Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

How did you manage to make my 'offensive' quote into yours?

Gosh that was a bit of an own goal wasn't it🤣

Just highlighted it and pressed "quote selection".   A good reason for not wanting a high tec solution to a low tech problem🤣

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

The fees is see posted are only those incurred by the motorist. Is there also a contract between the car park owners and Ringgo?

Ringgo is not the only company operating this type of service. Therefore there must be a contract between Ringgo and the car park owner giving Ringgo exclusive rights.

Or something along those lines.

Is it not explained in Mexico's post?

9 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

As I showed and illustrated a few days ago and as has been universally ignored since, according to RingGo, their standard terms are 3% plus 10p per transaction plus 10p per SMS.  Whether they have special terms for here to cover additional costs, I don't know. 

It's also worth saying that they don't handle the money, the client does and RingGo then invoices them on a monthly basis

If the figures are so public why is IOMG being so guarded... negotiated their own 'special' deal or incompetence

9 hours ago, CallMeCurious said:

As has been said, the total sum that Ringo make is not commercially sensitive as you won't know how much is a per transaction charge and how much is a % of each transaction. As we've only been given the number of transactions and not the value of each one, then the only information we will have is the % of fees collected going off island.

As is apprant none of the money retained by DoI appears to be going towards maintenance nor has there been a reduction in headcount now that barriers & ticket machines don't have to be maintained or emptied of coins.

Now we have the figures, it would be interesting to see how much revenue has been gained or lost from parking fees.  

How does DOI know that they are getting their proper dues, i.e actual number of vehicles, length of stay etc? Is there a possibility that a Post Office Horizon scenario could be playing out, as in back office manipulation of data?

Does anyone know how they check the coming and going of vehicles against the information they get from the app information.

Is there a team of car reg trackers who check number plates regularly throughout the day. ?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people needed now than when you just bought a ticket and exited.

11 minutes ago, emesde said:

Does anyone know how they check the coming and going of vehicles against the information they get from the app information.

Is there a team of car reg trackers who check number plates regularly throughout the day. ?

I wouldn't be surprised if there are more people needed now than when you just bought a ticket and exited.

Yes, someone goes round with a note pad, train spotting style, and collects index numbers and then runs them through the computer.

32 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, someone goes round with a note pad, train spotting style, and collects index numbers and then runs them through the computer.

Thanks John .

So he must go round several times a day.....full time.... To ensure that someone booked in at 9am for 3 hours isn't still there  at 1pm. And one assumes that cars are coming and going all day parked for different amounts of time. I wonder why they don't use ANPR?   Even some hotels have been using it for years.Don't  Douglas use it in car parks?

How weird to go for a high tec  system and then use lots of Man power and pencils.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

How does DOI know that they are getting their proper dues, i.e actual number of vehicles, length of stay etc? Is there a possibility that a Post Office Horizon scenario could be playing out, as in back office manipulation of data?

Not really sure the two are similar.  PO bought a crap system from Fujitsu that had already failed in implementation for benefits payments.  There were bugs in the system which meant that some SPMs had shortages that they were required to make good.  Meanwhile, Fujitsu were working in the background to rectify errors made by the bugs making the situation much worse.  On top of that there were criminal prosecutions based on flawed evidence and accusations that the flaws in the system as well as the tampering were covered up.   There was also a huge cultural issue within PO that allowed the situation to develop and perpetuate. 

Not sure here is any indication that anyone is being 'done' by Ringo, either user or IOMG, but IOMG are being unnecessarily coy about the real cost and value of the system,  not that the system has inherent flaws. 

Posted (edited)

There is money to be made here. All you need is a computer (admittedly, a big one) and you get a percentage of a car parking fee every single time anyone parks a car anywhere. With no responsibilities. A one-off cost for the equipment. It is still up to the car park owners to employ a gang of enforcers (alias, parking wardens) - so that Ringgo can earn money.

This is a great concept. Why did I not think of it.

I wonder if Ringgo simply sits there waiting for local councils to ring them up, offering business, or does Ringgo employ sales people who go around "persuading" organisations to sign up.

Edited by Two-lane
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

You're not wrong there.

EasyPark is the parent company and in total they seem to employ around 1000 people. 

Together we are a diverse team of +1000 employees across the globe who stay true to our values while making cities more livable. We believe that our strong culture is one of the most important reasons why EasyPark Group today is a leading global parking tech company.

Ps.they claim 45 million annual customers.(Not sure if that means 45 million actual people registered )

Edited by emesde
Added ps

47 minutes ago, Gladys said:

Not really sure the two are similar.  PO bought a crap system from Fujitsu that had already failed in implementation for benefits payments.  There were bugs in the system which meant that some SPMs had shortages that they were required to make good.  Meanwhile, Fujitsu were working in the background to rectify errors made by the bugs making the situation much worse.  On top of that there were criminal prosecutions based on flawed evidence and accusations that the flaws in the system as well as the tampering were covered up.   There was also a huge cultural issue within PO that allowed the situation to develop and perpetuate. 

Not sure here is any indication that anyone is being 'done' by Ringo, either user or IOMG, but IOMG are being unnecessarily coy about the real cost and value of the system,  not that the system has inherent flaws. 

They are similar in the respect that there's a risk, bugs or no bugs. The risk that IOM Airport/DOI might not be getting what it is due, that's all I'm saying really. The fact that there isn't any indication doesn't mean it isn't happening or won't happen. What checks are in place (other than a bloke walking around with a clipboard)?

3 minutes ago, emesde said:

You're not wrong there.

EasyPark is the parent company and in total they seem to employ around 1000 people. 

Together we are a diverse team of +1000 employees across the globe who stay true to our values while making cities more livable. We believe that our strong culture is one of the most important reasons why EasyPark Group today is a leading global parking tech company.

What a load of codswallop!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, daisy said:

If the figures are so public why is IOMG being so guarded... negotiated their own 'special' deal or incompetence

It's partly force of habit I suspect.  They don't really think that anyone else, politicians or public, is entitled to know what they do.  They think we are all their servants and we should be civil about it.  It's actually getting worse under Cannan, even information that would have been supplied in the past is refused now.  For example last week they simply refused to answer a Written Question from Thomas within the time they should.  He had to put a question down in Tynwald to force them to do so and even then it was a simple refusal, though similar WQs have been answered without problem in the past.  Of course that was about how many civil servants are paid over £100,000.

But it's also because they assume that no one will or can look things up independently.  Possibly because they're not particularly keen on research themselves - they prefer to be presented with 'solutions' and don't think these need to be examined.  And a lot of them simply aren't that bright.  You advance in the Manx civil service by not asking awkward questions, especially not valid ones.

In this particular case there may well have been a special deal, but I doubt it was to IOMG's advantage because RingGo could have had extra setup costs to deal with the Isle of Man and the different patterns of parking used in airports may have needed adaptations.  That's even assuming that RingGo can't recognise a mug when they see one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2