Airport.

Billy kettlefish

19 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Why would we want then to spend money on an antiquated system. No need for barriers and machines- either cash or not. Anyone with half a brain can use an app. If you haven't got a brain or are a bit past it then go to the information desk where they are very helpful. 

I can use an app thank you ,but I really am not that sad that I think I need one to park my car.i have used car parks in many airports  mainly across western europe but this is the only one where there are not more convenient methods of paying .ie paying on exit based on your time in the parking area  whether via a barrier or anpr cameras.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, emesde said:

I can use an app thank you ,but I really am not that sad that I think I need one to park my car.i have used car parks in many airports  mainly across western europe but this is the only one where there are not more convenient methods of paying .ie paying on exit based on your time in the parking area  whether via a barrier or anpr cameras.

I understand that. But then you will probably find you pay much more than you pay here. Also I wouldn't be surprised if more airports started using apps.

If we refurbish all the barriers, control system and ticket machines then that money has to come from somewhere. Perhaps common sense should tell us maybe it's a good time to move to a more cost effective way of doing it. If it goes back to the DOI to get a new barrier system it'll probably end up costing millions and still be shit and unreliable. 

11 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

I understand that. But then you will probably find you pay much more than you pay here. Also I wouldn't be surprised if more airports started using apps.

If we refurbish all the barriers, control system and ticket machines then that money has to come from somewhere. Perhaps common sense should tell us maybe it's a good time to move to a more cost effective way of doing it. If it goes back to the DOI to get a new barrier system it'll probably end up costing millions and still be shit and unreliable. 

Except I bet most of the income from parking goes to the app provider, just go back to the old system it worked

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

As has been said, the total sum that Ringo make is not commercially sensitive as you won't know how much is a per transaction charge and how much is a % of each transaction. As we've only been given the number of transactions and not the value of each one, then the only information we will have is the % of fees collected going off island.

As is apprant none of the money retained by DoI appears to be going towards maintenance nor has there been a reduction in headcount now that barriers & ticket machines don't have to be maintained or emptied of coins.

Now we have the figures, it would be interesting to see how much revenue has been gained or lost from parking fees.  

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

According to the guardian they only get 15p per transaction. 

I think that's the premium that the car driver pays over the car park pricing fee.

If the iom gov were willing to tell us we would know ,but it seems they were unable to answer that question.

The trust pilot reviews refer to considerably higher prices than that .I think they negotiate as much as they feel they can get away with. It's a German company isn't it ?

4 minutes ago, emesde said:

I think that's the premium that the car driver pays over the car park pricing fee.

If the iom gov were willing to tell us we would know ,but it seems they were unable to answer that question.

The trust pilot reviews refer to considerably higher prices than that .I think they negotiate as much as they feel they can get away with. It's a German company isn't it ?

I don't think it is. According to the guardian its what Leeds City Council pay them per transaction and they get the rest of the money. The end user pays nothing other than the charge.

According to the guardian of course. I would link the article but I can't get the dammed app to work. 

51 minutes ago, emesde said:

Anyone with half a brain can use an app. If you haven't got a brain or are a bit past it then go to the information desk where they are very helpful. 

Why are you becoming so offensive. Are the car fumes getting to you..?.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

According to the guardian they only get 15p per transaction. 

As I showed and illustrated a few days ago and as has been universally ignored since, according to RingGo, their standard terms are 3% plus 10p per transaction plus 10p per SMS.  Whether they have special terms for here to cover additional costs, I don't know. 

It's also worth saying that they don't handle the money, the client does and RingGo then invoices them on a monthly basis

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, emesde said:

Why are you becoming so offensive. Are the car fumes getting to you..?.

How did you manage to make my 'offensive' quote into yours?

For the record, not meant to be offensive. I understand some people struggle with technology but it's a fair do if they can just go to the information desk and they do it for you. I would agree that it would not be right to force people to rely solely on the app.

2 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

As I showed and illustrated a few days ago and as has been universally ignored since, according to RingGo, their standard terms are 3% plus 10p per transaction plus 10p per SMS.  Whether they have special terms for here to cover additional costs, I don't know. 

It's also worth saying that they don't handle the money, the client does and RingGo then invoices them on a monthly basis

That's useful Mexico. I'm sorry I didn't see your previous post. Seems a fair deal all round to me. 

The fees is see posted are only those incurred by the motorist. Is there also a contract between the car park owners and Ringgo?

Ringgo is not the only company operating this type of service. Therefore there must be a contract between Ringgo and the car park owner giving Ringgo exclusive rights.

Or something along those lines.