost. But  do you really expect an occasional visitor to the car park to have to load an app and give credit card authorization to a UK company in order to go in and have a cup of coffee with someone they are seeing off. I really think there are easy friendly ways to buy a cup of coffee and this isn't it. It puts people off  for no reason and it doesn't need to .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, emesde said:

Nothing to do with the cost. But  do you really expect an occasional visitor to the car park to have to load an app and give credit card authorization to a UK company in order to go in and have a cup of coffee with someone they are seeing off. I really think there are easy friendly ways to buy a cup of coffee and this isn't it. It puts people off  for no reason and it doesn't need to .

You set it up once and barely have to touch it again. If you lived in the UK your phone would be full of apps for parking depending on where you were going for the day.

The app is cheaper for DOI to run that the barriers and upkeep of ticket machines.

Its not an issue at all, unless people want to make it into one, and the same sort of apps will likely be all over the island soon as ticket machines become less popular in the UK and so harder and more expensive to replace and maintain.

Edited by Anthony Ingham
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Anthony Ingham said:

The app is cheaper for DOI to run that the barriers and upkeep of ticket machines.

Maybe that's the problem,perhaps, our decision makers should ask better questions. Maybe asking "what is the best solution to the problem," rather than "what is the cheapest we can get away with " . Then we might have better outcomes with input from the right people.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, emesde said:

Maybe that's the problem,perhaps, our decision makers should ask better questions. Maybe asking "what is the best solution to the problem," rather than "what is the cheapest we can get away with " . Then we might have better outcomes with input from the right people.

I think it’s a much better system than barriers.  It’s perfect for mine and my families use and we never have a single issue with it. 

No potentially lost tickets, no faffing.  You can even pay before you get there so you don’t even have to think about it.

I really don’t see the issue.  We have an elderly family member who doesn’t like it (has never tried it to be fair.  Doesn’t like change 🙄) so someone else just does it remotely.  It takes about 60 seconds.

Sorry didn't realise that the minister had gone solely to one unliked system in order to save us from chaos.

Why didn't he just tell us this rather than telling us it would cost £250,000 to replace the barriers and they couldn't be repaired,and the machines couldn't take Manx pound coins and,  and,.and.

Us silly taxpayers didn't realise it was to save us from ourselves.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Beelzebub3 said:

I was at Belfast international airport dropping my son of this morning and I stayed for 10mins cost me £4 Belfast harbour airport is £3 for an hour.

It’s £6 for 10 minutes at Bristol , £5 Liverpool. Just everyone here thinks everything should be free to suit them 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Banker said:

It’s £6 for 10 minutes at Bristol , £5 Liverpool. Just everyone here thinks everything should be free to suit them 

I don't think anybody is querying the cost .it is the downloading of an app as the only way of paying that is the issue. At Bristol and all the other places mentioned I understand you can pay directly with a contactless card based on the time spent in the car park.

Why do we have to be so different from everywhere else.

The last time I was in the car park here it looked a mess,broken barriers ,no clear lane markings or directional signs. On entering the airport the old ticket machines were still in place with labels stuck on them . It all looked as if no-one cared  .certainly not a good first  impression for anyone arriving by plane.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, emesde said:

I don't think anybody is querying the cost .it is the downloading of an app as the only way of paying that is the issue. At Bristol and all the other places mentioned I understand you can pay directly with a contactless card based on the time spent in the car park.

The last time I was in the car park here it looked a mess,broken barriers ,no clear lane markings or directional signs. On entering the airport the old ticket machines were still in place with labels stuck on them . It all looked as if no-one cared  .certainly not a good first  impression for anyone arriving by plane.

Liverpool parking is pre booked if you want to pay a decent rate.

Our system is much easier and fairer.

Whats the alleged issue with using the app, or the website before home, or texting a number from the airport to pay?

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, emesde said:

But they wouldn't have car with them.😂

The airport is a failing business in any sense of commercial success v costs ! Under those circumstances I find it difficult to understand why they should choose to make it more unpleasant and difficult to use, it seems to me I would rather be developing systems whereby the customer experience was enhanced !

Of course the mantra of security will be thrown up but this is what comes of having imbeciles in charge who couldn't see a threat if it pissed on their legs !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 7