Airport.

Billy kettlefish

If it is true that people are choosing not to park because of decisions made re parking payments, it could go some way to explain the congestion at flight arrival times with people trying to pick travellers up.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If it is true that people are choosing not to park because of decisions made re parking payments, it could go some way to explain the increased, (it seems) congestion at flight arrival times, with people trying to pick travellers up.

Sorry friggin app said not posted.

Edited by asitis

11 minutes ago, IOM said:

To some extent yes . But there are choices you can get the bus , a taxi , park elsewhere and walk to the airport. Failing all of that you can go on the boat so there are options. 

But why make it difficult for people. WHY.  ??  And I guess their answer would be ....Because we can.

In the past I've used airports including this one for interviews for jobs. I used to visit one of the people based at the airport on a regular basis. Sometimes you didn't know how long a meeting would take.it was easy to park and pay on exit ,like in every other car park in the world. If you are meeting someone and want to take them for a coffee etc etc there is no flexibility or consideration for the needs / wants of the customer . It does nothing to attract custom or airport use . It is the autocratic dictate of a department that has little commercial sense and really no concern for the people who use it.

And quite frankly is encapsulated in expressions like if you don't like it you can always  use  the boat.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

7 minutes ago, emesde said:

But why make it difficult for people. WHY.  ??  And I guess their answer would be ....Because we can.

In the past I've used airports including this one for interviews for jobs. I used to visit one of the people based at the airport on a regular basis. Sometimes you didn't know how long a meeting would take.it was easy to park and pay on exit ,like in every other car park in the world. If you are meeting someone and want to take them for a coffee etc etc there is no flexibility or consideration for the needs / wants of the customer . It does nothing to attract custom or airport use . It is the autocratic dictate of a department that has little commercial sense and really no concern for the people who use it.

And quite frankly is encapsulated in expressions like if you don't like it you can always  use  the boat.....

For the same reason that any number of councils across use it as a system now for car parking . It removes the capital outlay for machines etc by the government /councils . It is the way the world is moving . 

You say why make it difficult then why do Tesco make it ‘ difficult’ to get their special offers ( in other words why do I need a Club card or their app ) if that’s the way you want to think about it . 

In reality Tesco are very good at marketing and making it feel as though you are getting something for free ( even when it’s not ) the government are just not good at marketing full stop ! 

• Haha 1

This isn't about The airport parking  v Tesco

As many others have said Ringo seems useful in  areas where it is used at many and varied venues and sometimes street parking. It seems not to be so clever in a situation like the airport a one off where it causes people to avoid using it because it doesn't meet their needs.

I believe car park use is down,income is starting to be on par with 3 or 4 years ago because of significant price rises .

And we pay an unknown amount to Ringo. In my view it could have been a much more commercial success and more user friendly.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, emesde said:

As many others have said Ringo seems useful in  areas where it is used at many and varied venues and sometimes street parking. It seems not to be so clever in a situation like the airport a one off where it causes people to avoid using it because it doesn't meet their needs.

I believe car park use is down,income is starting to be on par with 3 or 4 years ago because of significant price rises .

And we pay an unknown amount to Ringo. In my view it could have been a much more commercial success and more user friendly.

I am not saying it’s about the airport car park versus Tesco I am just using it to illustrate not everything is as it seems . Yes we pay Ringo because it’s all basically been out sourced . The alternative is the DOI have to find the capital to buy new ticket machines etc . They won’t get that capital as it is currently prioritised elsewhere so they have come up with the next best alternative which for some I recognise is not as convenient. But welcome to the world of financial choices I suspect you will see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future. 

1 hour ago, emesde said:

it could have been how it was with barriers and a coin or card payment system and then IOM GOV could have kept all the money instead of part of it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

How much would a new user friendly ticket machine actually cost to install?  Or have l missed something? I recently used the car parking ticket machine in Douglas, it worked perfectly. I used coins.

Edited by Lilly
Clarification added last bit
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Lilly said:

How much would a new user friendly ticket machine actually cost to install?  Or have l missed something? I recently used the car parking ticket machine in Douglas, it worked perfectly. I used coins.

It was quoted a long time ago as justification when they first brought in the Ringo system.  It was something ridiculous/obviously biased and £100k's 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

It was quoted a long time ago as justification when they first brought in the Ringo system.  It was something ridiculous/obviously biased and £100k's 

Yup if you don't want to do X but want to do Y, you make X look non viable !

You can get a extremely nice barrier system for the £200,000+ that is being payed to ringo and  the 30 odd % they will be getting every year we use their system. We could have one that takes cash cards and online just like what is in use at DBC car parks. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, emesde said:

I suspect it's more complicated than that, though no more flattering to those involved at the DoI.  If they simply replaced or mended the barriers, they would still be directly involved in providing an actual service to the public, something which they dislike and think beneath them.  They see their job as commissioning people to do that.  So they decided to outsource it to an outside company that uses an app.  I'm fairly sure they saw this as being a trial run for using the same system for all the other DoI car parks.

They then looked round for a suitable one and picked RingGo, presumably because a lot of councils use it.  But I couldn't find any airports that do.  This is because this sort of system works best for people who use it a lot of times in a year, as you would in a variety of local authority car parks in your area or someone parking daily in a company car park (which RingGo also do a lot off).  But at an airport most people are using it a few times of year at best but for days rather than hours.

So of course it's a mistake, but rather than admit it (it was supposed to be trial for the first year), the usual civil service reflex kicked.  The collective belief that none of them ever made a wrong decision and even if they did it should never be admitted means that they have ploughed on no matter how bad the consequences. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

10 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Back in the day the car park was producing around £600,000 income p a

COVID closed the car park and the barriers were removed.When they wanted to restore them they said they couldn't be  repaired and that they were the wrong sort. They claimed they had installed internal use barriers instead of external use. Then they couldn't use Manx pound coins in the machines then they said it was going to cost £250,000 to replace barriers ( then proceeded to buy barriers for a school in Laxey for a fraction of this)  it was lie after lie and really it seems they were intent on washing their dirty little hands of running the car park .

Then there was going to be a 6 months trial and report back . That was extended and was the last that was heard. Now it seems they are not saying how much RinGo earned out of this.

Lies, incompetence and downright disregard for anyone but themselves.

• Like 8